Jump to content
Radical Edward

The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Recommended Posts

Hello, my name is Evgenia. It's my real one, the same as a photo at my avatar. 

My grandfather was an inventor with 14 officially registered patents and he was a head of laboratory in one of the famous tech university in USSR.

I was raised up at a very difficult period of time for my country. Since i was 15 am supporting myself. So i chose to work for money. But am very interested in science. Transhumanizm is my passion. 

I was working as an innovation manager for trade marketing equipment for almost 3 years. If you want to know how to manage to initiate 43 new projects, get only 2 of them successful and still survive, you are vey welcome to ask

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, my real name is not 'Itoero'.

The sister of my dog is called 'Itoera' ( a Mountain in Siberia)  and I changed it to 'Itoero' because it sounds more manly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't see a sub-forum for introductions, so I'm saying hello here! I'm mainly interested in astrophysics, but I love all areas of Science! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Blackflags said:

I didn't see a sub-forum for introductions, so I'm saying hello here! I'm mainly interested in astrophysics, but I love all areas of Science! :)

Welcome Blackflags! Glad to have you with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zapatos said:

Welcome Blackflags! Glad to have you with us.

Thank you Thank you. It's certainly thrilling to be here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Everyone,

My name is “J”. As a young kid I was never really interested in science until my later years of high school, thanks to my terrific physics and geology teachers who sparked my interest and my brother who is a geologist. 
 
Currently I’m serving in the US military and deal with the daily practical application of science quite a bit (Mostly ballistics, anatomy, and occasionally chemistry). In order to keep my mind occupied and sharp over my most recent deployment I decided to pursue the topics of astrophysics, cosmology, and space exploration through the limited books and podcasts I had access to. This has turned into an amateur passion, and brought me here to increase my knowledge in the topics. Anyhow, I’m super excited to learn from everyone here!
Edited by jab116

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you joined us jab116! We have some real experts in those areas and there are always interesting discussions going on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here recently I've had a string of debates on Facebook with trump supporters and flat earthers and I decided to take a break from the insanity and have some intelligent conversations. I'm new so the thing to do is introduce myself. Jobs done. :)

I watch a fair amount TV, but don't read like I use to. I work in IT as a consulting doing Exchange/O365 and Networking. I enjoy science and some of my favorite topics are batteries and alternate energy sources, but I find stuff like wasp venom and nano delivery systems that curing cancer fascinating as well. This include hydro and geothermal which don't seem to get the love they deserves IMO. I also enjoy gaming but I'm holding off on that right now. Still playing a card game called War of Omens, but work on my retirement plan of an 8 unit apartment complex took up all my free time for the last month or so and I stopped playing Black Desert Online. (that game is a huge time sink...) I've played World of Tanks/Warships. Love the Total War series. Played some league of legends but quit when I started playing BDO. (might be going back ARAM and no ranked in the near future) On a humorous note I named my two havanese Teemo and Galio. Was going to debate.org but it's just so buggy now, so I started going to debate island but they've set flat earthers as moderators for the earth science and they just delete my posts when I disagree with them. As I've finally recovered from the housing bubble bursting in 2006 I decided to hire some developers to create ForDebating.com for me(You can follow updates at https://www.facebook.com/fordebating), but the delays are worse than the contractor problems I'm having with my apartment complex. I've almost come to the conclusion no one does what they say they are going to do/their job anymore. It's frustrating, so I figured I'd try some different forums and see if that leads to a better quality of discussion.

So hit me up if any of that sounds interesting, and I look forward to getting to know ya. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everybody!

I prefer not to reveal my name (nothing personal, just a policy of mine) so I go by Cloud Variable, a nickname given to me by my friends for my understanding of quantum computing and other electronic tomfoolery. I have always been interested in the way things work, and I know a lot about philosophical physics, electroplasmaic engineering (building fusion reactors) and chemistry. I really like the site so far and am looking forward to answering questions and asking a few myself.

