Quick Forum Questions

Guest Ritchy

It's the red arrow pointing down (next to the green positive rep) at the far right hand side of the post you are reading - is it not there? You don't get one if you are not logged in.

I believe you have given positive reputation in the past - is there now no longer a red down arrow and green up arrow and small grey/green/red box in the bottom right hand corner of each post

Are you posting from a pc or a mobile device - I have never worked out how to give reputation on a mobile device.

Yea, I've got the green button. No red button. Run PC. I'm logged in. Maybe I need more posts? Not that concerned though, the only post I've felt compelled to down vote had already been done so by a couple others.

• 2 months later...

You mean in thread? You can respond to moderator warnings just not in the thread they appear in (so as not to further derail the thread) I think you can PM or use the report post button on the moderation post to reply offline.

Why does it say we shouldn't respond to moderator warnings?

pears is right. Responding to a mod note in the thread is off-topic and serves to derail the discussion further than has already happened, which is something we wish to avoid.

What is (if any) the difference between the fast reply and reply?

I don't think you get the opportunity to add files/photos etc to your post in the simple reply box - you need to hit the more reply options key to get those options. You also get the launch whole thread in new window button which can be kinda handy if you are typing a long reply with bits from all around the thread.

Can you hyjack your own thread. Say I asked a question on my own thread, and then it gets answered. If I have a question on kind of the same topic, can I ask it there instead of starting a new thread?

3 reasons to open a new thread instead of posting a 2nd question in an existing thread:

1. There is no limit to how many threads you can open, so there is no reason not to create a new thread for a different topic.

2. People start ignoring certain threads they're not interested in, so it is better to open a new thread to attract all the attention that your new question deserves.

3. You are not the owner of the threads you open. Maybe your question is answered sufficiently for you, but maybe someone else doesn't understand it yet, or wishes to add something else. A thread is not finished just because the OP says so.

If a new question is very much related to an existing thread, just open a new thread, and place a link in the 1st post to that old relevant thread.

I tried to post a question about Carolina Bays as a new Geology topic. I composed the question off-line in Word, then tried to cut and past the simple text into the box. Nothing appeared. I read where newbies should eliminate any URLs in a first post, which I did. Still nothing by using cut and paste. Please advise? Will I receive an email if my question is answered, so I don't have to search for it?

Did the pasted text ever appear in the editor window? If not, then you didn't properly copy/paste. If it did appear, but then disappeared when you tried to post, that's a separate issue.

You can setup your account to receive notification emails when new posts come in. It's a combination of steps. First, you click Follow this Topic on the top right of the thread. Next, you go to your user settings and update notification preferences.

http://www.scienceforums.net/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=notifications

Edited by iNow

No text appeared using conventional cut and paste action. I also clicked on the clipboard symbols at the top right of the toolbar with no effect, repeating the cut and paste action. Is there an explanation as to how to cut and paste for new topics which might be different from that employed by Word? I had no problem using cut and paste for adding comments to other posts. I also added the email notices to my profile, thank you.

Nothing is different here for cut/paste than it is elsewhere. If I had to guess, you never copied the original text correctly. It probably never made it to your clipboard. If it had, you should be able to paste it here no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at the ban list and I noticed that many of them are sockpuppets(different accounts of same user) of original users who had been banned. Couldn't the IP simply be banned or are the users simply using multiple access points(I am a customer of IP.Board so I am assuming that users can be IP banned)?

when i was suspended i was not able to log out

y was that happened?

I am having the same problem as coden3 asked about a few posts back. I know how to cut/copy and paste thank you very much. When I paste to a reply box, nothing appears. The copied material is on my clipboard as I checked it using Clipboard Viewer. Neither does the quote function work for me. I don't have the problem in other applications. Little help?

so i can logout when i m banned?

No, you cannot. Can you change the ring tone on your phone when the battery is dead? Can you reorganize your room when you are locked out of it? Can you change the channel on your television when the power has been shutoff? The answer to all of these questions is the same as the answer to "can I change my account settings or logout after I've been suspended or banned."

I am having the same problem as coden3 asked about a few posts back. I know how to cut/copy and paste thank you very much. When I paste to a reply box, nothing appears. The copied material is on my clipboard as I checked it using Clipboard Viewer. Neither does the quote function work for me. I don't have the problem in other applications. Little help?

At the top left of the text editor is a little toggle switch that changes the interface from code based to quicklink based and back again. If you click that and change the editor type, does the paste fail in both, or in only one of the editor window options?