War Games: Russia Takes Ukraine, China Takes Taiwan. US Response?

iNow

29 minutes ago, Sensei said:

I would never get an iPhone and use it as my primary device. It's just plain stupid.

well...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBI–Apple_encryption_dispute

Are soldiers allowed to take their phones into battle with them?

It seems a but foolish to me

Damned hard to maintain radio silence when your phone is permanently polling for a signal.

11 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Are soldiers allowed to take their phones into battle with them?

In conversations with their mothers, the captives complained that officers took away their cell phones just before they entered Ukraine.

However, this does not prevent them from robbing Ukrainian civilians.

11 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

It seems a but foolish to me

Damned hard to maintain radio silence when your phone is permanently polling for a signal.

This is how Russian generals were identified and killed.... So far they have lost 4 generals and 1 Chechen general.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60767664

They have lost secure connectivity and have to use the usual cell phone infrastructure to give orders.

10 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

The Pegasus exploit has been known since 2021. This article is from 2015-2016.

Edited by Sensei

19 hours ago, Sensei said:

The Pegasus exploit has been known since 2021.

And according to wiki 

"Pegasus is able to exploit iOS versions up to 14.6,"

so my iPhone, running iOS 15. something is immune.
Most people set their phones to update automatically, so most phones won't be vulnerable.

2 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

so my iPhone, running iOS 15. something is immune.

You are so funny guy.. :)

you must be popular in your pub..

2 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Most people set their phones to update automatically, so most phones won't be vulnerable.

The cell phone updates when the device is connected via WiFi, and then the device assumes it is an Ethernet connection, so it can download as much data as it wants... annoying..

Don't connect your cell phone to WiFi -> you won't get any updates..

Connect your cell to a "free hotspot" and you can get updates you don't want...

"Free hotspots" are honeypots for complete idiots (update from unreliable/unknown source)

Do you trust updates from your own home Wifi networks.. ? ;)

Seriously.. ? ;)

Edited by Sensei

36 minutes ago, iNow said:

Didn’t realize I was on an IT forum dedicated to discussions about iOS updates 

The everything is IT, if you don't realize (typical for A.I.)...

Elon wants to fight one-to-one with V.P.:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/elon-musk-elona-twitter-putin-chechen-b2036841.html

and Russian's government reply was:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2022/03/14/musk-challenges-putin-to-single-combat-over-ukraine-russian-official-calls-him-a-little-devil/

"You, little devil, are still young, You are weak to compete with me; it would only be a waste of time. Overtake my brother first," added Mr Rogozin.

...and then God comes into them...

Is it not IT... ? ;)

For me it is IT.. ;)

Edited by Sensei

Sensei, get a life 🙂 .

Don't do your banking, or other sensitive activities on your phone, or computer.
Go down to your local bank and greet the lovely tellers working there.

More importantly, don't invade another country using cell phones as communication/command.

Every time missiles are sent to Kiev, Mariupol, Odessa, etc., one missile should be sent to Moscow, St.Parkersburg etc... God approves this message... temporarily... (temporary adherence to the Old Testament until the mass murderer Antichrist Putin dies)....

Edited by Sensei

I'm not sure "they are committing war crimes so we should, too" is a good strategy. I think you lose support for your cause if there is credible evidence that you're doing that. I think you might stop getting military aid.

Do they even have that kind of weaponry (missiles that can travel hundreds of km)? I would be a little surprised if other countries were selling/sending them what would clearly be offensive weaponry.

Russia also has escalation superiority over Ukraine in that circumstance. Ukraine shelling Russian cities would be seen as an escalation, and in response Russia could retaliate far more forcefully / devastatingly. 

From humanitarian point-of-view, I absolutely agree with you @swansont but.. but... any 15-17 years+ old guy who played thousands of hours of RTS (Real-Time Strategy) would tell you what should be done, and why.. such 15 years old ("newbie") has more experience than 70+ years old "true general", "in true world", especially from USSR... simply, teenager, won more battles, lost more battles, and gained more experience, than true, real general.. Simulated wars, but it does not matter.. (an astronaut also has thousands of hours of simulated flights in cosmos, and only a few real ones).

The Russians have no clue what is going on! You (and I) are reading about the war! Every... day... They don't! They are fed bullshit from their newspapers to the point that if a family member calls them and tells them what is going on in the world, they will say "they are lying" (i.e. family members, not the media)..

Edited by Sensei

2 hours ago, swansont said:

I would be a little surprised if other countries were selling/sending them what would clearly be offensive weaponry.

One of the reasons the US rejected the Polish MiGs for Ukraine was that the US feared sending weapons capable of striking Russian soil would be an unacceptable escalation for Russia. The jets could be in Moscow in under an hour.

