Quick Forum Questions

Guest Ritchy

well, thank you all for answering! @strange, @charonY, @phiforall

as i have alluded to i am not a 'science person' by training or vocation, but as wit all human endeavors, I have a great interest in it, its uses and applications and potentials

On another forum where I have been for quite awhile (an entertainment- multi genre but mainly sci fi ) we have a lot of sub forums on various topics like you do here.

One is on fringe theories, conspiracy and anti intellectualism in general

but that discussion is "lighter" as we are a different type of forum from here. I have seen a growth , and yes, i have quizzed YT/google if there is a way to find a way to measure this growth, but no answer yet- over the last 10 yrs or so in the number of videos on things like flat earth and all other manner of nonsense

yes, its expected, as one of you said with the nature of the internet, but what i find concerning is how believers in these things have a intangible nexus of sorts, where all of these beliefs merge and they are all co-supporters of each other...the flat earth community spts the anti vaxxer one--the 'no gravity one spts the young earth one and so on

i will start a thread, what sub forum should i put it in, and, is it ok if i use (my material only) that i have posted elsewhere?

and no, this is not a social psych experiment! i am a long way removed from that part of my life and I am currently retired/disabled

thanks again

Depends on what you intend to discuss. If you want to talk about impact of social media and their effect on spread of misinformation, politics could be a place. If you want to discuss why folks believe it, somewhere in psych? General societal impact could go into other sciences. If you have an idea why things work out that way, you could also go for speculation. It really depends on how you couch the discussion.

• 6 months later...

a complaint: I am commonly using quotation by

etiquette , but this shows my own comment inside the quotation.

what an annoying thing 

Edited by ahmet

What are you even saying? Is this just telling everyone that the forum software which nobody here has any control over whatsoever is sometimes buggy? Yeah, OK. Agreed. So what?

Btw - Just ignore the UI buttons for quoting and code it yourself with tags. Way easier and more precise and avoids having your own quote at a sub-level.

Edited by iNow

13 hours ago, ahmet said:

a complaint: I am commonly using quotation by

etiquette , but this shows my own comment inside the quotation.

what an annoying thing 

You have to tick out of the Quote Window before writing your comment.

Right click the text you want to quote and a "Quote Selection" window will pop up.274409570_ScreenShot06-19-20at02_15PM.JPG.4eee2341a6243ab649046caaf150ae19.JPG

37 minutes ago, michel123456 said:

Right click the text you want to quote and a "Quote Selection" window will pop up.274409570_ScreenShot06-19-20at02_15PM.JPG.4eee2341a6243ab649046caaf150ae19.JPG

thank you for your suitable reply. lets see what I have been doing. (but for the quotation I won't use the original tags ,I shall use [/ instead [ and /] to help you better understand what I have been doing. :)

for instance assume please I am quoting on this text. then I do [/quote/] for instance assume please I am quoting on this text [/quote/]

and where is my failure? it includes my own comment ,too ,into the quotation.

44 minutes ago, michel123456 said:

274409570_ScreenShot06-19-20at02_15PM.JPG.4eee2341a6243ab649046caaf150ae19.JPG

I think I do this. 

oh, okkkkk!!! I newly realised haha :) when I pass over the text the option appears ,presumably it has been resolved! :)

I am feeling myself way more carismatic than before :) pahah :) :) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not quite too sure what to search for here other than 'Ranking' which doesn't seem to return a list, ,  I seem to be a Meson at present, but others are molecule, atom etc,  is there a list of these ranks somewhere please.  Just for interest. 

Thanks

Paul

Edited by paulsutton
typo and I am a Meson not a Quark

5 minutes ago, paulsutton said:

Not quite too sure what to search for here other than 'Ranking' which doesn't seem to return a list, ,  I seem to be a Meson at present, but others are molecule, atom etc,  is there a list of these ranks somewhere please.  Just for interest. 

Thanks

Paul

They are based on no. of posts.

8 minutes ago, paulsutton said:

Cool thanks,  so i guess I must have moved up at some point and not  noticed.

