Good guy with a gun...

Moontanman

not to mention your title is sexists, because you assume only male is terrorist-to-be (or mass-killer-to-be), while female is not

It's a very well recognized term used in the populace. You must not read as much news on this topic as others do if you're unaware of that.

Feel free to attack the phrase as being sexist, but Moontanman is a misguided target if you choose to do so.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/12/21/nra-only-way-to-stop-a-bad-guy-with-a-gun-is-with-a-good-guy-with-a-gun/

https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=Good%20guy%20with%20a%20gun

You must not read as much news on this topic as others do if you're unaware of that.

I am reading in the first place local (my country) newspapers.

In my country, I don't even remember when the last time I heard that somebody shoot somebody (couple years ago by russian guy)..

Personally I do not know any single person with a gun. Or license to have a gun.

ps. It's sort of we're in parallel universes..

If I see police officer, he/she is saying to me "good morning, sir"..

In your's they shoot first, and then ask for ID..

The last time (~week ago), police officer were saying something to me that sounded like "excuse me, sir, please cross this street to second side. Thank you".

Edited by Sensei

In my country, I don't even remember when the last time I heard that somebody shoot somebody (couple years ago by russian guy)..

Personally I do not know any single person with a gun. Or license to have a gun.

The last time (~week ago), police officer were saying something to me that sounded like "excuse me, sir, please cross this street to second side. Thank you".

What country are we talking about as yours? In mine all my interactions with the police are very similar and I don't know anyone who doesn't own a gun...

and I don't know anyone who doesn't own a gun...

With them? All the time? On the street? Restaurant? Discotheque.. ?

In the large discotheques there are metal detectors in the front door to disallow carrying anything dangerous inside..

I know a number of people who regularly carry guns, meaning every time they leave the house. When I was working on obtaining my concealed carry license I had a number of discussions with people regarding when they might use their guns. The general consensus seemed to be that no one would use it to protect property or to keep from being robbed. No one seemed inclined to intervene in a situation as you cannot necessarily tell who is the good/bad guy. One guy summed it up by saying that the only time he'd be likely to pull it out would be if the bad guys were herding the good guys into a back room. He stated that he would not go into the back room without a fight.

I'm not advocating carrying guns, but many people here seem to be very concerned about anyone who happens to be carrying a gun. Gun owners who are thoughtful and well prepared for the the responsibility that comes with gun ownership do not bother me in the least. Unfortunately, I believe these types of gun owners are in the minority.

With them? All the time? On the street? Restaurant? Discotheque.. ?

In the large discotheques there are metal detectors in the front door to disallow carrying anything dangerous inside..

Actually in my state it is now legal to carry a gun into a bar.. what could possibly go wrong? Most of them have long guns in the house, most of these are shotguns... A few do indeed carry hand guns all the time...

You mostly see the most shocking tales the media can find. Typically you can have a nice normal interaction and call it day.

Now add darkness, stress, confusion and firearms to the mix and things can go bad in a hurry. Race can and frequently does play a role as well. Not necessarily a matter of different races, stereotyping tends to rule the day in reality.

What country are we talking about as yours? In mine all my interactions with the police are very similar and I don't know anyone who doesn't own a gun...

I believe he's in Japan.

You know me. I'm wearing a shirt with a couple of AR-15's, the flag and the Constitution on it; doesn't mean I feel like sleeping with a viper though. Dear lord, start typing 'accidental shooting of' or 'man accidentally' see what Google spits out as suggestions.

Edited by Endy0816

I know a number of people who regularly carry guns, meaning every time they leave the house. When I was working on obtaining my concealed carry license I had a number of discussions with people regarding when they might use their guns. The general consensus seemed to be that no one would use it to protect property or to keep from being robbed. No one seemed inclined to intervene in a situation as you cannot necessarily tell who is the good/bad guy. One guy summed it up by saying that the only time he'd be likely to pull it out would be if the bad guys were herding the good guys into a back room. He stated that he would not go into the back room without a fight.

I'm not advocating carrying guns, but many people here seem to be very concerned about anyone who happens to be carrying a gun. Gun owners who are thoughtful and well prepared for the the responsibility that comes with gun ownership do not bother me in the least. Unfortunately, I believe these types of gun owners are in the minority.

One issue to add is that a single mistake is all that it takes to have a tragedy, i.e. even responsible gun owners must be vigilant all the time. This is of course also true for driving cars, yet driving serves a more common purpose (you have to get somewhere all the time) compared to guns, which you hopefully don't need to use frequently...

I believe he's in Japan.

Umm, isn't that country where the crime occurred that inspired this thread? Ummm I apologize, I was thinking of another thread, again my apologies...

A 'real' "good guy with a gun" would have the wisdom to give it up and be LOUD about it.

I gave up my hand guns, just a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion, even cops off duty and on sometimes accidentally discharge their weapons... I love that term, "accidentally discharge their weapon" the damn thing went off, they shot their gun! We had a police officer in an apartment complex where I used to live many many many moons ago, before I was married, who "accidentally discharged his weapon", and killed a woman in the apartment above him. He was fired if memory serves me but wasn't charged but the woman remained dead...

Edited by Moontanman

• 2 weeks later...