9 minutes ago, Sensei said:

Russian's people have no bloody idea what is going on! You (and I) read about war!

While tactically a waste of effort, the Dolittle Raid in WWII was an eye opener for the Japanese people and a huge morale boost for the Americans.

1 hour ago, Sensei said:

From humanitarian point-of-view, I absolutely agree with you @swansont but.. but... any 15-17 years+ old guy who played thousands of hours of RTS (Real-Time Strategy) would tell you what should be done, and why.

Please let's not pretend that a RTS game has any valid relevance to this. 

There is no moral factor in blowing up images on a computer screen, and no risk to your person for doing anything. If you mess up you might not win the game. That really doesn't merit any discussion whatsoever. I've played a turn-based (rather than real-time) strategy game and the decision to go to war and the details of how you go about that has is in no way preparation for the real thing for any rational adult.

I'm really disappointed this has to be explained to anyone.

1 hour ago, zapatos said:

While tactically a waste of effort, the Dolittle Raid in WWII was an eye opener for the Japanese people and a huge morale boost for the Americans.

And points to the earlier comment about how nobody would waste ammo blowing up a kindergarten. It is barbaric and demoralizing. There are reasons why the Russians are engaging in such tactics, but it's also one reason why (most of) the rest of the world is united against them.

In WWII you didn't have the ability to do precision bombing and avoid hitting civilian targets. Everybody was doing it. That's not the case today.

I think you may have missed Sensei's point, Swansont.

It is not about the difference between reality of war and playing games, nor about escalation, but rather, about letting the Russian people know that their Government has put them at war with Ukraine, and is hiding that information from them.
As he mentions, a lot of Russians, with little or no information about the outside world and the destruction being carried out ( by their forces in Ukraine ), truly believe Russian forces are on a 'peacekeeping' mission, or liberating Ukraine from a NAZI Government.

1 hour ago, MigL said:

I think you may have missed Sensei's point, Swansont.

It is not about the difference between reality of war and playing games, nor about escalation, but rather, about letting the Russian people know that their Government has put them at war with Ukraine, and is hiding that information from them.
As he mentions, a lot of Russians, with little or no information about the outside world and the destruction being carried out ( by their forces in Ukraine ), truly believe Russian forces are on a 'peacekeeping' mission, or liberating Ukraine from a NAZI Government.

I don't think I did, or perhaps the point was made badly.

You're talking about propaganda, which was in the latter half of the post, and has nothing to do with playing the computer games in question, AFAIK. Two distinct topics, and I wasn't talking about the second one.

6 hours ago, zapatos said:

Attack on the civilians is plain stupid. From militarian, economical and humanitian point of view. Bombing tank's factory prevents them from appearing on the battle field. Bombing city creates more enemies who demand retaliation. That's how US lost the all wars in the last 50 years or so.. Every day created more opponents ("terrorists"/"rebeliants") than decrease their quantity..

Max Boot waxes optimistic....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/03/21/ukraine-is-winning-war-russia-offensive-putin/

Accessible URL for the paywall blocked....

https://archive.ph/2022.03.21-131404/https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/03/21/ukraine-is-winning-war-russia-offensive-putin/

Suggesting this is a win for Ukraine might be an overstatement.  No one wins here, but I agree there could be a stalemate if Putin doesn't decide his humiliation is too much to bear and drop a tac nuke.  Or two.  I think there's less chance of that, given the pariah status already attained with conventional weapons directed at civilians.  

1 minute ago, TheVat said:

Suggesting this is a win for Ukraine might be an overstatement.  No one wins here, but I agree there could be a stalemate if Putin doesn't decide his humiliation is too much to bear and drop a tac nuke.  Or two.  I think there's less chance of that, given the pariah status already attained with conventional weapons directed at civilians.  

What will be left of Ukraine?

3 hours ago, iNow said:

A better question IMO is what will be left of Russia 

If it means the demise of Putin, a far better Russia I would hope. Just as we have a far better USA with the demise of Trump.

Infrastructure can be rebuilt, and on that score, the Ukraine will rise again.

2 hours ago, beecee said:

If it means the demise of Putin, a far better Russia I would hope. Just as we have a far better USA with the demise of Trump.

Infrastructure can be rebuilt, and on that score, the Ukraine will rise again.

To bring about Putin's demise, don't you think one would need to be more devious than him? Do good guys win dirty games?

47 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

To bring about Putin's demise, don't you think one would need to be more devious than him? Do good guys win dirty games?

I mentioned earlier, imo it will take the Russian people to bring about his demise.