Sign in to follow this  
Farid

My Opinion on Magic Tricks

Hello Everybody,

I just wanted to express my opinion on magic tricks. I have seen many magic tricks on YouTube and other media platforms. And, most of them are extremely hard to explain. My opinion on it is that some of them are just illusions, and some of them are real. What do I mean by "real?" By that, I mean that if a magicians disappearing trick is real, it means that the magician has actually disappeared. 

!

Moderator Note

This is more suitable for the Lounge. Note that the idea of a good illusion is of course to make it difficult for the viewer to figure out how it is done. It would be quite a jump to suddenly conclude that magic is real (unless you believe that there a lot of uncles with detachable thumbs).

2 hours ago, Farid said:

Hello Everybody,

I just wanted to express my opinion on magic tricks. I have seen many magic tricks on YouTube and other media platforms. And, most of them are extremely hard to explain. My opinion on it is that some of them are just illusions, and some of them are real. What do I mean by "real?" By that, I mean that if a magicians disappearing trick is real, it means that the magician has actually disappeared. 

It seems infinitely more likely that you just haven’t worked out how the trick is done. 

This should not be surprising: even professional magicians are not always able to work out how a trick was done. For example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_%26_Teller:_Fool_Us - even when they are fooled, they have never said “well, I guess you must have really made it disappear”

7 hours ago, Farid said:

By that, I mean that if a magicians disappearing trick is real, it means that the magician has actually disappeared. 

Think of the money he could make if he sold that magic trick to criminals.  Get caught, plead guilty, go to jail and disappear.

7 hours ago, Farid said:

some of them are real.

No.

None of them is real, at least not by this definition

7 hours ago, Farid said:

if a magicians disappearing trick is real, it means that the magician has actually disappeared.