63 replies to this topic

#21 Strange

Strange

SuperNerd

• Senior Members
  • 12,444 posts
  • Location珈琲店

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:44 AM

Alright, I stand corrected on the quarks and leptons. But what about this talk of time travel, wormholes, and dimensions?  Actually applicable, or just fun to talk about?

And even if their only purpose is to be "fun to talk about", is that a bad thing? It might stimulate new ideas or encourage young people to study physics. And who knows what might come out of that...

#22 DrP

DrP

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 1,836 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:11 AM

err - the photoelectric effect!? Heck of a lot of practical application of that, which is a QM effect. EE, you are just unaware of the scale of which QM is used in everyone's everyday lives obviously.

"Tonight I am going to party like it's on sale for $19.99"! - Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

#23 Strange

Strange

SuperNerd

• Senior Members
  • 12,444 posts
  • Location珈琲店

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:24 AM

But what about this talk of time travel, wormholes, and dimensions?  Actually applicable, or just fun to talk about?

Don't those ideas come mainly from general relativity, not quantum theory?

#24 DrP

DrP

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 1,836 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:34 AM

I would imagine they come from a collection of scientific theories rather than just one as it goes Strange.  :-)  Most theories tend to build on scientific principles laid out in earlier theories I would think.

"Tonight I am going to party like it's on sale for $19.99"! - Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

#25 DevilSolution

DevilSolution

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 735 posts
  • LocationEngland / Wales

Posted 5 September 2015 - 03:58 AM

Theres obviously 2 ways of looking at it.

1) Its the area of physics were yet to fully understand, even partially. It has and will offer great breakthroughs for mankind and is the only real direction physics can move. It already has a large list of usefull progressions that have aided mankind massively. A good example is the jahn teller metal just created within the last few months. Its a superconductor with a very low critical temprature, its also an insulator, metal and magnet simaltaniously. Offers great potential for various purposes.

2) It has turned into a form of pseudo science whereby new theories are being written up but have no physical evidence other than abstract theoretical math. Theres lots of conflicting theories and theres a herd mentalility to which theory is agreed upon. Finally it could be said very intelligent people are wasting huge amounts of time on theories that are almost impossible to prove and have no advantage to human progress.

Its important to note that quantum refers to anything sub atomic, such as electrons, protons and neutrons. At this basic level it has given us a much greater understanding of chemistry, electromagnetism and physics in general.

Theres a major flaw in QM in that it doesnt work with the classical physics which is used 80% of the time in engineering and such.

My personal opinion is that QM is by no means a waste of time, however the amount of time and money thats invested into it should be for more practical purposes rather than creating wild and exotic theories because theyre more fun.

The primary goal should be to unify physics so that its no longer conflicting.

One final note id like to add is the limitations of QM, i firmly believe that we are physically constrained by the apparatus. There is limit to the time variable and size variable we can explore. For example if we define time as being relative and the speed of light the fastest thing we can observe then its fair to say anything moving faster than the speed of light simply cant be captured.

An organism at war with itself is doomed.

#26 ajb

ajb

Physics Expert

• Resident Experts
  • 9,905 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg City, Luxembourg

Posted 5 September 2015 - 06:34 AM

Theres a major flaw in QM in that it doesnt work with the classical physics which is used 80% of the time in engineering and such.

In what way? Can you be more specific?

For standard quantum mechanics we do have a classical limit. We also have several results that 'mimic' classical mechanics; Ehrenfest theorem for example.

More worrying is the classical limit of quantum field theories when treated in perturbation theory. The classical limit of perturbative QED is not well defined, for example.

We also have the case that different quantum field theories can have the same classical limit.
"In physics you don't have to go around making trouble for yourself - nature does it for you" Frank Wilczek.

Mathematical Ramblings.