Paul

Yes. I think you move through the fairly quickly to start but gaps increase. Bob Hope of getting abover Supernerd... it's in the hundreds of thousands I think. :)

Hi

In an effort to try and promote Scienceforums more widely I have tried to write a review on my website

url deleted

This isn't published yet as it is still draft, but is still viewable,  I am posting here for some feedback,  my intention here to promote this website as I find it really useful, friendly and engaging,  hopefully we can attract more people to take part in discussions.

So firstly is it ok to do this,  ? and how does it sound so far ?

I am not a fan of Facebook (not on it) so welcome any forum such as this where discussions can take place.

Thank you for any help

Paul

4 hours ago, paulsutton said:

Hi

In an effort to try and promote Scienceforums more widely I have tried to write a review on my website

This isn't published yet as it is still draft, but is still viewable,  I am posting here for some feedback,  my intention here to promote this website as I find it really useful, friendly and engaging,  hopefully we can attract more people to take part in discussions.

I am not a fan of Facebook (not on it) so welcome any forum such as this where discussions can take place.

Thank you for any help

Paul

It kinda sounds like your trying to get hits on your website.

Edited by Bufofrog

5 minutes ago, Bufofrog said:

It kinda sounds like your trying to get hits on your website.

I put it on my blog (still draft) so it is easier for me to share the document as a draft review of this science forums website,  I want to promote this forum,  as it is really useful and helpful as a discussion platform.   I have already mentioned it lots of times in various posts to direct people here for further discussion,  ( I can't think of many places where I can ask stuff on cutting edge physics or science)

I can get hopefully get said article / blog published locally (Torbay) if it sounds ok,   so hopefully attract more users here,  so i am not intending to put my website link at the end.

Just trying to make sure that any review is a fair review of the site. 

Paul

7 hours ago, paulsutton said:

Hi

url deleted

Thank you for any help

Paul

!

Moderator Note

From Rule 2.7

Advertising and spam is prohibited. We don't mind if you put a link to your noncommercial site (e.g. a blog) in your signature and/or profile, but don't go around making threads to advertise it.

6 hours ago, swansont said:

!

Moderator Note

From Rule 2.7

Advertising and spam is prohibited. We don't mind if you put a link to your noncommercial site (e.g. a blog) in your signature and/or profile, but don't go around making threads to advertise it.

Ok sorry about that,  As I have written the article  about this website I am going to send it hopefully it will generate a few more members.  On the forum.

Regards

Paul

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, MSC said:

Can I post the same question in two different forums? Philosophy and Physics? Want both perspectives. 

Thanks all!

We generally only want one post per topic, unless your opening post phrases the question very differently. However, I would even discourage that as we are a relatively small community and chances are the same folks will be joining the discussion anyway. Making two posts would just unnecessarily split the discussion.

7 minutes ago, CharonY said:

We generally only want one post per topic, unless your opening post phrases the question very differently. However, I would even discourage that as we are a relatively small community and chances are the same folks will be joining the discussion anyway. Making two posts would just unnecessarily split the discussion.

Fair enough.

I can probably ask for both answer types on one thread anyway. The Physicist answer and the Philosopher answer. The philosophy of science answer... Seems like a silly question now considering the forum 😄

Thanks for your time :)

• 1 month later...

Is available on my screen so is likely local to your browser. The icon looks like a chain link beside the smilies and quote option. Try refreshing your browser. 

If it still fails, just manually wrap the text in URL tags in the following syntax (no spaces):

[ url=www.link.com]hyperlink text here then close URL tag[ /url]

Here’s how it renders once you do:

hyperlink text here then close URL tag

Edited by iNow

14 hours ago, iNow said:

Is available on my screen so is likely local to your browser. The icon looks like a chain link beside the smilies and quote option. Try refreshing your browser. 

If it still fails, just manually wrap the text in URL tags in the following syntax (no spaces):

[ url=www.link.com]hyperlink text here then close URL tag[ /url]

Here’s how it renders once you do:

hyperlink text here then close URL tag

Thx.

Yes it used to be somewhere near the smilies button. Now it appears as a <>"code" button. See screenshot below.

820634661_ScreenShot12-07-20at10_29AM.JPG.63e17018ef76fa5c947eaf7eabcd5e44.JPG