There was no telling what the "robbers" had in mind, so it is not unreasonable for the old man to shoot at them. Maybe he prevented a massacre, or maybe only prevented robbery, but that was unknown at the time. Shooting was justified, good going old man! However he appears to have overdone it but he was either a bad shot or trying to miss them, so he felt it was necessary to keep shooting AROUND them just to scare them off.

Edited by Airbrush

There was no telling what the "robbers" had in mind, so it is not unreasonable for the old man to shoot at them. Maybe he prevented a massacre, or maybe only prevented robbery, but that was unknown at the time. Shooting was justified, good going old man! However he appears to have overdone it but he was either a bad shot, or trying to miss them, so he felt it was necessary to keep shooting around them.

Or maybe he was just a little too old, or uninformed.

I can see that helping a lot.

A shot gun is the most versatile of home protection guns. It can be used to hunt small game, even large game if you are a good hunter. It can be used for protection, intimidation, and killing zombies...

A shot gun is the most versatile of home protection guns. It can be used to hunt small game, even large game if you are a good hunter. It can be used for protection, intimidation, and killing zombies...

How is it versatile; all it does is kill or threaten to kill?

Edited by dimreepr

How is it versatile; all it does is kill or threaten to kill?

It is easier to aim than a pistol or a rifle and I can hunt food with it. A pistol or a rifle isn't really good for hunting small game, a pistol isn't good for hunting at all.

And people wonder why we have a gun problem!

It seems to me as if the people who are so baffled by why anyone would have a gun, are hung up with the statistics that tell us that over all, guns are a negative in a society. The statistics though are not telling us that guns are negative in all instances. Some gun owners are afraid of their own weapons and never fire them, while others train with them and treat them with due respect. In some cases, not having a weapon would be foolish.

Similarly, Botox and radiation are a negative in society over all, but in some instances are considered positive. In these cases though it doesn't seem that difficult to understand why people would purposely seek them out.

It seems to me as if the people who are so baffled by why anyone would have a gun, are hung up with the statistics that tell us that over all, guns are a negative in a society...

I think the initial reaction is more visceral than that. I remember as a kid going to the continent and seeing cops with guns. I felt scared. I still feel uneasy whenever i see cops with guns, either abroad or increasingly in London.

Then we check the stats and yep, just as we thought violence follows in their wake: no surprise, they are designed to kill. I can imagine certain professions are locations require guns due to the stresses of nature, but not for the average joe.

And now they are also a symbol of how our society is held in fear by Islamic terrorism - that our cops, once bobbies on the beat you could stop to chat to, are now armed to the teeth and suspicious of anyone approaching them.

Then we look across the pond and see a society in love with that symbol of fear and terror. I can't emphasise enough just how crazy some gun advocates come across. It is scary how much they love guns.

Edited by Prometheus

I think the initial reaction is more visceral than that. I remember as a kid going to the continent and seeing cops with guns. I felt scared. I still feel uneasy whenever i see cops with guns, either abroad or increasingly in London.

Then we check the stats and yep, just as we thought violence follows in their wake: no surprise, they are designed to kill. I can imagine certain professions are locations require guns due to the stresses of nature, but not for the average joe.

And now they are also a symbol of how our society is held in fear by Islamic terrorism - that our cops, once bobbies on the beat you could stop to chat to, are now armed to the teeth and suspicious of anyone approaching them.

Then we look across the pond and see a society in love with that symbol of fear and terror. I can't emphasise enough just how crazy some gun advocates come across. It is scary how much they love guns.

Good point. As you show it is even worse than I stated. People have a hard time keeping their emotions out of this issue and looking at it only intellectually. I imagine it is especially difficult for those who aren't regularly exposed to guns. For those of us who have been around guns all our lives, your reaction will probably seem totally out of proportion to the risk.

Speaking for myself I have a visceral response to the sight of snakes. I'm sure that people who are regularly exposed to snakes find my response rather silly, and know when to be afraid and when not to.

Speaking for myself I have a visceral response to the sight of snakes. I'm sure that people who are regularly exposed to snakes find my response rather silly, and know when to be afraid and when not to.

For sure. My dad was raised in India. He tells us stories about catching pythons as a kid to milk them for venom. We think he's a bit crazy.

When you think they are safe, they end up killing :/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/08/10/woman-fatally-shot-in-accident-during-fla-citizen-police-academy-lethal-force-simulation/

Just before he laid the rattlesnake down, the rattlesnake turned and bit him in the chest. The little boy cried out and threw the snake upon the ground. "Mr. Snake, why did you do that? Now I will surely die!"

The rattlesnake looked up at him and grinned, "You knew what I was when you picked me up."

http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/TheLittleBoyAndTheRattlesnake-Cherokee.html

Personally though I find the ending of, The Tiger, the Brahmin and the Jackal to be more hopeful.

"After the tiger demonstrates what happened by jumping back into cage, the Jackal shuts him in. The Jackal then turns to the Brahmin and says, 'Might I humbly suggest, this time, we leave the Tiger in the cage?'"

For sure. My dad was raised in India. He tells us stories about catching pythons as a kid to milk them for venom. We think he's a bit crazy.

Sane man. I too go after constrictors when I'm looking to milk venom.