Trump Connection to Hydroxychloroquine (split from Corona virus general questions mega thread)

iNow

2 minutes ago, MigL said:

I thought borders were already closed other than transporting of goods.

That why to some extent it appears to be more symbolic than actually having a practical reason. But it appears that they will also pause green card processing, which would affect folks already in the US, waiting for a green card. At the same time it does not appear to affect folks on immigration work visa.  And to me it is not clear what happens if status runs out while waiting in the US for a green card (though probably only few are affected).

But for the most part it is just one of the things to show that he still cares about such things to his base, I assume (or a general distraction from their leadership issues in addressing the epidemic).

17 hours ago, CharonY said:

That why to some extent it appears to be more symbolic than actually having a practical reason. But it appears that they will also pause green card processing, which would affect folks already in the US, waiting for a green card. At the same time it does not appear to affect folks on immigration work visa.  And to me it is not clear what happens if status runs out while waiting in the US for a green card (though probably only few are affected).

But for the most part it is just one of the things to show that he still cares about such things to his base, I assume (or a general distraction from their leadership issues in addressing the epidemic).

Also baiting the Democrats to over complain about something that, net effect at least, most Americans would be on board with. Most would agree that the borders should be for the most part closed due to Covid 19 (as they already are), and in the mind of the Public this reinforces it. (in actuality not much...as you said...no practical reason)

This should be mocked as a redundant measure. When vilified the talking point goes to Trump. He's probably already writing ads pointing out how Dems want to "open the borders" during the height of the pandemic, while wrapping himself in the flag and putting Americans first.

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/22/21231763/dr-rick-bright-fired-hhs-hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-vaccine-trump

Dr. Rick Bright says his demotion is an example of the White House putting “cronyism ahead of science.”

In a scathing letter, the former director of the federal agency overseeing the development of a coronavirus vaccine claims he was removed from his post following clashes with Trump administration officials over their pushing of unproven and potentially dangerous coronavirus treatments.

Eh, politically there is no winning with Trump. There is so much stuff out there, there is no strong strategy to counter any of it. In the impeachment process Democrats tried to run a very narrow focus on things, and it did not help. Also being anti-immigration is always a safe call.

2 hours ago, iNow said:

And yet another example how the administrations cripples their own response in order to support their narrative. 

4 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

This should be mocked as a redundant measure. When vilified the talking point goes to Trump. He's probably already writing ads pointing out how Dems want to "open the borders" during the height of the pandemic, while wrapping himself in the flag and putting Americans first.

Well, turns out that the WSJ editorial board is also calling it out as a distraction and endangering the economy.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trumps-immigration-distraction-11587511218

24 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Thanks. Has anyone read it, and agreed with the conclusion that it, specifically the 60 day suspension of immigration with all the exceptions, will hurt the economic recovery?

Or just agree that it's politically motivated, and/or intended as a distraction?

3 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Thanks. Has anyone read it, and agreed with the conclusion that it, specifically the 60 day suspension of immigration with all the exceptions, will hurt the economic recovery?

Or just agree that it's politically motivated, and/or intended as a distraction?

Maybe he is trying to hide in plain sight, but that's not his MO...

Edited by dimreepr

And to prove my point that you guys are overestimating his greed, and underestimating his stupidity...

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/skbaer/coronavirus-trump-light-disinfectants

President Trump has now suggested experts find a way to inject light or disinfectants into the human body to combat Covid-19.
( I myself have been doing that for years, by raising my blood alcohol level; but not before driving )

Edited by MigL

4 hours ago, MigL said:

And to prove my point that you guys are overestimating his greed, and underestimating his stupidity...

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/skbaer/coronavirus-trump-light-disinfectants

President Trump has now suggested experts find a way to inject light or disinfectants into the human body to combat Covid-19.
( I myself have been doing that for years, by raising my blood alcohol level; but not before driving )

It's almost to stupid too believe it's true.

4 hours ago, MigL said:

Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice [or greed] that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

And, "Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

9 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

I think he's onto something...given enough light and disinfectant and your chances of dying from Covid 19 drop dramatically...

The only thing that might make you think "I wish I had covid-19 instead"

Timely:

Don't inject disinfectants, Lysol warns as Trump raises idea

WASHINGTON (AP) — The parent company of Lysol and another disinfectant warned Friday that its products should not be used as an internal treatment for the coronavirus after President Donald Trump wondered about the prospect during a White House briefing.

Trump noted Thursday that researchers were looking at the effects of disinfectants on the virus and wondered aloud if they could be injected into people, saying the virus “does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it would be interesting to check that.”

That prompted a strong warning from the maker of disinfectants Lysol and Dettol, which said it was issuing a statement to combat “recent speculation.”

“As a global leader in health and hygiene products, we must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion or any other route),” said the statement from Reckitt Benckiser.

https://apnews.com/697d9ecef7f89cf5e9abb3b008c7faa7

Meanwhile, I continue wondering: What’s he trying to distract us from? What was he doing that required a comment so crazy to hide from view? We’ve spent 2 days talking about Lysol and a lot can happen behind the scenes during 2 days.  I continue wondering what it was. 

4 minutes ago, iNow said:

Meanwhile, I continue wondering: What’s he trying to distract us from? What was he doing that required a comment so crazy to hide from view? We’ve spent 2 days talking about Lysol and a lot can happen behind the scenes during 2 days.  I continue wondering what it was. 

On 4/24/2020 at 5:55 AM, Strange said:

Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice [or greed] that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Right. I’m not convinced stupidity is an adequate explanation for what we are experiencing.  

He’s a master at controlling media narratives. It’s too simplistic to assume this past four years has been nothing more than a string of mistakes from a village idiot. There’s a method to the madness...

Edited by iNow

29 minutes ago, iNow said:

Right. I’m not convinced stupidity is an adequate explanation for what we are experiencing.  

He’s a master at controlling media narratives. It’s too simplistic to assume this past four years has been nothing more than a string of mistakes from a village idiot. There’s a method to the madness...

He may well be burying bad news but he's still going to have to answer for them eventually. "You can fool some people...". I reckon in the end he'll likely run out of escape options.

Edited by StringJunky