Jump to content

USA Rasicm


Der_Neugierige
 Share

Recommended Posts

Why did the Americans look down the Germans, although in US there was rasicm and discrimination of the black population?

why nobody talks about the crimes the Brits did during colonial era?

 

I am Swiss and we have paid back the money to the Jews. We have to learn in school what we did.

 

What about the potato genocide of the Irish people. Did the Brits have said sorry?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Der_Neugierige said:

Why did the Americans look down the Germans, although in US there was rasicm and discrimination of the black population?

why nobody talks about the crimes the Brits did during colonial era?

 

I am Swiss and we have paid back the money to the Jews. We have to learn in school what we did.

 

The world looked down on the Germans and the Japanese during WW2, just as they (the Germans and Japanese) looked down on the western Allies. Not sure if Americans still look down on Germans, but we certainly do not in Australia, and my trips to Japan have been incredibly revealing about essentially what I see as  a beautiful people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, beecee said:

The world looked down on the Germans and the Japanese during WW2, just as they (the Germans and Japanese) looked down on the western Allies. Not sure if Americans still look down on Germans, but we certainly do not in Australia, and my trips to Japan have been incredibly revealing about essentially what I see as  a beautiful people.

What I ment this hypocrisi. Blame the Germans at the same time they discriminated the black population?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Der_Neugierige said:

Why did the Americans look down the Germans,

They didn't. During the world wars, they feared and hated the Germans as an enemy - war propaganda had a hand in the hate part. Between the wars, they did business with Germans, to the extent past-WWI reparations permitted. When they learned the extent of the Holocaust (which they had been reluctant to believe), they were horrified, naturally enough. But it didn't stop them helping post-war Germany rebuild. There was never looking-down on German culture and scientific achievement - which is why so much American technological progress involved ex-nazi experts, as well as refugees and dissidents from before the war.

39 minutes ago, Der_Neugierige said:

although in US there was rasicm and discrimination of the black population

That had nothing to do with a war. Racism is a fact of world history.

41 minutes ago, Der_Neugierige said:

why nobody talks about the crimes the Brits did during colonial era?

They do. Many books have been written; many lectures delivered - it's not a secret.

42 minutes ago, Der_Neugierige said:

I am Swiss and we have paid back the money to the Jews.

After taking it away? How does that make your history any nicer?

43 minutes ago, Der_Neugierige said:

What about the potato genocide of the Irish people. Did the Brits have said sorry?

I have no idea. Canadian prime ministers have apologized to the First Nations. Reparations are and territorial adjustments are on-going.

15 minutes ago, Der_Neugierige said:

What I ment this hypocrisi.

Nothing new or unique about that, either. The more power a nations has wielded, the more wrongs it's done to more people. Little, poorly armed countries can remain neutral (and take material advantage of their neutrality) if their geographic location permits, or they can be victims, or they can be protectorates. If their population is monochromatic and monoethnic, it's easy to maintain racial harmony is easy to feel superior to ethnically diverse countries and their internal struggles.        

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

I have no idea. Canadian prime ministers have apologized to the First Nations. Reparations are and territorial adjustments are on-going.    

 

As has Australian Prime Minister 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Der_Neugierige said:

What I ment this hypocrisi. Blame the Germans at the same time they discriminated the black population?

So because we discriminated against blacks, we should have stood silent as Jews were murdered? Give me a break.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Der_Neugierige said:

Why did the Americans look down the Germans, although in US there was rasicm and discrimination of the black population?

why nobody talks about the crimes the Brits did during colonial era?

 

I am Swiss and we have paid back the money to the Jews. We have to learn in school what we did.

 

What about the potato genocide of the Irish people. Did the Brits have said sorry?

This is quite a bit of whataboutism. The German atrocities were on a scale that single-handedly crippled the eugenics movement in the US.

Switzerland basically gave (some) of the money back that they owed, but the banks were also heavily critized becaue they blocked tracing Holocaust Victim's money in Swiss banks after they perished. Likewise, the Swiss bank secrecy has obscured Nazi funds, which were stolen from Jewish people. Ultimately survivors won compensation sometime in the 90s, but it was not that Switzerland generously compensated survivors out of goodwill. Also, the deal was brokered with the support of US politicians.

I will say that also in German schools the Holocaust was typically taught rather well, though there are movements to cripple that (led by the right-wing AFD). Likewise, there are decent curricula in the US regarding their treatment of the black population.

Overall, I am not sure what OP is trying to ask, though. Should folks apologize more, or less, is Germany somehow a reference point, or Switzerland, or the US? Should we cross-compare atrocities? Is it about how different suppressed groups were treated across different times?

Perhaps it would be helpful to organize the thoughts a bit better and explain what OP tries to express.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Der_Neugierige said:

I am Swiss and we have paid back the money to the Jews. We have to learn in school what we did.

 

Yes, you stood up and did the right thing. Fifty years after you stole money from Jews. And only after being sued. Talk about being hypocritical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I wanna say Americans arent better at all. They also have dirt at their hands.

The same with the Brits. And they really did historically crimes. 

Dont point with your fingers at  few nations, while you arent better!