Sincerely

-Cloud Variable (RadioChemist)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone!

Having lurked around here I finally thought it was about time I introduced myself and (try to!) contribute to this community. I'm from the UK and have been a lifelong nerd however elected not to go to university, instead going into the workplace. Since then I've seen the error of my ways and have begun studying engineering through the Open University (can't recommend them enough if anyone else is thinking of going the same way), I chose engineering as of all the sciences physics is probably my favourite and I felt that with a young family to support any degree I get needs to be something which enables me to find employment in the future and engineering to me feels a lot like 'applied physics'.

I can't promise any answers to other people's questions yet, but I look forward to asking plenty of my own in the meantime!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello.  New to this forum.  Have worked doing groundwater analysis at a Superfund site, done community volunteer work in water -related concerns.  Now retired and have volunteered at beach clean-up projects.  Hope to find a site for discussion, without the invective found so often on social media.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good afternoon all. Just signed up here after having heard about it from a mate a few times and, seeing as my old haunt seems to be overrun with folks with the "latest reason why gravity doesn't exist" and other such nonsense, figured I'd join up!

I'm fairly basic all around - I enjoy a solid debate when the involved parties can stick to the facts rather than resorting to petty insults, fallacy, and other verbal japes. Currently work full time as a software tester, and work part time in retail; my wife and I are expecting our first early next year, so we're trying to get things as situated as possible. I don't particularly excel in any one area of science, and my formal education was a bit limited, but I love to learn about new things and enjoy trying to wrap my head around some of the deeper sciences where I can.

Oh, and don't judge me for my avatar (once I get it uploaded - apparently I'm not allowed to manage my own profile?) - tis a good show with fantastic music... and I totally blame my younger niece for getting my sucked in!

Anyway, I look forward to expanding my horizons here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Kittamaru said:

my wife and I are expecting our first early next year, so we're trying to get things as situated as possible.

Congratulations! Remember, you only need to situate the things you'll use until the baby can unstrap her/himself from the bouncy seat. Those months will be your basic training, and the challenges most likely won't outpace your experience. Once the child is mobile, however, they will knock over every thing you've situated and you'll need a completely new plan.

Think of us as a Retreat for Reason, and welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Phi for All said:

Congratulations! Remember, you only need to situate the things you'll use until the baby can unstrap her/himself from the bouncy seat. Those months will be your basic training, and the challenges most likely won't outpace your experience. Once the child is mobile, however, they will knock over every thing you've situated and you'll need a completely new plan.

Think of us as a Retreat for Reason, and welcome.

Haha, thanks mate! Yeah, we are excited but nervous for sure! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Kittamaru said:

Good afternoon all. Just signed up here after having heard about it from a mate a few times and, seeing as my old haunt seems to be overrun with folks with the "latest reason why gravity doesn't exist" and other such nonsense, figured I'd join up!

I'm fairly basic all around - I enjoy a solid debate when the involved parties can stick to the facts rather than resorting to petty insults, fallacy, and other verbal japes. Currently work full time as a software tester, and work part time in retail; my wife and I are expecting our first early next year, so we're trying to get things as situated as possible. I don't particularly excel in any one area of science, and my formal education was a bit limited, but I love to learn about new things and enjoy trying to wrap my head around some of the deeper sciences where I can.

Oh, and don't judge me for my avatar (once I get it uploaded - apparently I'm not allowed to manage my own profile?) - tis a good show with fantastic music... and I totally blame my younger niece for getting my sucked in!

Anyway, I look forward to expanding my horizons here!

