How soon befor we can make a Terminator ?

studiot

I just caught part of a TV program called Spy in the Wild.

BBC1 1735 - 1835 today.

I will have to complete it on iplayer /catch up.

It shows the most amazingly realistic robotic artificial animals designd to fool real animal herds in the wild in order to video the.

These robots look like the real thing, orangutangs, crocs, egrets, penguins, sea otters etc and have sound vision and realistic action.

These are unprecedented scientific tools but watching them made me wonder the title question

How soon before we can make a Terminator ?

They are so nearly there.

Watch the programme if you get a chance.

Disney has some cool ones for use as stunt robots.

Besides battery life, main roadblock is that they tend to focus on one particular area rather than the more rounded sort of requirements a terminator might have. I think if we really wanted to we could do it within a few years.

9 hours ago, Strange said:

The bigger question is: when will we be able to send the Terminator back in time?

Well most times around Skynet doesn't invent it until later in the war. This last time was an outlier though and it came up with temporal displacement early on, so you never know.

Edit:

10 hours ago, studiot said:

BBC1 1735 - 1835 today.

It shows the most amazingly realistic robotic artificial animals designd to fool real animal herds in the wild in order to video the.

These robots look like the real thing, orangutangs, crocs, egrets, penguins, sea otters etc and have sound vision and realistic action.

Just wanted to add that this is a really good program and they have parts of it on PBS and youtube, if anyone is interested.

Edited by Endy0816

On 8/16/2020 at 9:55 PM, studiot said:

BBC1 1735 - 1835 today.

These are unprecedented scientific tools but watching them made me wonder the title question

Watch the programme if you get a chance.

pahahaha :) :) never mind such things. :) mmm, listening musics gives more pleasure than imaging such things 

peheh :) :) 

A recommendation: I suggest that you visit Antalya's The Land Of Legends or vialand in istanbul or any else a good theme park rather than imaging such things, I guarantee more pleasure.

Edited by ahmet

16 hours ago, ahmet said:

pahahaha :) :) never mind such things. :) mmm, listening musics gives more pleasure than imaging such things 

peheh :) :) 

A recommendation: I suggest that you visit Antalya's The Land Of Legends or vialand in istanbul or any else a good theme park rather than imaging such things, I guarantee more pleasure.

Glad you (briefly ?) enjoyed my thread.

The first time I visited Turkey (1970) I cycled across and then caught ferries back through to the Greek islands.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Very funny remarks above, but the question has not been answered.  How long until robotic and AI technology reach the level of a terminator robot, just like in the first Terminator movie?

My guess is it will take a long time, maybe 100 years?

Edited by Airbrush

33 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

Very funny remarks above, but the question has not been answered.  How long until robotic and AI technology reach the level of a terminator robot, just like in the first Terminator movie?

The question can't be answered, because a week is a long time in politics...

44 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

Mostly just a matter of power and onboard computing requirements this point.

Could slap an animatronic head on to a torso frame along with biomimetic limbs though. Give, realistically, multiple cloud-based programs ls control over that various bits and then just setup a control program to provide overall direction. A few different learning algorithms wouldn't be all that unrealistic either to add in.

University-of-Washington-3D-printed-biom

Edited by Endy0816

17 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

Mostly just a matter of power and onboard computing requirements this point.

Is it though?

That's like saying "fusion is just a matter of energy and pressure"...

Of course it can be done, but that doesn't mean we can do it.

7 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Yeah humans have other problems to deal with like climate change and pandemics before fooling around with a lark like this.

The terminator robot is very sophisticated.  It is indistinguishable from a real person.  And it is very tough, almost indestructible.

Maybe in a couple of hundred years, if we survive other problems.

12 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Is it though?

That's like saying "fusion is just a matter of energy and pressure"...

The brain might be in the cloud and T-6969 might need a power cable but would be as realistic as anything.

4 hours ago, Airbrush said:

Yeah humans have other problems to deal with like climate change and pandemics before fooling around with a lark like this.

The terminator robot is very sophisticated.  It is indistinguishable from a real person.  And it is very tough, almost indestructible.

Maybe in a couple of hundred years, if we survive other problems.

Always going to be something going on. Granted this year it sure does feel like everything is happening at once.

Think only something like stunt robots might need to be both human looking and especially durable. Even evil AI's would typically be better off optimizing one way or the other.

On 8/16/2020 at 8:55 PM, studiot said:

Hilariously, you are more excited about "how they move".. but you should be more interested "what they think".....

Making "move like animal" and/or "move like human" is THE EASIEST part of the job..

Edited by Sensei

Essentially, A.I. can be indistinguishable from from smartphone, smartwatch, a few millimeter wide chip, or so.. but if you (human) are thinking it must look like "Terminator" (anthropoidal cyborg) then things are worser than I thought so..

You can have smartphone smarter than you already, and have no idea about it, don't realize it, don't take into account.. Because it does not look like "typical A.I. from sci-fi movies" (which is anthropoidal cyborg and/or some supercomputer in a large sphere or a box taking the entire room or building space)..

2 hours ago, Sensei said:

Hilariously, you are more excited about "how they move".. but you should be more interested "what they think".....

Making "move like animal" and/or "move like human" is THE EASIEST part of the job..

You know this is in the 'lounge' right?

1 hour ago, Sensei said:

You can have smartphone smarter than you already

Let's not jump down that rabbit-hole.

1 hour ago, Sensei said:

Because it does not look like "typical A.I. from sci-fi movies" (which is anthropoidal cyborg and/or some supercomputer in a large sphere or a box taking the entire room or building space).

Kinda the point of the OP...

6 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

The brain might be in the cloud and T-6969 might need a power cable but would be as realistic as anything.

So long as it doesn't have to drive. 😛

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

So long as it doesn't have to drive.

Would that be because it's a hard drive ?

8 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

The brain might be in the cloud and T-6969 might need a power cable but would be as realistic as anything

That about describes the original T - Model, currently posing as President.