Skip to content

studiot

Senior Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by studiot

  1. Most interesting since I have never heard of indexicals, though I understood your excellent explanation immediately. Is this really an English word ? as I cannot find it in my Oxford ? Or rather I can but not as a noun with your meaning; it is described as an adjective relating to an index. +1 I refer to your claim that 'nothing' cannot exist To which I replied Questions to which I have yet to receive a reply. Since you can't do mathematics I tried to offer a physical example. I also offered you the hairy ball theorem more recently. and again received no reply.
  2. Yes. My answer is as helpful or unhelpful as your response. Look here to see what other members say when they don't know about something. https://www.scienceforums.net/topic/140630-the-2026-nobel-chemistry-prize-and-the-fermi-paradox/ Damping is a well studied physical and mathematical phenomenon that involves both growth and decay; persistence and non persistence , that can be worked both ways in time. But you apparently, and knowing next to nothing about the subject, dismiss it by assumption. And mentioning nothing, you still haven't offered an answer to my earlier question about nothing. Interestingly the so called Hairy ball theorem is the reason why real 3 dimensional spherical EM (light) waves cannot exist, all due to a requirement for nothing.
  3. Here are three things I found interesting about the prize and its subject. 1) The discovery initially concerned a question that has puzzled scientists for more than a century. 2) The timeline from the initial discovery (mid 1980s) to the second conclusive discovery was 20 years with a further 20+ years before the Nobel. 3) The second discovery also showed how unstable the chemistry could be and how thus how quickly reactions pertinent yo life could spread. It point 3, not about the reactions themselves, but their instability and ease of spreading that suggests Life may be much more widespread around the Universe than we think and this is directly opposed to Fermi which proposes how rare Life must be so it becomes an issue of Chemistry v Statistics. I am also surprised that the Nobel has not received attention here with all those active members who are chemists of some sort.
  4. More piffle. If you want to find out what might be considered the opposite of persistence I suggest you go and study the subject of damping. But then you have yet to answer my question about nothing, after four years of deliberation.
  5. Doesn't this years Chemistry Nobel throw new light ( and doubts) on the Fermi paradox ?
  6. If that happened I would call it an emergent phenomenon. 😄
  7. @Trurl You have asked several apparently unconnected questions in your opening post which I find prretty confusing. The short answer to seeing the Higgs Boson is that it does not interact with (real) photons, which your eyes use to see by. So even if we could find some electromagnetic radiation of short enough wavelength it wouldn't 'see' the boson. As regards pattern recognition, cryptography, DNA and modern Physics I recommend yo get a copy of Liam Graham's book "Molecular Storms" Liam inquires into all this in a digestible manner. There is also some additional material on his website The Material World - Molecular StormsThe Physics of Stars, Cells and the Origin of Life
  8. One point I noticed in the article is that it is passengers that get to feel sick (or not) not the drivers. The only electric car I have driven is a Kia Niro; I have also been a passenger in it and several others, including hybrids. I did not experience any difference in any of them, apart form the obvious different handling characteristics. The only annoying factor for me was finding how to turn off the annoying lane following feature, which I consider dangerous.
  9. BBC NewsWhy electric cars might be making some passengers feel sickResearch shows there are several reasons people might experience motion sickness in electric vehicles.
  10. At the end of September I went on a field trip I can thoroughly recommend to anyone visiting Devon. I bought the last ticket and we sailed from Exmouth, first Eastwards along the Jurassic coast, then turned and headed past the Exe estuary and south along the Devonian/Carboniferous coast. Lunch and (and a bar / cafe) on board and the trip leader had laid out samples of each rock type encountered on a table. These included the uranium/vanadium nodules from Littleham Cove and Dreikanter pebbles from the Aeolian sandstone. The Jurassic coast has beaches, and platforms along the shore. The older rocks had cliffs plunging straight into the sea, at depth and it was amazing how the large boat was manoeuvred and held almost within touching distance from these cliffs. Chris Woodward, the guide provided a 6 hour running lecture through the PA system and it was easy to hear this through the PA system.
  11. studiot replied to DrmDoc's topic in The Lounge
    Today I learned that the carrying power of a stream or river is proportional to the sixth power of the velocity.
