All negative Clicks must be made Public !

I think only Cowards give motivated negative Clicks on Posts without any rhyme or reason !

To avoid this bad trend those who give negative Clicks must be shown with the reason behind it.

Then it will be a fair game and at least one can make out who is a friend or an enemy !

For the same reason I have reset my friends list and will wait for anyone to add me as a friend as against my adding friends which I did earlier !

Also, I do remember those who had not accepted my invite earlier and those who had removed themselves from the list. I don't believe in forcing anyone.

Perhaps I might still have some courageous friends standing up for me !

!

Moderator Note

Does this thread have a point? If you're just wanting to discuss the negative reputation system, there are plenty of threads on this already, one of which you are active in (http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/88129-negative-reputation-again-split-from-science-forums-etiquette/). Unless you have something new to discuss, this will be closed.

!

Moderator Note

Does this thread have a point? If you're just wanting to discuss the negative reputation system, there are plenty of threads on this already, one of which you are active in (http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/88129-negative-reputation-again-split-from-science-forums-etiquette/). Unless you have something new to discuss, this will be closed.

It is a suggestion for the improvement of this site

Then it will be a fair game and at least one can make out who is a friend or an enemy !

That is a very polarised view.

John Cuthber advice on how to stop getting negative points is sound, if a little short.

Another way to improve the site would be to post better stuff. This would also stop you getting negative points.

Better stuff is a matter of opinion and judge not that you will be judged.

We aim to provide all individuals, regardless of their education level, a forum to express their ideas and love of science.

is what is guaranteed by this site and no one should give neg clicks in disagreement or hatred.

Those who have conscience must reverse those clicks !

That is a very polarised view.

John Cuthber advice on how to stop getting negative points is sound, if a little short.

I agree it need not be friend or enemy but can mean 'for' or 'so deadly against to slap'

Edited by Commander

Better stuff is a matter of opinion and judge not that you will be judged.

"Better" might include:

- Not posting your opinion as fact

- Providing some evidence to support your "theories"

- Not attacking people who disagree with you

is what is guaranteed by this site and no one should give neg clicks in disagreement or hatred.[/size]

Most negative votes are not personal and are not attacking you as such, but rather the ideas or even more the way in which the ideas are presented and/or the lack of consideration of replies. Edited by ajb

The Rep system on Scienceforums.net seems at times to be a method of bullying induviduals, take the to & thro example of Myself & Strange on Canadians and Aliens. The thread was in the lounge not in the Politics Section and to Me "A nod is as good as a wink to a blind man" when Strange said;

I doubt the veracity of his information, not his sincerity in believing It. I suppose he could be deliberately lying, but that is usually the last thing I would consider (well, aliens walking among us is the last thing I would consider).

So when I pressed Strange for a direct answer(this thread was not in the politics section) He continued dancing with words earning Me over -10 Rep Points in total, this to Me makes a mockery of the Rep system and down-right bullying!

Why is the Rep system even needed? Are the folk who partake on here words and statements not enough to judge them?

In fact I believe it would be a good idea to remove the Rep system totally!

Edited by Ant Sinclair

...Why is the Rep system even needed? Are the folk who partake on here words and statements not enough to judge them?

The rep system is a quick way of showing approval/disapproval/Me too without derailing the thread. If a person is well out of order or bullying they will be reported. If you are getting hammered with negs, it's time to take stock and engage in some self-assessment.

Edited by StringJunky

The rep system is a quick way of showing approval/disapproval/Me too without derailing the thread. If a person is well out of order or bullying they will be reported. If you are getting hammered with negs, it's time to take to take stock and engage in some self-assessment.

Well then does there need to be a second system put in place, one for agreeing with statements and one for science facts/science speculations?

So when I pressed Strange for a direct answer(this thread was not in the politics section) He continued dancing with words earning Me over -10 Rep Points in total, this to Me makes a mockery of the Rep system and down-right bullying!

The fact that I repeatedly gave you the direct answer you asked for but you ignored it and kept claiming I that I had not, is probably the reason for the negative votes. Anyone can go to that thread and see how many times I said: "I do not believe he is lying". Perhaps you could suggest how that statement could be made more direct?

I doubt the veracity of his information, not his sincerity in believing It. I suppose he could be deliberately lying, but that is usually the last thing I would consider (well, aliens walking among us is the last thing I would consider).

My niece is at Uni taking an English course, I'll ask Her to run this by Her lecturers to see how they would view/interpret the above statenent and get back to You!

Why is the Rep system even needed? Are the folk who partake on here words and statements not enough to judge them?

Nope. Someone not conversant in a particular area of science may not know that someone else's claim is crackpottery. The one making the claim can't be trusted; they invariably "know" they are right. reputation is a way of showing a post's and/or the contributor's credibility.

