All negative Clicks must be made Public !

For "layman with new great revolutionary theory" typical route to get negatives is such:

- introduction of (not finished) theory, which is rather hypothesis (without math and any calculations which would agree with world)

- we are telling where are errors

- layman is ignoring what we just said, and is angry that we don't admire his work (after all he spend on it "few years" so they claim)..

- discussion about everything except theory.. Starting from lacks of knowledge of layman.

It more looks like "preaching" to get "followers", than discussion about science & how Universe works.

Better stuff is a matter of opinion and judge not that you will be judged.

Not in science. Opinions are meaningless in science.

Make your own lab experiment,

make photos, or record on video,

show calculations, that will predict result of experiment in future.

If you will show us that you're doing real science, people will appreciate it with positives.

If people are down voting because of rivalries or personal reasons and it has a larger affect than it should, that would be revealing a problem with the community, not the voting system.

One can argue until cows come home but that is not the intention.

I would like to do that so I can cook my hamburgers. I am really hungry over a pointless debate. :P

In all seriousness, if you have a problem with the forum and don't like it, move to a different one or start your own and implement your ideas. If it garners more attention(positive) than this one, we could rethink our logic. Until then, the sky is still blue.

I made this proposal once: to use the rep system as money, or as ammunition. IOW in the beginning you have in bank no money at all. Once you are given several + points, you get the right to spend the (more expensive) neg points. So that would be costly (to your own reputation) to give neg points to other. For example, you give one neg, you lose 5 +.

Better stuff is a matter of opinion and judge not that you will be judged.

Since reputation is largely based on opinion...

Also, I expect that everything I post here will be judged; on the whole, people seem to have judged it to be good.

It seems reasonable to think that people will carry on judging me in much the same way they have in the past; I will get the odd negative rep.

On the other hand, you might want to think about why I have something like +2000 rep points from about 11000 posts, while you have -22 from about 200.

I'm not saying that it's because I'm particularly friendly, clever or nice so...

Edited by John Cuthber

Making neg rep public just tends to lead to retaliation and retribution seeking. Forum software used to show who did it and mandate comments several years ago. It really led to little more than vandetta seeking behavior and rivalries.

The far simpler solution is clearly to look in the mirror and recognize your role in the reactions of others; to adjust your approach based on the social feedback you're being consistently given... Or, leave. You're not here by force, after all.

I made this proposal once: to use the rep system as money, or as ammunition. IOW in the beginning you have in bank no money at all. Once you are given several + points, you get the right to spend the (more expensive) neg points. So that would be costly (to your own reputation) to give neg points to other. For example, you give one neg, you lose 5 +.

Good proposal !

Edited by Commander

Creating a virtual economy out of the reputation system would completely detract from the intent of the system. IMO, it would only encourage abuse and amplify the feelings of unfairness shared by some of our newer members, since members who have been around longer and had more time to accumulate rep points would have an unfair advantage.

fiveworlds, swansont was hinting at the fact that your first post was a complete and utter lie. You have two pages worth of posts that you have repped in one direction or another since joining.

I think only Cowards give motivated negative Clicks on Posts without any rhyme or reason !

To avoid this bad trend those who give negative Clicks must be shown with the reason behind it.

Then it will be a fair game and at least one can make out who is a friend or an enemy !

For the same reason I have reset my friends list and will wait for anyone to add me as a friend as against my adding friends which I did earlier !

Also, I do remember those who had not accepted my invite earlier and those who had removed themselves from the list. I don't believe in forcing anyone.

Perhaps I might still have some courageous friends standing up for me !

post-108627-0-84920400-1426582105_thumb.jpg

One can argue until cows come home but that is not the intention.

I have a fair idea who are the members who might be enjoying giving me negative clicks but I don't want to guess and retaliate. That can not be the silly intention of this site.

Yes, I am bold to reply whether I did give a neg click or not but won't bother to do so because the moderators and admin know it all anyway.

