Religions influence on Science

Handy andy

2 hours ago, Strange said:

I think you are confusing the Quakers with the Amish. Unless US Quakers are very different from Europe. 

I agree that creationists are, potentially, a danger. But by themselves they have no real power. It is when politicians collude with them that there is a real risk. 

In fact, there are probably as many examples of political interference with science as religious. Lysenkoism, for example. 

"creationists are, potentially, a danger. But by themselves they have no real power. It is when politicians collude with them OR HOLD THOSE VIEWS THEMSELVES that there is a real risk"  Added an important (to me at least) to your latest. 

And surely the biggest religious belief causing problems for the advancement of science is to be found within climate change.  A large part of the well-heeled and well-organized disruption of scientific work in this area is caused, at its root, by a belief in a world created by god for humans

21 hours ago, Prometheus said:

A word isn't necessarily exactly the same as any of its synonyms: else why would the English language have such a diverse pool of words to choose from.

I agree that faith and trust both require us to believe something. The subtlety here is that faith compels us to believe something regardless of the evidence. Science asks us to believe something so long as it accords with the evidence.

When you translate 'faith' into Dutch, you get 'vertrouwen' (=trust) or 'geloof' (=belief). There is no real Dutch word for 'faith'. That's probably because there is less religion in the Netherlands and Belgium...there is no use for such a word.

13 minutes ago, Itoero said:

When you translate 'faith' into Dutch, you get 'vertrouwen' (=trust) or 'geloof' (=belief). There is no real Dutch word for 'faith'. That's probably because there is less religion in the Netherlands and Belgium...there is no use for such a word.

Interesting, but when the language evolved,  the area was pretty much as religious as anywhere else.

The 3 words have similar meanings in English, and the distinction's not always obvious.

21 hours ago, Itoero said:

Overall, there simply are a lot less words in Dutch than in English. English has more choice for nuance.

English may have more words, but the Dutch may have the largest dictionary in the world.

http://www.worldslargestdictionary.com/

The world’s largest monolingual dictionary It is believed that the monolingual Dutch dictionary Woordenboek der Nederlandsche Taal is the largest monolingual dictionary available. It took 134 years to finish, starting in 1864 and finishing only in 1998. Initially published in 40 volumes, it is now available online at http://gtb.inl.nl/ The dictionary contains hundreds of thousands of headwords and over a million quotes from sources.

2 hours ago, Bender said:

Overall, there simply are a lot less words in Dutch than in English. English has more choice for nuance.

True

'faith' is 'foi' in French,  'fe' in Spanish and 'fede' in Italian..they stem from the Latin 'fidem'.

So, what have we learned?

1. That Creationists attempt to affect education about science.
  2. Other religious forces attempt to affect the political decisions made on the basis of climate science.

There seems little other evidence of religions effect of science.

The OP seems to have abandoned his claims about religion and science. Presumably because they are unsupportable and he was just having a little rant about a theory he doesn't like.

Perhaps it is time to close this thread now it has degenerate into silly comments.

On 26/07/2017 at 3:20 PM, Itoero said:

When you translate the word 'godsdienst' you get 'religion'. Obviously there is more 'godsdienst' in the Netherlands and Belgium.

"Languages differ by differentiating differently"

4 hours ago, Eise said:

When you translate the word 'godsdienst' you get 'religion'. Obviously there is more 'godsdienst' in the Netherlands and Belgium.

"Languages differ by differentiating differently"

I used the word 'probably', it was just an idea.  And 'godsdienst' is not always the same as 'religie'. 'religie' is the real translation from 'religion'.

edit: a real translation of 'godsdienst' is 'god service' or 'service of god'

Edited by Itoero

12 hours ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

!

Moderator Note

You are entitled to your opinion, but it would be preferred if you could keep it constructive and actually contribute to discussion.

I am sorry , most of you are from christian majority nations . When someone brings up a topic about science and religion , its almost like bible and science .What is in  bible that is about science , almost nothing

Edited by bimbo36

12 hours ago, Itoero said:

I used the word 'probably', it was just an idea.  And 'godsdienst' is not always the same as 'religie'. 'religie' is the real translation from 'religion'.

edit: a real translation of 'godsdienst' is 'god service' or 'service of god'

The edit is a literal translation, not how the word is actually used.

There is definitely some nuance in the translation, but I'm not sure there is a consensus about what that nuance is exactly as I've seen differing attempts.

8 minutes ago, Strange said:

That "rule" was just one writer's preference that was somehow adopted by pedants as an absolute truth. Less has always been used with countables. 

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/003775.html

Nevertheless (or, if you prefer, neverthefewer) I still have to supress the gag reflex each time I hear the "rule" breached. If this makes me a pedant I shall wear the badge with pride.

12 minutes ago, Area54 said:

Nevertheless (or, if you prefer, neverthefewer) I still have to supress the gag reflex each time I hear the "rule" breached. If this makes me a pedant I shall wear the badge with pride.

It is your stylistic preference. We all have those (and sometime defend them passionately). On the other hand, I see nothing wrong with the old usage of less.

Edited by Strange

13 hours ago, Bender said:

The edit is a literal translation, not how the word is actually used.

There is definitely some nuance in the translation, but I'm not sure there is a consensus about what that nuance is exactly as I've seen differing attempts.

'godsdienst' refers to theistic religions.

21 minutes ago, Handy andy said:

Quantum foam being a good candidate for gravity something I am interested in.

I wish you would start a thread on this so that we can (a) find out WTF you are talking about and (b) discuss it sensibly (i.e. non religiously).