The 'new' Swansont

MigL

I do not think that the colour does much, except giving it a more contrasty look. That, however is typically not necessarily associated with what is probably meant by sirenesque. Rather, it is used to create a contrasty, dramatic look, which accentuates the lighting.

While the light itself is soft (note that the only shadows trace her cheekbones and jawline), but very directional (with at least an additional light to highlight the hair). That is rather typical of classic dramatic Hollywood shots.

What makes the image appealing, or sirenesque, however, is the pose and use of hair. Not only is the face framed by it, but it also conceals an eye. That directs the viewer almost immediately to the other eye, which directs to a point outside of the frame. So the viewer is almost directed to an unknown event outside of what can actually be seen. That lends a bit of mystery to the picture, which is supported by the almost hidden statue of a panther. The prop actually also further accentuates the jawline but, together with her hair, hides almost everything besides her face.

Other than that a black and white pic does not really add that much to it, although it can hide some quality issues of the pic and does not suffer from bad white balance, obviously.

Edited by CharonY

Maybe we could use that as a form of punishment. Instead of suspension, we just Jar Jar your avatar.

That's too cruel IMHO. And inappropriate.

Jar Jar was traitor-idiot.

He betrayed the whole galactic republic by proposing additional power for Chancellor, creating him Emperor.

How can I change my Avatar , ? Because this is what I really look like ? I don't want to look any different .

Anyway , you guys are ' prating around ' while I am stretching my brain cells for words !

I think I better find an Avatar of some old ' sage ' with white hair and a long beard . Traipsing about the Countryside !

Hang about , that's what I look like anyway !

Can't win !

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

I'm only just noticing these new posts and I am feeling a little left out with my 5 year old avatar. Must be distracted by all those extra up votes I keep getting because of my vagina.

Your nickname is not feminine.

Your avatar is not feminine.

You were/are gaining some up votes in banning/suspending people, that are inadequately increasing mods/admins reputation,

but you have also plentiful "right" upvotes for knowledge that you have showed and shared with others who asked for it. Unlike her. I have not seen any single her post I would like to upvote.

Upvoting your post, except in banned/suspended section, is just because of your knowledge (which should be appreciated), not sex.

Some might not even know you're woman. And that how should be in science community. Knowledge should rules over sexualism and sexism.

Even though we have spring, and some might not control their hormones on the leash..

Your upvotes (except banned/suspended section) seem to be well deserved.

Edited by Sensei

Your nickname is not feminine.

Your avatar is not feminine.

You were/are gaining some up votes in banning/suspending people, that are inadequately increasing mods/admins reputation,

but you have also plentiful "right" upvotes for knowledge that you have showed and shared with others who asked for it. Unlike her. I have not seen any single her post I would like to upvote.

Upvoting your post, except in banned/suspended section, is just because of your knowledge (which should be appreciated), not sex.

Some might not even know you're women. And that how should be in science community. Knowledge should rules over sexualism and sexism.

Even though we have spring, and some might not control their hormones on the leash..

Your upvotes (except banned/suspended section) seem to be well deserved.

Well, you are right that most people now assume I'm male. However, I should point out that until about 2 years ago, I had a picture of myself on my profile and listed both my gender and age. I removed all of those because of the number of PM's that I received that mocked me, belittled my opinions and / or knowledge, or were just plain creepy. These were explicitly tied to either my age or gender, sometimes both. I got sick of it, got rid of it, and I haven't received anything quite so offensive since. I would guess that most of my rep came from before I removed them, but I would assume / hope that is just because I don't post as much anymore.

Can we also stop bringing this back to 'her'? I made my jest in general terms in response to the root cause of all these new avatars, there's no need to revisit that ridiculous witch hunt.

Your nickname is not feminine.Your avatar is not feminine.You were/are gaining some up votes in banning/suspending people, that are inadequately increasing mods/admins reputation,but you have also plentiful "right" upvotes for knowledge that you have showed and shared with others who asked for it. Unlike her. I have not seen any single her post I would like to upvote.Upvoting your post, except in banned/suspended section, is just because of your knowledge (which should be appreciated), not sex.Some might not even know you're women. And that how should be in science community. Knowledge should rules over sexualism and sexism.Even though we have spring, and some might not control their hormones on the leash..Your upvotes (except banned/suspended section) seem to be well deserved.

