The 'new' Swansont

MigL

I think it's groovy, baby! He's been trying to change it for years, but then we get someone who can't argue rationally, so they make a comment about Bond threatening them with a gun, so of course swansont can't change it then.

Now they'll probably complain that Powers is threatening them with his teeth....

Either avatar, swansont has the physics mojo, baby. Shall we interact now, or interact later?

I may be evil, but I'm certainly not bald !

Spoken like a supervillain with his priorities straight. Lost his hair in a tragic frikkin' laser shark accident.

That resumes to an old question of mine: why the avatar is not just you?

Why must it be someone else?

There is no mandate; no must. It sometimes just is someone else. It's sometimes just fun, or just because we feel an alternative represents us better and gives more information into our personality. It helps kids who are used to being picked on for how they look to truly act as themselves and be treated as equals regardless of gender, ethnicity, age, or beauty. It is a personal decision for each individual poster.

I've never understood, why does it bother you so much?

I used to have a picture of myself on my profile when they didn't have to be the same picture as your avatar. I removed it because the complaints, weird PM's and insulting comments about my intelligence as a result of my age or gender were getting tiresome. That, and Woodward looks so much more debonair then I could ever hope to be.

Never mind

----------------

No, not "never mind", I changed (my mind).

I changed my mind again.

Never Mind

I think you're trying to make this internet interaction into what you feel is a better face-to-face interaction. You should accept that this is different. I like it because I can remove more layers of bias, and not judge people for what they look like.

I discussed lots of subjects, for years, with a guy who was really smart but was a real loose cannon when it came to self-editing. He improved rapidly in his style and became a high-quality member (although some of the earliest Mods talked about booting him several times). One day in a PM, he confessed that he was only 13 years old when he joined.

I'd like to think it wouldn't have mattered early on if this guy had used a photo of himself, and I'd known at the time that he was in middle school. But I know it would have influenced the way I treated him somehow, and I can't see that that kind of influence being of any ultimate value.

I work for that guy now. Any judgments I would have placed on him due to his photo avatar would have been wrong wrong wrong.

Not everyone is comfortable putting their picture out there for everyone to see (it's not their bag, baby), and the decision to do so should only reside with that person. (The internet, collectively, can be a bit of a dick.)

Not everyone is comfortable putting their picture out there for everyone to see (it's not their bag, baby), and the decision to do so should only reside with that person. (The internet, collectively, can be a bit of a dick.)

Right.

But you are renowned. Your complete name is on your blog and your picture easily spotted. It looks like hiding behind your finger.