Quick Forum Questions

Guest Ritchy

Trying toggle...Trying toggle Voila! Pasting works from copy. Trying a link...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain Well, that pasted but will check after Post-ing to see if it displays as a link. I see with the toggle down I lose all editor functions such as emoticons and inserting images though. That's not good. Will check if I can quote.

As to browser I have IE. Since it works everywhere else this must be a problem specific to this forum. I have no plans to add another browser. If the admins can't fix the problem so be it. I'll make do without the quotes and type out whatever I have to.

The reason I suggested that is because the editor functions on the current version of forum software sucks total ass. I choose to circumvent it entirely after far too many frustrations and problems with it and have since used only the code-based interface as my primary.

Regardless (and while obviously not ideal)...At least now you have a workaround. You can always toggle to the code based editor, paste your text, then toggle back to the standard interface.

The reason I suggested that is because the editor functions on the current version of forum software sucks total ass. I choose to circumvent it entirely after far too many frustrations and problems with it and have since used only the code-based interface as my primary.

Regardless (and while obviously not ideal)...At least now you have a workaround. You can always toggle to the code based editor, paste your text, then toggle back to the standard interface.

OK Quote works with toggle down. Switching back after quote I can bold and italic. Yep; can work around the rest I think. Thanks.

You mean, like this?

Edited by iNow, 11 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

If so, then yes.

EDIT: It's added after you make it, and is unrelated to the time limit available for edits. There is, however, also a time limit. I think it's about 4 hours or maybe 12, but one of the staff can confirm.

Edited by iNow

Sometimes posts have appeared to change without the line appearing. I've never not seen it on mine, but don't always see it on others.

Edited by imatfaal
Mods can edit others posts and will almost always explain why here

Sometimes posts have appeared to change without the line appearing. I've never not seen it on mine, but don't always see it on others.

There is a little check box at the bottom of the data entry panel. It reads "Reason for edit: <Here is where you put your reason> "and then the check box with Show "Edit by" line

Edited by imatfaal
Ta Dah!

• 1 month later...

It means that the thread has been moved to another subforum by the Moderators. If you let your mouse pointer hover over the arrow it says: "This topic has been moved" and if you click on the thread you will automatically get directed to its new location.

• 4 years later...

The sign-in screen gave me some fits just now. I'd been using facebook, but that didn't work. I got a new password via email, and sign-in gave me an error, but then logged me in. Maybe it picked up that I was logged in to another window. I'll log out now, and try to sign-in again. If you don't hear from me again, I'll be somewhere in the aether :)

I exited my browser and started it again. ScienceForums came back OK.

Edited by EdEarl
all ok

• 1 month later...

Never.

For a while, the option existed for any of us plebes to write our own user titles, but at some point the staff changed permissions such that only Staff could change titles a little while later. Regular members no longer had the option (could’ve been upgrade related, but I have no idea).

Anyone who’d already changed their user title (I believe) got grandfathered in and were able to keep it, however today these can only be changed upon request (and even then only after the request is approved).

8 hours ago, Raider5678 said:

At which point do you get to change your subtitle?

Like Imatfaal's is lazy do-nothing mudslinger.

imatfaal is on staff, and as such has the power to adopt a custom title. A perq of donating time. As iNow said, there was a version of the board software where this was accessible to some other members (I think after they had reached a certain number of posts)

10 hours ago, iNow said:

Never.

For a while, the option existed for any of us plebes to write our own user titles, but at some point the staff changed permissions such that only Staff could change titles a little while later. Regular members no longer had the option (could’ve been upgrade related, but I have no idea).

Anyone who’d already changed their user title (I believe) got grandfathered in and were able to keep it, however today these can only be changed upon request (and even then only after the request is approved).

Well, that's slightly disappointing.

I was thinking it was 3k posts or something.

13 hours ago, iNow said:

Never.

As I have just discovered, there is still a post limit after which you may still change them. It is 1000000 posts, which is as good as never. 

4 minutes ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

As I have just discovered, there is still a post limit after which you may still change them. It is 1000000 posts, which is as good as never. 

Lets hope no one sees that as a challenge ...

6 minutes ago, michel123456 said:

In previous Forum, when quoting, it was possible to change the editor (I cannot recall how it was called) where the

You mean where, instead of seeing the quote box which you put text in, it showed the code  for the quote box. I can't write it in here because it brings up the box instead of the code I'm trying to show.

Edited by StringJunky

4 hours ago, StringJunky said:

You mean where, instead of seeing the quote box which you put text in, it showed the code  for the quote box. I can't write it in here because it brings up the box instead of the code I'm trying to show.

Exactly