I honestly don't understand what it is about me that offends some of you so. Do I not have a right to be feminine? Do I not have the right of being confident and comfortable enough to reveal myself? Do I need to self censor myself even when I'm not breaking any rules to hide who and what I am? I've not asked for upvotes or popularity; this is your choice to give me positive reputation. I've never claimed to be knowledgeable and I don't believe I lack humility or modesty. However, I can be confident and proud of who and what I am and have the freedom to exert this without the degradation. If you disagree with my posts, feel I am breaking the rules or you find me unhelpful and a poor contributor then by all means vote me down because I don't want or expect preferential treatment. If majority feel that I've somehow brought about unpleasantness, then I will gladly leave. However, if is not the case, you can expect me to stay and continue to be myself. This is who and what I am and if you find me offensive and unlikeable then you do your best to ignore me because you can't expect to like and get along with everyone in life and that can be transferred to online.

Oh I wouldn't worry I may have given you a couple of rep points however they were due to the quality of your posts

The funny aspect about rep points is that I've found they don't reflect the quality of a post.

More often than not I've received rep points by pointing out how foolish a poster is. Not necessarily in a polite format.

Quite frankly the rep system is a poor judgement of post quality

I've yet to see the rep system encourage quality of posts on any of the multiple forums I'm a member of.

Science oriented or otherwise.

Yes a series of poor quality or foolish posts can quickly gain bad rep points.

However truly good quality posts may or may not gain a rep point.

Quite frankly the whole gender/rep point gain aspect is foolish as well as well as reflecting sexual discrimination.

Not on any fault of the female participants.

Edited by Mordred

I honestly don't understand what it is about me that offends some of you so. Do I not have a right to be feminine? Do I not have the right of being confident and comfortable enough to reveal myself? Do I need to self censor myself even when I'm not breaking any rules to hide who and what I am? I've not asked for upvotes or popularity; this is your choice to give me positive reputation. I've never claimed to be knowledgeable and I don't believe I lack humility or modesty. However, I can be confident and proud of who and what I am and have the freedom to exert this without the degradation. If you disagree with my posts, feel I am breaking the rules or you find me unhelpful and a poor contributor then by all means vote me down because I don't want or expect preferential treatment. If majority feel that I've somehow brought about unpleasantness, then I will gladly leave. However, if is not the case, you can expect me to stay and continue to be myself. This is who and what I am and if you find me offensive and unlikeable then you do your best to ignore me because you can't expect to like and get along with everyone in life and that can be transferred to online.

If I am walking down the street and bump my head on a lamp post looking at the person across the road, is it their fault? You have nothing to explain. Everybody here with a brain knows that. C'est la vie.

Edited by StringJunky

Uh, OP was about something else entirely. I am not entirely sure whether it is a properly hijack, as it still kind of revolves around swansong.

Lol. That's what I get for posting while experiencing insomnia. Suspect it's obvious in context, but was referring to EE, not swansont.

More to the point, we're online. We're interacting through a text-based medium. Gender doesn't matter. Skin pigmentation doesn't matter. Sexual preference doesn't matter. Age doesn't matter. Eye color and hair color and the way we dress... None of it matters.

So...

Why does it still matter to so many? What is it about insecurity and neurosis that causes so many young and/or under-educated males to land so quickly on sexism and (whether explicit or not) misogyny?

[/HijackContinuation] #CarryOn #AllSwansontsAvatarsRock #ToneDownForWhat #NonsensicalHashtags

More to the point, we're online. We're interacting through a text-based medium. Gender doesn't matter. Skin pigmentation doesn't matter. Sexual preference doesn't matter. Age doesn't matter. Eye color and hair color and the way we dress... None of it matters.

I’m not sure about that given the number and type of avatar changes since Swansont’s latest offering. :o