I agree with my good friend EdEarl that getting a neg click is like getting a slap and unfortunately there are many who enjoy doing this anonymously. I am sure he and my other good friends like imatfaal, studiot and perhaps ajb too can never give me neg click being sensitive to my feelings.

I too never will give a neg click to anyone whom I consider a friend or who I know has given me more positive clicks than neg irrespective of the merit of the post [love your neighbor as you love thyself - and never think too high of yourself and get into judging].

To cut the long story short I just don't enjoy getting whimsical and motivated neg clicks and do not believe in casting my pearls nilly willy ! Moderators know who did what click and can inform the friendly members and experts too and a mafia can work against any member who will be crucified whether Copernicus or Jesus !

post-108627-0-94647900-1426583334_thumb.jpg

Self Assessment and therefore some boxes are left blank !

Also the Rating System reserves the Right to Rate / Reveal Rating or Keep up Secrecy even if asked to rate !

Suggestions for Improvements are welcome !

Edited by Commander

The far simpler solution is clearly to look in the mirror and recognize your role in the reactions of others; to adjust your approach based on the social feedback you're being consistently given... Or, leave. You're not here by force, after all.

Indeed. The underlying current here is people complaining they got downvoted and that they didn't deserve it, rather than trying to assess why their posts weren't well-recieved. Too often it's assigned to some dark conspiracy of the moderators or illuminati or the mean girls or whomever — it's never about the actual content. In truth, it's almost always about the content.

I think 99% of the time, if a post is clearly negged unjustly it will be reversed by other members and mods, so the ones that stick are, in general, appropriately given. If I really thought the trend was clique-y and conspiratorial between certain 'elite' members I'd have been gone from here within days of joining in 2009.

It never ceases to amaze me how much discussion can be had over fake internet points which have zero worth and meaning.

Because if it's used incorrectly people are made to "look" like their posts are worthless even if some of their posts are good, or say bad through lack of knowledge.

It's been known for reporting potential hazards In work places have turned into a "Vendetta" system with allegiances being formed amongst staff playing a tit for tat reporting game that leads to an unhappy enviroment in the work-place and because of this companies try to create No-Blame Cultures!

Edited by Ant Sinclair

Because if it's used incorrectly people are made to "look" like their posts are worthless even if some of their posts are good, or say bad through lack of knowledge.

However, in my opinion, few negative points are given for lack of knowledge. There is nothing 'improper' about being ignorant. The problem is, and where most negative points come from, is bad attitude and an unwillingness to engage in a meaningful exchange with other members. Posting 'word salad' and 'preaching' also can generate some negative points; the first maybe ignorance and can be tolerated to some extent, but the second is pure bad attitude. It is the repeated posting of 'word salad' that generates a lot of negative points.

Sticking to clear questions and established science (or close to it) should not generate any negative rep. Clearly answering any points put to you, will also help reduce negative rep; even if the reply is 'I have not thought about that yet'. Keeping civil and refraining from personal attacks will also minimise the negative rep. In short, be nice and think of the other members.

... this doesn't explain at all why someone cares. Apart from a wry smart ass comment here or there, I don't think I've cared about how many + or - points anything I have posted or anyone else has posted gets. If people didn't want to read what I've written, then they can ignore me or kick me off the forum. Other than that, I just don't care, because the points literally mean nothing.

Edited by Bignose

attachicon.gifWalker Rating - Post 17 Mar 15.jpg

attachicon.gifWalker Rating - Post 17 Mar 15 a.jpg

Self Assessment and therefore some boxes are left blank !

Also the Rating System reserves the Right to Rate / Reveal Rating or Keep up Secrecy even if asked to rate !

Suggestions for Improvements are welcome !

If Facebook can reveal Likes and Unlikes why not Science Forum ?

Also, the Help file says : Reputation [ if enabled ] etc but I have not enabled it at all and I wonder who enables or disables it !

Edited by Commander