Jump to content
Cap'n Refsmmat

Sorry about the downtime -- we're back!

Recommended Posts

Unfortunately our domain name registration happened to expire on Wednesday, causing us to go down for about a day until the, uh, responsible party could be hunted down politely asked to renew the domain. We should be back now, though you may find it takes a few hours before different ISPs catch up and start letting you access the site. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies from myself also - we will try to put in place some measures to ensure this doesn't recur. None of your posts, threads, etc will have been lost in this process. Thanks for your patience and look forward to once more hosting your discussions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dave said:

we will try to put in place some measures to ensure this doesn't recur.

Something low-tech, like a calendar for blike's golf cart? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

56 minutes ago, Cap'n Refsmmat said:

responsible party could be hunted down politely asked to renew the domain.

I have some experience from similar situations. Nice to see you fixed the issues rather promptly!

Anyway, I didn't know how much I appreciate the site (and it's members) until scienceforums.net suddenly was offline.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

 

I have some experience from similar situations. Nice to see you fixed the issues rather promptly!

Anyway, I didn't know how much I appreciate the site (and it's members) until scienceforums.net suddenly was offline.

 

 

Same thought exactly.   I went to go write a post and was immediately confused and saddened by the apparent loss of the community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While looking for info about the disappearance I found that there is a twitter feed for the forum. But it hasn't had any updates for a few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cap'n Refsmmat said:

Unfortunately our domain name registration happened to expire on Wednesday,

I came to that conclusion about 2 pm today when poking around whois, looking for any info on the outage.

Suprisingly the registration end date is public domain.

The alleged server host (UK servers.com)  were rude and unhelpful when I phoned them to ask if they knew when you ywould be back up.

So all in all I am glad to see you back.

So let's party.

beerchug.gif.0055f395024abe65cca459fc83238758.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cap'n Refsmmat said:

Unfortunately our domain name registration happened to expire on Wednesday, causing us to go down for about a day until the, uh, responsible party could be hunted down politely asked to renew the domain. We should be back now, though you may find it takes a few hours before different ISPs catch up and start letting you access the site. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Fake news! It was a perfect renewal! Absolutely perfect.

3 hours ago, Phi for All said:

Something low-tech, like a calendar for blike's golf cart? 

In a world where even my fridge can give me reminders, I still managed to forget. Luckily Capn was able to social engineer his way through my answering service who sent a page out to me stating "CAPN REFSMMAT -  RE: WEBSITE". They even listed a hospital he was calling from 😂. I wasn't on call today so when I heard my answering service text me I about lost my mind until I saw who it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somebody joined another forum specifically to ask about what had happened here. Their best response was that some banned loser had hacked it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, nevim said:

... some banned loser had hacked it.

I try to avoid magical thinking, but a certain, um, speculators recent ranting threats had me wondering.

Edited by pzkpfw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was all really kinda worth it since it led to a few posts here from Dave, Blike, and Cap’n. It’s feels a bit like encountering some old friends who have been incommunicado... hiking, isolated in the woods, and living alone on a mountain surviving on squirrels and rain water for the last several years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pzkpfw said:

I try to avoid magical thinking, but a certain, um, speculators recent ranting threats had me wondering.

Me too. I was silently cursing that speculator!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, blike said:

Luckily Capn was able to social engineer his way through my answering service who sent a page out to me stating "CAPN REFSMMAT -  RE: WEBSITE". They even listed a hospital he was calling from 😂. I wasn't on call today so when I heard my answering service text me I about lost my mind until I saw who it was.

What?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iNow said:

It was all really kinda worth it since it led to a few posts here from Dave, Blike, and Cap’n. It’s feels a bit like encountering some old friends who have been incommunicado... hiking, isolated in the woods, and living alone on a mountain surviving on squirrels and rain water for the last several years. 

Big, bushy, twig-ridden beards, oversized overalls, and several good-looking teeth. It IS good to see them again!

1 hour ago, Raider5678 said:

What?

Cap'n pretended to call from a hospital to get an urgent message through to Dr B. That's a felony these two are obviously trying to cover up now.

6 hours ago, blike said:

 😂 I wasn't on call today

We should have put a calendar on your golf cart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pzkpfw said:

I try to avoid magical thinking, but a certain, um, speculators recent ranting threats had me wondering.

Same here (until I checked the domain name registry).

8 hours ago, nevim said:

Somebody joined another forum specifically to ask about what had happened here. Their best response was that some banned loser had hacked it.

I was going to suggest (if the problem hadn't been fixed) that we announce what was happening on some other forums. A lot of the regulars hang out elsewhere (traitors!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The good news is that the pound has jumped back up ten percent, since the site came back on stream. And the planet has cooled by one degree. Panic over, me lads ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mistermack said:

The good news is that the pound has jumped back up ten percent, since the site came back on stream.

That was only a secondary objective. We failed in our primary task though, since you still found us. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

That was only a secondary objective. We failed in our primary task though, since you still found us. :P

I just followed my nose.  😧

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Strange said:

I was going to suggest (if the problem hadn't been fixed) that we announce what was happening on some other forums. A lot of the regulars hang out elsewhere (traitors!)

Yes I noticed a few familiar names, hmm Strange 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mistermack said:

I just followed my nose.  😧

Oh, your posts are THAT bad...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nevim said:

Yes I noticed a few familiar names, hmm Strange 😁

Peculiar ;) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Phi for All said:

Oh, your posts are THAT bad...

No, it's your posts, that come straight out of your arse....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.