And my welcome also! And congrats on the pregnancy...your Mrs actually. :)As an old bastard, I've been through it all and now have a grown up young man in IT, who looks after his aging dad and Mum, and is a joy to be still living at home!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I haven't taken any advanced courses in science or mathematics yet (though I definitely hope to in a few years!) but I am interested in the various fields relating to these subjects. I particularly enjoy astrophysics and computer science and hope to pursue a career in one of these areas in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I'm Jason and loving being half way through a degree in physics

Pleased to meet you all.:)

Edited by oakley1812
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! I guess you'd call me a scientifically interested laywoman, or a she-geek :D - I don't work in a scientific field but I enjoy reading about science and attempting to write science fiction. The writing part started when I saw "Star Wars" in '77 and it sparked a renewal of the wonder I felt as a girl watching Gemini and Apollo mission coverage on TV. So now I've hinted at my age. JFK was president when I was born. I wish I had taken more science classes in school but I was concentrating on writing and art and, to be honest, I am intimidated by the mathematical and technical parts of science - but as I read things and learn, occasionally something sticks, so there's hope. Nice to meet you all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lady Luminescent said:

Hi! I guess you'd call me a scientifically interested laywoman, or a she-geek :D - I don't work in a scientific field but I enjoy reading about science and attempting to write science fiction. The writing part started when I saw "Star Wars" in '77 and it sparked a renewal of the wonder I felt as a girl watching Gemini and Apollo mission coverage on TV. So now I've hinted at my age. JFK was president when I was born. I wish I had taken more science classes in school but I was concentrating on writing and art and, to be honest, I am intimidated by the mathematical and technical parts of science - but as I read things and learn, occasionally something sticks, so there's hope. Nice to meet you all.

There's a few of us silvery ones here so you won't be alone. I'm a bit too young for Gemini missions but remember Apollo. Welcome to the forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lady Luminescent said:

Hi! I guess you'd call me a scientifically interested laywoman, or a she-geek :D - I don't work in a scientific field but I enjoy reading about science and attempting to write science fiction. The writing part started when I saw "Star Wars" in '77 and it sparked a renewal of the wonder I felt as a girl watching Gemini and Apollo mission coverage on TV. So now I've hinted at my age. JFK was president when I was born. I wish I had taken more science classes in school but I was concentrating on writing and art and, to be honest, I am intimidated by the mathematical and technical parts of science - but as I read things and learn, occasionally something sticks, so there's hope. Nice to meet you all.

Welcome to the jungle! I am older than you! but it really doesn't matter here! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! 

I'm new. My name is Weronika. I'm from Poland. I'm really interested in biology studies, especially biochemistry and cell biology. I'm still a high school student (I'm 17 years old) but my dream is to work as scientist. I'm really happy that I've found this forum. I love science and I've been searching for place where I can be myself and where I can meet people that share the same interest. I'm sorry if my English isn't perfect. I'm still studying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Orzeszek said:

Hi! 

I'm new. My name is Weronika. I'm from Poland. I'm really interested in biology studies, especially biochemistry and cell biology. I'm still a high school student (I'm 17 years old) but my dream is to work as scientist. I'm really happy that I've found this forum. I love science and I've been searching for place where I can be myself and where I can meet people that share the same interest. I'm sorry if my English isn't perfect. I'm still studying.

Welcome Orzeszku :)

There are quite a few experts here who specialize in your areas of interest so you definitely came to the right place. Your English sounds very good btw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I'm an independent researcher of many things and currently I'm studying quite a lot about quantum field theory and wave mechanics.  I'm also a programmer with > 20 years of experience, and a pretty solid basis in applied mathematics and statistical analysis.  I'm mostly interested in this forum because I am looking for some opinion, guidance, and just some good conversation with like-minded people.  I would like to share some of my projects with the community and perhaps make something truly useful and amazing for research into things like the unified field, sub-atomic particles, and dynamical systems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I'm a college student currently taking up chemistry. I'm interested in organic synthesis and isolation of active compounds from plants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey science forum community, 

My name is Benjamin. I just recently started a YouTube channel link deleted; rule 2.7

 about Science education and hope to have some discussions with like-minded people. 

Work: PhD at NASA and TU Delft 
Hobbies: Fitness, Youtube

Looking forward to meet you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.