  12. Yes you are right there is interaction between conduction fluids ( not just ionic solutions, but even non ionic ones) but it is generally of a different nature from eddy currents. Two techniques that employ this are Nuclear Magnetic Resonance and Magnetohydrodynamics. Eddy currents are caused by the interaction of 'free' electrons in the conduction band of metals. Remember, however that ions have a much large mass than electron so the same field will have lesser and different effects on them. The smallest ion is 1800 times more massive than the electron. When we consider magnetohydrodynamics another effect occurs. Bulk metals are electrical neutral (charges balanced) by nature but plasmas are usually charged.
  13. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easterlin_paradox What about it ? Here is a much better expert from the same era on the subject.
  14. Relativity dear sir. Photons do not experience time, all their journeys are executed in zero photon time.
  15. Chrome Fox 😀 Ever since their new parent I understand.
  16. Well dang me! Why don't I get myself one of those little old smartphones that the world and his donkey can use on my behalf ?
  17. If you use Hive home automation almost certainly not, if you use Alexa or a BBC smart speaker or similar almost certainly. But once again it depends upon what they do with the information. The above actually provide a useful (to some) and wanted service.
  18. Even light itself is subject to the constraint I mentioned. Light travels along worldlines orthogonal to the time axis and is obstructed where ever its world line intersects that of a material object.
  19. Thanks for replying, glad to see you back after the platform issues. Thanks also for the extra information. +1 A couple of points though. My original post was not about computers, but televisions, which should not be spying on anybody a la 1984. The second point is about what the collectors of this information do with it. The information about private life is neither good nor bad, unless someone is trying to hide illegal/unethical activity. I have never worried about Google, because I have always gained more from their services than it cost me in privacy. With Microsoft it is different. I have lost functionality with every new version of their products since XP, at an ever increasing rate. If they know what I want, why don't they offer what I want to buy ? Surely that is the first rule of business ?
  20. I though I had already consigned mate selection to the sidelines of evolution. At any rate @Linkey has not replied to demonstrate a connection.
  21. I think you miss my point and what you are describing is not quite the same situation as described in the OP. My point was that in order for a material object to move along a given singe dimension continuum the path in that single continuum dimension has to be clear (as in unobstructed by other material objects). Alternatively the object has the leave the defined universe (single continuum dimension) travel in some other universe and return to the original universe somewhere (somewhen) else.
  22. Time travel as portrayed in any scfi situation I have ever come across is not possible in our universe. It is conceivable in the following way in a differently constructed universe. Imagine (or get MigL to imagine) that you are walking down a road and come across an obstruction, completely blocking the road - say a fallen tree, wall or landslip. Happily there is a side road just before the obstruction so you can turn down this side road until you come to the next road parallel to the obstructed one and continue your journey along that road. You could then turn down another connecting side road to return to your original road. Solid objects can't pass through each other, which is why the road is blocked. However you can side step because the situation I have described is 2 dimensional in space, even though an individual road is one dimensional. There is a second dimension in space for you to travel along. But our universe has only one time dimension so you are stuck with it, like you would be along the road if there was no side turning. Any form of loop requires 2 (or more) dimensions. There are two famous problems - riddles in topology that you may have heard of. The Koenigsberg bridges problem and the connection of 3 services to three houses problem, which can be solved in 3 dimensions but not 2 in order to avoid loops in space. There are also more complicated situations in 3 dimensional space that can be solved in 4 D to avoid loops. We call these knots. https://www.britannica.com/science/Konigsberg-bridge-problem https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_utilities_problem Edit Oh and don't believe what AL tells you as it is often wrong, although it can be useful if used with caution. Did you read the disclaimer that comes with all of them ? It is not gospel.
  23. Evolution is about events of change. In which case Linkey needs to make a proper reasoned argument and explain what difference 'handicap' makes to evolution and why. Has it ever affected major evolutionary events such as the transition from sea to land, the development of eyes, ears etc ? Mate selection can only affect events in a very small way, if at all. And what about all those organisms that do not use sexual reproduction and mating. They are after all the majority of Life and always have been.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.