Quick Forum Questions

Guest Ritchy

Often a hard refresh of the browser (Ctrl+F5 on Win or Command+R on iOS) is sufficient. This sort of thing happens often when cached versions of pages get loaded and avoids need for full session logout / creation of new session. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, iNow said:

What sidebar?

A column taking up about one-third of my screen that lists statistics, popular posts and images. It appeared today - i assume, in response to my hitting a button I didn't know was there. (You know how in Star Trek, any of the bridge crew can approach the helm of a spaceship owned by any other species in the galaxy and figure out in three minutes which lighted panels with weird squiggle on the control panel will make what happen? Well, I'm not on the bridge crew; I'm the barber.)  

3 hours ago, iNow said:

What browser?

Firefox.

3 hours ago, iNow said:

Mobile or laptop?

laptop

3 hours ago, iNow said:

Do you have a screenshot?

no... a what? 

3 hours ago, iNow said:

Are you ready to accept that it probably cannot be turned off?

Oh, always. But it did get turned on, so I figured it's worth an ask.... 

• 5 months later...

I noted today that the report function may have changed. Previously a post was locked for report once a report was made. Now it seems possible for a member to report a post multiple times. Don't know if this is an intentional change or if reports are not working, resulting in possibility to retry (there is no error message though). Or something else; hard to tell without insight.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Existential Dreams said:

Can i ask if there are any rules about Spelling and Grammar

Not that I know of. We even have Americans posting here, with their quaint version of English, but we still manage to communicate. 

1 hour ago, Existential Dreams said:

Can i ask if there are any rules about Spelling and Grammar  , due to the fact i have dyslexia and other learning issues  but would like to be a part of the forum and be a member here in the long term  

Quite a few people post here for whom English is not their first language and thus don't always do well with spelling and grammar. As long as we can figure out what people mean that is what counts.

Welcome!

Yes, welcome and don't worry about the spellung.

Most of my posts seem to be edited witht he words "excuse = speling "

Just do your best and remember to laugh at the jokes.

PS I hope you know some good new jokes.

:)

15 hours ago, Existential Dreams said:

Can i ask if there are any rules about Spelling and Grammar

From our Etiquette Guide (thanks again, Cap'n!): 

Grammar and Punctuation

Please try to use proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation when you post. It is much easier to understand a post when it is not full of run-on sentences and such. Sure, this may add a few seconds to the time it takes to post, but are you in that much of a hurry?

If English is not your native language, and you don't have good grammar, that's fine; we don't bite. Just try to do your best.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Immediately after reporting spam I noted that the member had zero posts. My guess is that a moderator had already acted but there is some delay before posts are hidden?

Is it advisable to check post count before reporting obvious spam? I wish to avoid causing extra work for moderators for things already solved. 

image.png.1d617da2db8247641e9dd02f9d93f8f0.png

• 11 months later...
1 minute ago, TheVat said:

Right-hand corner. Three little dots. Click.

(provided you do this within the time window, which is..?  Half hour?  Mod?)

So there is a time limit to editing a post? I noticed the "Edit" item in the post above but not in another post of mine that I wish to edit.

1 minute ago, KJW said:

So there is a time limit to editing a post? I noticed the "Edit" item in the post above but not in another post of mine that I wish to edit.

Keeps everything honest, and members are accountable for their mistakes.  Also discourages some types of flaming and trolling, by preventing deletion of "evidence."  

And of course encourages proofreading of your post and prompt correction.