Trurl

Anyone read "Darwin's Black Box" ?

I checked at reviews for this book. A science explanation for intelligent design. No religion. But I thought it would be a good read for the scientist looking at science for answers.

Darwin's books are now public license. I don't care to study them but I have read excerpts that I consider bad science. I think that is what the author of the book while argue that the is much more that needs to be explained. The reviews also mention how DNA and evolution relate.

4 hours ago, Trurl said:

I checked at reviews for this book. A science explanation for intelligent design. No religion. But I thought it would be a good read for the scientist looking at science for answers.

Darwin's books are now public license. I don't care to study them but I have read excerpts that I consider bad science. I think that is what the author of the book while argue that the is much more that needs to be explained. The reviews also mention how DNA and evolution relate.

Intelligent Design is a brilliant marketing concept developed as a back door method of getting creationism into school science curricula in the USA. This was clearly and publicly demonstrated in the Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District case over a decade ago. Michael Behe's book is part of that attempt to bamboozle the public. A far better read for "the scientist looking at science for answers" in this field would be something like Kenneth Brown's "Only a Theory" which systematically dismantles the nonsense of Intelligent Design.

Darwin formulated his ideas over a century and a half ago - there are bound to be errors and ovesights in his work. Breaking news, in the century and a half since he published his works tens of thousands of scientists have conducted research that has developed his remarkable insight into arguably the most solidly established theory in science. That said, I would be interested to know which particular ideas of his you consider to be "bad science". Perhaps I could then either agree with you that those ideas are outmoded, or show how you have misinterpreted their intent from the few excerpts you have read. (Warning: creationists routinely quote Darwin out of context in order to suggest he claimed something that supports their argument. When such excerpts are read in context their assertions are contradicted.)

Note to moderators - I'm not sure if we are even meant to give breathing space to pseudoscientific nonsense by taking the time to denounce it. Please remove this post if it is counter to forum policies.

9 hours ago, Trurl said:

A science explanation for intelligent design.

There is no such thing.

9 hours ago, Trurl said:

But I thought it would be a good read for the scientist looking at science for answers.

Not likely. There could be some examples to use in school lessons on logical fallacies, critical thinking, etc.

9 hours ago, Trurl said:

Darwin's books are now public license. I don't care to study them but I have read excerpts that I consider bad science.

So you can't be bothered to read it but you think it is wrong. Arrogance or naivety, I'm not sure.

How about you give us some examples of this "bad science" and maybe we can tell you whether it is something you have failed to understand or, perhaps, something that Darwin got wrong but we know have a better understanding of.

9 hours ago, Trurl said:

I think that is what the author of the book while argue that the is much more that needs to be explained.

And, of course, a lot more has been explained since Wallace and Darwin's work. But there is a lot more to understand. That doesn't make Creationism any more credible.

9 hours ago, Trurl said:

!

Moderator Note

So why is this posted in religion?

9 hours ago, Trurl said:

!

Moderator Note

What is it you wish to discuss, the book and ID, or Darwin and evolution?

Moderator Note

So why is this posted in religion?

The book does not contain religion. I post here to see if anyone has or wants to read the book. Something of the sort "I'm a scientist but scientific evidence points to a creator as much as it doesn't." "God doesn't play dice"

I want to see if anyone is familiar with the book and follow scientific evidence that supports a creator may exist.

I haven't read the book, but it might be an intersting read.

The only science that may support a (non divine) creator, or some degree of intelligent design, is digital physics.

Creationism and intelligent design is frowned upon by most scientists, but that is because they suggest evidence of a god.
With digital physics, God is removed from the equation.

26 minutes ago, Trurl said:

The book does not contain religion. I post here to see if anyone has or wants to read the book. Something of the sort "I'm a scientist but scientific evidence points to a creator as much as it doesn't." "God doesn't play dice"

I want to see if anyone is familiar with the book and follow scientific evidence that supports a creator may exist.

No scientific evidence points to any creator. That claim is totally unscientific and ignorant to make. We do though have plenty of evidence to show that spacetime/universe evolved from t+10-43 seconds up to the present time, plus the fact that the only scientific answer to life is Abiogenesis, either Earth based or via Panspermia.