9 hours ago, zapatos said:

So because we discriminated against blacks, we should have stood silent as Jews were murdered? Give me a break.

No. But it annoys me how YOU believe you are morally better than other nations. 

Edited by Der_Neugierige
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Der_Neugierige said:

Why did the Americans look down the Germans, although in US there was rasicm and discrimination of the black population?

Can you give some more context to this?

 

12 hours ago, Der_Neugierige said:

why nobody talks about the crimes the Brits did during colonial era?

People do, so perhaps you just need to look a little harder.

1 hour ago, Der_Neugierige said:

What I wanna say Americans arent better at all. They also have dirt at their hands.

The same with the Brits. And they really did historically crimes. 

Dont point with your fingers at  few nations, while you arent better!

!

Moderator Note

You started this thread. Nobody was pointing fingers.

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Der_Neugierige said:

No. But it annoys me how YOU believe you are morally better than other nations. 

It annoys me how YOU believe we all think the same. Like you're disparaging us as a group.

Perhaps the subjective and ambiguous perspective of "morally better" has been misapplied here? Perhaps you paint with too wide a brush when it comes to your flavor of tribalism? Perhaps all people who engage in nationalism see their own country as better than others?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No hate. This just came in my mind yesterday.

16 hours ago, zapatos said:

Yes, you stood up and did the right thing. Fifty years after you stole money from Jews. And only after being sued. Talk about being hypocritical.

Did you see, I upvoted your comment.

Edited by Der_Neugierige
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Der_Neugierige said:

What I wanna say Americans arent better at all. They also have dirt at their hands.

The same with the Brits. And they really did historically crimes. 

Dont point with your fingers at  few nations, while you arent better!

Perhaps you can set an example for us and quit pointing your fingers at the few nations you are singling out. The irony here is killing me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, studiot said:

I'm sorry, where is the SCIENCE in all this ?

Forgive me, but I thought the rules here state that the politics subforum is for the discussion of scientific aspects of politics.

It's a LONG time ago since that bird flew away.  :) Not all subjects are amenable to pure scientific discussion.

Edited by StringJunky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, studiot said:

I'm sorry, where is the SCIENCE in all this ?

Forgive me, but I thought the rules here state that the politics subforum is for the discussion of scientific aspects of politics.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was conspicuously posted for me to read, but I honestly was not aware of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

It wouldn't surprise me if that was conspicuously posted for me to read, but I honestly was not aware of that.

Why you in particular? The only scientific part really is statistics, which are presented as required, generally.

Edited by StringJunky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Why you in particular? The only scientific part really is statistics, which are presented as required, generally.

Good, I can reply to both of you at once.

 

In 1968, my hall warden at uni was head of 'Political Science'  - whatever that was it was far more than statistics - but not really my subject, though I had my opinions like most callow youths of any generation.

But surely here the subject should be more than just venting opinions ?

 

And no I was not pointing the finger at anyone in particular.

Edited by studiot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Why you in particular? The only scientific part really is statistics, which are presented as required, generally.

My bad on the wording. Not posted for me in particular...it just wouldn't surprise me if it was right there, for everyone, but I continuously missed it.

Edit: Also didn't mean posted by Studiot...I meant posted in a totally different context.

Edit again:

Right in the name of the subforum!

Politics

What's going on in the world and how it relates to science.

Edited by J.C.MacSwell
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Politics is what I would call a 'grey' subject, bringing in a multitude of approaches... as is human sociology, which is what politics is part of.

About the greyness, I would agree with you, but what makes you think Science does not offer a multitude of approaches ?

For example in considering a structure you can use Force-Displacement, Slope-Deflection, Virtual Work, Energy theorems, Graphical methods, finite elements, and quite a few more besides.

But surely the issue here is that Politics at SF is whatever the powers that be deem it to be ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've  long regarded racial prejudice as a natural inherited characteristic embedded in the human genome. (not that natural equates to good). You have to understand that our ancestors evolved from terratorial apes. They probably lived in bands or troops who claimed and held a territory, which they relied on for their survival. They would have been aware of their immediate neighbours, and would have had to defend their territory and members of the clan against aggression from those next door. This is roughly how chimps live now, where they are numerous enough to actually have neighbours and rival clans. 

I remember reading somewhere that one of the Islands of the East Indies, I think Borneo, had as many as nine hundred separate languages, each extended clan having their own language. And clans were always at war with each other. The basic instinct is distrust and dislike of our neighbours, especially if they look and sound different. 

It seems to be a numbers thing. Small numbers of incomers don't cause alarm, but when they increase in numbers, the aliens tend to get the blame for everything that goes wrong. 

These days we seem to be favouring intellect over instinct, but history shows that when things go wrong, the baser instinct takes over. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, studiot said:

About the greyness, I would agree with you, but what makes you think Science does not offer a multitude of approaches ?

For example in considering a structure you can use Force-Displacement, Slope-Deflection, Virtual Work, Energy theorems, Graphical methods, finite elements, and quite a few more besides.

But surely the issue here is that Politics at SF is whatever the powers that be deem it to be ?

Yes, ultimately, it's up to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.