How do you resist delicious junk food ?

fresh

I stop eating potato chips for 3 years. I was used to eating it everyday. I know it is not good for health, so I gave it up.

Unfortunately, my dad falls in love with it recently. One day, he bought 3 bottles home with different flavors , and we shared it. It tastes so great !

Since then, he can not stop buying it.

I addict to it again... besides that, instant noodles tastes not bad too.

How do you resist those delicious junk food ?

Edited by fresh

Just to check is your food bought by your parents/parent most of the time; cos in most of the world junk food is not cheap, it just seems that way if you don't know how to prepare food.

And we can control ourselves - it is a matter of will-power. Some people have greater self-control than others - this is just human nature; we vary hugely even though we are so similar in many other ways. There are quite a few threads on here with journals of people stopping smoking, my cycling forum has literally hundreds of threads of people losing weight (it makes those hills so much easier), and you will find every day tales of human fortitude and will-power all over the internet.

I think the key is your perspective. You're looking at this as something good you're being denied, and that increases your desire. Humans treat that like being enslaved, and rebellion is the automatic response.

Instead, look at it as a bad thing that's severely shortening your life, and causing you multiple negative consequences in the short term, all for a fleeting feeling involving salt & fats, or nicotine & tar, or whatever else you think you're addicted to. Forget "I can't have Pringles/cigarettes/heroin anymore!" and use "I'm too smart to ingest/inhale/inject that junk, and such a great brain needs a healthy body to support it!"

I have been looking for some ways to detox my lungs , anybody know any ways to detox the smoke from the lungs .I have been eating a mixture of honey , garlic and lemon for the past three days .

Any other way to detox ?

Edited by bimbo36

I have been looking for some ways to detox my lungs , anybody know any ways to detox the smoke from the lungs .I have been eating a mixture of honey , garlic and lemon for the past three days .

Any other way to detox ?

Cardio exercise. Work those bellows with some deep breathing. Coughing helps. Your lungs have a self-cleaning mechanism. Great study here.

If you've quit smoking, congratulations! If you haven't, extra O2 might wake up enough brain cells so you realize how smart it would be to quit.

I stop eating potato chips for 3 years. I was used to eating it everyday. I know it is not good for health, so I gave it up.

Unfortunately, my dad falls in love with it recently. One day, he bought 3 bottles home with different flavors , and we shared it. It tastes so great !

I see 2 options:

1. Work out a lot and eat what you want and you will be fine.

2. Don't work out and mind what you eat and you will be fine (more or less)

In my opinion junk food is far away on a list of delicious things to eat.

Losing my lower jaw to a bone infection pretty much stopped my eating of most junk food. Not really recommended but I do understand the cravings, I used to eat lots of spicy chips...

Cardio exercise. Work those bellows with some deep breathing. Coughing helps. Your lungs have a self-cleaning mechanism. Great study here.

If you've quit smoking, congratulations! If you haven't, extra O2 might wake up enough brain cells so you realize how smart it would be to quit.

Thanks a lot for sharing that article .I thought i was semi done . i also thought there was no such thing as a self cleaning mechanism .

I guess smoking is the worst habit , All those food habits are easily reversible

i also thought there was no such thing as a self cleaning mechanism .

Every cell in your body can clean out certain things when it needs to. Iirc, they make a little folder of cytoplasm filled with questionable junk, and then let an organelle decide what gets kept and what gets pitched.

The way I quit smoking was to stop imagining it as a door I could lock and never go into again. If you want to quit, you have to rip the damn door out and brick up the hole. That door no longer exists. After that, smoking simply isn't an option. Don't think of it as something you shouldn't do, or even something you've given up. You simply don't smoke, ever, for any reason.

Not an option, and no real need to find a different choice. You are not a smoker. Happy end of story.

Personal discipline. Mind over mayonnaise. Making the bed before you get up. Running that daily 2 miles all at once. Gaining that 50 pounds over decades. Shaving before every morning. Showering more than once a month. Pretending you are the best USN SEAL, which you ain't. Not posting in some Science Forums. Taking what you do serious. Not ever taking yourself seriously. :)

Pretending you are the best USN SEAL, which you ain't. Not posting in some Science Forums.

I wouldn't listen to people who tell you to pretend to be something instead of doing something smart. Something doesn't sound right, trust me.