Agreed when science facts are being evaluated but disagree when Rep points are awarded for derogatory/jokey statements or statements like "post hoc, ergo propter hoc fallacy", why should folk reading threads be made to believe that a individual should be trusted more for copying and pasting a phrase from the internet?

Agreed when science facts are being evaluated but disagree when Rep points are awarded for derogatory/jokey statements or statements like "post hoc, ergo propter hoc fallacy", why should folk reading threads be made to believe that a individual should be trusted more for copying and pasting a phrase from the internet?

Why would you assume that phrase (or any other) was "copied and pasted from the Internet"? In the most recent thread where I have seen that phrase used, it seemed like an accurate assessment of the fallacious thinking involved. It was neither derogatory nor jokey.

Why would I assume it?, because it has been branded all over the internet as a reply to challenges on the seriousness of the ongoing damage being done by the Fukushima incident thats why!

That's just it, though — if you make a claim but don't back it up with actual evidence, you have not demonstrated that the fallacy is not in place. Anyone agreeing with the objection might upvote the post rather than make a materially identical post, and/or downvote the post making the unsubstantiated claim. In this case, the reputation system clears up the clutter of "me, too" posts that could bog down the conversation.

One can argue until cows come home but that is not the intention.

I have a fair idea who are the members who might be enjoying giving me negative clicks but I don't want to guess and retaliate. That can not be the silly intention of this site.

Yes, I am bold to reply whether I did give a neg click or not but won't bother to do so because the moderators and admin know it all anyway.

I agree with my good friend EdEarl that getting a neg click is like getting a slap and unfortunately there are many who enjoy doing this anonymously. I am sure he and my other good friends like imatfaal, studiot and perhaps ajb too can never give me neg click being sensitive to my feelings.

I too never will give a neg click to anyone whom I consider a friend or who I know has given me more positive clicks than neg irrespective of the merit of the post [love your neighbor as you love thyself - and never think too high of yourself and get into judging].

To cut the long story short I just don't enjoy getting whimsical and motivated neg clicks and do not believe in casting my pearls nilly willy ! Moderators know who did what click and can inform the friendly members and experts too and a mafia can work against any member who will be crucified whether Copernicus or Jesus !

One can argue until cows come home but that is not the intention.

I have a fair idea who are the members who might be enjoying giving me negative clicks but I don't want to guess and retaliate. That can not be the silly intention of this site.

Yes, I am bold to reply whether I did give a neg click or not but won't bother to do so because the moderators and admin know it all anyway.

I agree with my good friend EdEarl that getting a neg click is like getting a slap and unfortunately there are many who enjoy doing this anonymously. I am sure he and my other good friends like imatfaal, studiot and perhaps ajb too can never give me neg click being sensitive to my feelings.

I too never will give a neg click to anyone whom I consider a friend or who I know has given me more positive clicks than neg irrespective of the merit of the post [love your neighbor as you love thyself - and never think too high of yourself and get into judging].

To cut the long story short I just don't enjoy getting whimsical and motivated neg clicks and do not believe in casting my pearls nilly willy ! Moderators know who did what click and can inform the friendly members and experts too and a mafia can work against any member who will be crucified whether Copernicus or Jesus !

Nobody is judging you, how could they?

All they see of you in this situation is what you write; taking a neg rep personally is counter productive, as it blinds you to the real reason and limits your potential to learn from it.

I have never found any benefit from the 'Friends' system in any forum that I have been involved with.

Such systems seem to be mandated by the annoyance division of the 'Forum Software Writers Association' and comes with all forum software.

I avoid any involvement in forum 'Friends' processes.

The reputation system has merits, however.

Personally I have only issued negative points twice (I think) in the three years I have been a member here.

Certainly I condemn the practice of piling on the red as Ant Sinclair reported here.

Surely if someone has done something annoying, 1 red mark is enough to make the point?

I use the green points less sparingly to encourage what I consider good practice or to express admiration for a point well put or well argued.

I also agree with the OP that if something is worth making a note about, good or bad, it is worth stating that note.

Edited by studiot

Wow, Strange has some powers I was unaware of. He earned YOU over -10 rep points?! I'm sure he'll step up and take responsibility soon. I know integrity is important to him.

We do keep an eye out for those who abuse the system. Members also correct rep points given that they don't agree with (I try to correct negative rep on Opening Posts in principle).

Commander, I think you make yourself a target with your blustering. You demand people do things, you make assertions instead of ask questions, and you often post replies that look like you didn't really listen to what others have written. This is frustrating, and can lead to some negative points.

Wow, Strange has some powers I was unaware of. He earned YOU over -10 rep points?! I'm sure he'll step up and take responsibility soon. I know integrity is important to him.

It's true. I kept repeating the same simple declaration in order to garner some negative points for Ant. I didn't realise it would be so easy. </sarcasm>