Quick Forum Questions

Guest Ritchy

29 minutes ago, michel123456 said:

Exactly

I don't know if that option is there any more but if you write directly in bbscript it will execute it.   

your text

x  without the x's

Edit: Can't write with the code showing instead of the box.

Edited by StringJunky

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

I don't know if that option is there any more but if you write directly in bbscript it will execute it.   

x  without the x's

Edit: Can't write with the code showing instead of the box.

I was trying to split a quote in two in order to answer the questions separately.

x  without the x's

But keeping the "StringJunky said:" part.

6 minutes ago, michel123456 said:

I was trying to split a quote in two in order to answer the questions separately.

But keeping the "StringJunky said:" part.

I don't know if there is a way to do it now but, in that case, I do it the way you have just done it there: Quote the whole post with the name in, then transfer sections into new quote boxes without the name header. I think it's clear who the  subsequent quotes are from.

Edited by StringJunky

Just now, Strange said:

You can also select some text in a post and then then a “Quote this” button should appear next to it. Clicking that copies the text into a quoted box in the reply 

That should be quicker.

1 minute ago, Strange said:

You can

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

also select some text in a post

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

and then then a “Quote this” button

On 4/7/2018 at 10:58 PM, Strange said:

You can also select some text in a post and then then a “Quote this” button should appear next to it. Clicking that copies the text into a quoted box in the reply 

Nice. Thank you.

However I miss the ancient system.

• 9 months later...

What is going on with all of these people who have come on here in the last little while and changed/added their profile picture? They all seem to have joined several years ago, only were on the site for one or two days and made zero posts, but now they suddenly decided to show up and change/add their picture. Seems odd. 

8 hours ago, arc said:

What is going on with all of these people who have come on here in the last little while and changed/added their profile picture? They all seem to have joined several years ago, only were on the site for one or two days and made zero posts, but now they suddenly decided to show up and change/add their picture. Seems odd. 

Without examples, it would be hard to comment

18 hours ago, swansont said:

Without examples, it would be hard to comment

I just noticed the same. Example from "All Activity" tab:

image.png.af150dbe1d85c4c40aa2004a70d2389a.png

Hovering over an example profile:

mem.thumb.png.99861d701f35e0d1301f50e4da6598df.png

Speculation/Guess: Some kind of indexing job that is running, and (unintentionally) the entries end up in the activity flow?

1 hour ago, Ghideon said:

Speculation/Guess: Some kind of indexing job that is running, and (unintentionally) the entries end up in the activity flow?

That would be my guess. I had a look at a few of the accounts yesterday and they seem benign. Sometimes we do have spam accounts that registered years ago suddenly make an appearance, updating their profile with photos and spam links, but this does not seem to be the case here. 

3 hours ago, Ghideon said:

That would be my guess, too, since the software was recently updated. Things may have looked "updated" as a result. The members in question have not logged on recently.

• 7 months later...

Hello. I hope this is the right place for such questions. I logged on to correct a typo. But I am unable to edit the post in question. I don't know if this is because of my status as a newbie or if there is a limited window to do it. It might even be a browser issue for all I know. I don't even really care if nothing can be done about it (no use crying over spelled milk). I'm really just curious and this seemed like a chance to notch up another post.

Edit: It would seem there is a limited window to edit your posts. Mystery solved.

Edited by Star Walls

• 3 months later...

how do i add to my profile items like personal info and location?

i am assuming those exist like in other forums? i dont believe i have ever used a forum on this type of platform before / used xenforo and vbulletin mainly

thxs

12 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Hmm. For me it is right there when I "Edit Profile". Don't know why you are not seeing it. May need a moderator to step in and help you.

i have been on other sites where you are not allowed to add an avatar (not seeing that either) or other info until you reach a certain number of posts/reputation

btw-- i hope no one takes stuff personal here, so many ppl at so many places cant seem to discuss without have a conniption 

thxs again!

4 hours ago, YJ02 said:

i have been on other sites where you are not allowed to add an avatar (not seeing that either) or other info until you reach a certain number of posts/reputation

We have several features like that, such as putting a signature in your posts, and limiting you to 5 posts the first day. (these are anti-spam efforts)

4 hours ago, YJ02 said:

btw-- i hope no one takes stuff personal here, so many ppl at so many places cant seem to discuss without have a conniption 

Rule 1 is civility, so we expect people to not get personal. 

I used the search function, but I think I may not be using a good enough search phrase/keyword and can't find what I am interested in asking/reading opinions on

that is, what is the level of concern -if any- to the rise on social media of non science and anti intellectualism?

In particular,  topics like, but not limited to, a disbelief in gravity, creationism, flat earth, refusal to accept that humans have gone to space/moon,  <more> ?

I dont want to start a thread -- well I am not even sure if one would be allowed--if there is already one up

thank you!

10 minutes ago, YJ02 said:

I used the search function, but I think I may not be using a good enough search phrase/keyword and can't find what I am interested in asking/reading opinions on

that is, what is the level of concern -if any- to the rise on social media of non science and anti intellectualism?

In particular,  topics like, but not limited to, a disbelief in gravity, creationism, flat earth, refusal to accept that humans have gone to space/moon,  <more> ?

I dont want to start a thread -- well I am not even sure if one would be allowed--if there is already one up

thank you!

I don't *think* there has been any discussion on that (or I haven't noticed it).

Obviously, like all science forums, this one gets its fair share of people with their own personal theories (mainly physics, but occasionally evolution or mathematics), conspiracy theories and anti-science agendas. These people have always existed but the web, and social media, gives them more opportunities and larger audiences.

I can't see a problem with you starting a thread on that, if you want to.

9 minutes ago, YJ02 said:

Usually if there is not a thread about a topic in recent history, feel free to start a new topic. Worst case scenario is that it will be merged with an existing thread. 

1 hour ago, YJ02 said:

a disbelief in gravity, creationism, flat earth, refusal to accept that humans have gone to space/moon, 

There have been topics that touched on these, but I don't think we have one specifically focused on them. I remember referencing a great article about how post-WWII American soldiers who didn't take advantage of the education opportunities offered through the GI Bill eventually became disillusioned when young college graduates ended up being their bosses. It started a whole chain reaction of anti-intellectualism and a poor perspectives on higher education in general. Very sad, and probably avoidable.