Anyone who seriously wants to change their diet can; although, it isn't easy, it is a simple process. Just quit eating "whatever" and substitute something else. For example, stop eating cheeseburgers and hamburgers, and eat home cooked food instead. You may stumble and eat another cheeseburger; don't make it a habit. Get back on home cooked food again. You reduce the frequency of eating cheeseburgers, and eventually, you will have gone five years without a cheeseburger. One day you will realize you don't crave cheeseburgers any more, and they may taste a little odd if you take a bite. Good luck, going through withdrawal is a bitch, even for a cheeseburger habit.

Try Chinese soup in the real restaurant (or better on vacations in China), and you won't call instant noodles delicious anymore...

Edited by Sensei

Every cell in your body can clean out certain things when it needs to. Iirc, they make a little folder of cytoplasm filled with questionable junk, and then let an organelle decide what gets kept and what gets pitched.

The way I quit smoking was to stop imagining it as a door I could lock and never go into again. If you want to quit, you have to rip the damn door out and brick up the hole. That door no longer exists. After that, smoking simply isn't an option. Don't think of it as something you shouldn't do, or even something you've given up. You simply don't smoke, ever, for any reason.

Not an option, and no real need to find a different choice. You are not a smoker. Happy end of story.

Thanks for all that information . I have plans to quit smoking on the month of July 2017 .Slowly working towards it . Need zinc oxide for my lips and my teeth has yellow plaque already .Somehow need to slowly remove it too ...lol

Actually uptake of stuff and intracellular trafficking is very complicated and the response to harmful substances is not terribly precise. I.e. it is probably not accurate to assume that if encountering really harmful substances the cells can easily get rid of it (or that it is even able to identify those as harmful). In fact, endosomal trafficking is a major route hijacked by many pathogens to eventually enter cells.

Most particulate removal happens on the tissue/organ level, meaning that you need a decent mucoid layer to effectively remove particulate and other harmful substances.

Edited by CharonY

There is no such thing.

No ,there is no such thing but there is perhaps a beneficial or harmful approach to eating (provided we do not have a medical condition that may mean we are swimming against the tide).

I think it is very multi-faceted but my first assumption is that ,counter-intuitively it is important to have a healthy appetite and to actually enjoy the food that we eat.

To my mind "junk food" may be a place name for food that we eat without putting any input into as much as what it actually is made of.

I know that many people have no time to cook for themselves but I feel in place of that there could be some kind of an involvement in addition to the simple actions of buying ,unwrapping and stuffing.

Maybe go to a nice cafe or restaurant where the staff is interested in the food and the act of eating has some social (even ritual) content.

There have been programs on the BBC recently where it has been shown that certain types of food are bad for the appetite in that lab animals do not experience satiety but carry on eating longer than otherwise. That was the mixture of sugar and fat as typified but what is apparently everyone's favourite , the donut. And of course cakes and biscuits fall into the same category.

Amazingly fat does not make you fat it seems (although the jury seems to be out as to how healthy or otherwise some kinds are) because it does produce satiety (when not consumed along with sugar).

Actually uptake of stuff and intracellular trafficking is very complicated and the response to harmful substances is not terribly precise. I.e. it is probably not accurate to assume that if encountering really harmful substances the cells can easily get rid of it (or that it is even able to identify those as harmful). In fact, endosomal trafficking is a major route hijacked by many pathogens to eventually enter cells.

Most particulate removal happens on the tissue/organ level, meaning that you need a decent mucoid layer to effectively remove particulate and other harmful substances.

This is englighting to me CharonY as I have virtually zero knowledge on these things. So to dumb it down, the removal of particulate matter is more efficient on organ level rather than on cellular level ? If so, how is it done in the case of tar in smokers lungs? Im a smoker myself and Im kinda getting ready to quit.

To my mind "junk food" may be a place name for food that we eat without putting any input into as much as what it actually is made of.

Yes, I guess it depends what one means by "junk" food. I am thinking of things like McDonalds and similar fast food outlets. I don't see how anyone could describe these as delicious. Inedible would be closer, to my mind. (I did take a bite from a McDonalds burger when they opened their first restaurant in London. I threw the rest away and have never been in one again!)

So, my definition of junk food is stuff that tastes disgusting but a lot of people eat anyway!