#27 studiot

studiot

Genius

• Senior Members
  • 6,495 posts
  • LocationSomerset, England

Posted 5 September 2015 - 09:05 AM

The end of the quantum theory for the man with the disgusting pink avatar??

quantS.jpg

#28 ErwinC.J.Schrödinger

ErwinC.J.Schrödinger

Lepton

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:00 PM

The reason it is so important is due to the fact that if you understand the fabric/foundation of the universe, and find a way to munipulate it, then the posiblitys are endless, but yeah in reality we wont be able to use this knowledge for aloooong time.

#29 Sensei

Sensei

Scientist

• Senior Members
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 4 August 2016 - 02:29 AM

It might stimulate new ideas or encourage young people to study physics. And who knows what might come out of that...

I just wrote mail to my government that they should make factory of Cloud Chambers, Peltier cooled,
to put them in the every primary school, middle, and universities..
In the hall. And physics class room.

Children should be accustomized with quantum physics since the early age of their life.

#30 Daecon

Daecon

Formerly Transdecimal

• Senior Members
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 4 August 2016 - 05:09 AM

Anything that furthers our understanding of how reality works is a worthwhile endeavor.
Cast your influence, cast your might.

#31 swansont

swansont

Evil Liar (or so I'm told)

• Moderators
  • 36,080 posts
  • LocationWashington DC region

Posted 4 August 2016 - 09:58 AM

I just wrote mail to my government that they should make factory of Cloud Chambers, Peltier cooled,
to put them in the every primary school, middle, and universities..
In the hall. And physics class room.

Children should be accustomized with quantum physics since the early age of their life.

I'd settle for a (more or less) continuously running device on a webcam.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum          To go to the fortress of ultimate darkness, click the up arrow ^

I am not a minimum-wage government shill.             Forget it, Jake — it's Crackpottown.

My SFN blog: Swans on Tea                                                           

#32 DrP

DrP

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 1,836 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 4 August 2016 - 10:47 AM

...spectroscopic methods? Super useful in industry...  down to QM.

#33 J.C.MacSwell

J.C.MacSwell

Organism

• Senior Members
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 4 August 2016 - 12:24 PM

Yes, sure, but what has the latest research done for us lately...

To smugly go where many have gone before

#34 DrP

DrP

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 1,836 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 4 August 2016 - 12:58 PM

lol - I was thinking of that sketch earlier w.r.t. this thread.

#35 Sriman Dutta

Sriman Dutta

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationKolkata, India

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:20 PM

Quantum mechanics is of immense use to modern physics. It is a major step forward towards understanding of this 'complex' universe. Perhaps, it can also lead to formulation of grand unified theory.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence is then not an act but a habit.
-Aristotle

#36 bimbo36

bimbo36

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 03:06 PM

isn't this all about understanding how atoms works at its deepest levels ??

i am just a computer science student , i am not a physicist ...

i still don't know what holds an electron to its place ...

does this resemble atoms ?

800px_Passionfruit_cream.jpg

but after watching a lot of documentaries on quantum physics ...

i ended up watching this documentary ...

its not bad as it sounds ...

#37 swansont

swansont

• Moderators
  • 36,080 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:36 PM

isn't this all about understanding how atoms works at its deepest levels ??

i am just a computer science student , i am not a physicist ...

i still don't know what holds an electron to its place ...

Electrons are not held in place in atoms, but what holds electrons in atoms is electrostatic attraction.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum          To go to the fortress of ultimate darkness, click the up arrow ^

I am not a minimum-wage government shill.             Forget it, Jake — it's Crackpottown.

#38 bimbo36

bimbo36

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:25 PM

thanks ,

how does an electron avoid collision with a proton then ?

#39 swansont

swansont

• Moderators
  • 36,080 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:26 PM

thanks ,

how does an electron avoid collision with a proton then ?

Electrons behave like waves. It will pass through/by the proton, but sticking to it is not an allowed state. (Combining with the proton is not energetically allowed for a single proton, though it can happen in some nuclei)

#40 bimbo36

bimbo36

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:39 PM

swansont ,

thanks a lot for the explanations ...

^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users