The Official JOKES SECTION :)

YT2095

Now another artist, a London-based artist who operates under the name The Misfortuneteller, says the idea was stolen from him.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2024/mar/25/its-not-banksys-its-mine-artist-says-bristol-plaque-to-adulterer-is-a-copy

Who put up the plaque commemorating the “husband, father, adulterer” – which included the payoff line “Roger, I knew” – remains unknown. But while locals speculated that Banksy may have been involved, another artist has now suggested they are the victim of a rip-off.

The London-based creator, who operates under the name The Misfortuneteller, said he created a near-identical plaque in March 2020 after wandering around New York’s Central Park and looking at the inscriptions on benches.

“Plaques are fine but they’re not really that truthful,” he said. “I wanted to do honest memorial plaques. Bittersweet ones.”

He mocked-up a series of images featuring offbeat tributes to the deceased. Some of the designs were sold as real engraved plaques. An ex-girlfriend is commemorated with a real-life plaque reading: “For Barbara – Who was awful when hungry but otherwise pretty solid.”

Others took on a life of their own after going viral, often being shared without credit or posted by meme aggregation accounts on Instagram.

No one bought his design paying tribute to a “cherished husband, dad and adulterer”, even though the image proved popular online.

As a result, The Misfortuneteller said he was surprised to see his original design and phrasing reappear on the Bristol bench this week, prompting him to say: “It’s not Banksy’s; it’s fucking mine.”

2 hours ago, TheVat said:

Now another artist, a London-based artist who operates under the name The Misfortuneteller, says the idea was stolen from him.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2024/mar/25/its-not-banksys-its-mine-artist-says-bristol-plaque-to-adulterer-is-a-copy

Who put up the plaque commemorating the “husband, father, adulterer” – which included the payoff line “Roger, I knew” – remains unknown. But while locals speculated that Banksy may have been involved, another artist has now suggested they are the victim of a rip-off.

The London-based creator, who operates under the name The Misfortuneteller, said he created a near-identical plaque in March 2020 after wandering around New York’s Central Park and looking at the inscriptions on benches.

“Plaques are fine but they’re not really that truthful,” he said. “I wanted to do honest memorial plaques. Bittersweet ones.”

He mocked-up a series of images featuring offbeat tributes to the deceased. Some of the designs were sold as real engraved plaques. An ex-girlfriend is commemorated with a real-life plaque reading: “For Barbara – Who was awful when hungry but otherwise pretty solid.”

Others took on a life of their own after going viral, often being shared without credit or posted by meme aggregation accounts on Instagram.

No one bought his design paying tribute to a “cherished husband, dad and adulterer”, even though the image proved popular online.

As a result, The Misfortuneteller said he was surprised to see his original design and phrasing reappear on the Bristol bench this week, prompting him to say: “It’s not Banksy’s; it’s fucking mine.”

Why do people get antsy about stuff. Nobody creates in a vacuum.

5 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Property rights are the root of wealth transfer across generations and our selfish genes practically demand it 

7 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Nobody creates in a vacuum.

Actually, Astronaughts on the ISS going on Spacewalks do. 

Sorry, was the joke section so couldn't resist. 

Didn't someone else independently invent calculus around the same time that Isaac Newton did? I forget his name, German guy. Him and Newton hated each other. 

It wouldn't be that crazy for two people with a similar sense of humour to look at memorial benches and come up with this though. How tf can someone own putting bittersweet messages on memorial benches? Or what if that bench isn't a joke at all but serious? 

17 hours ago, StringJunky said:

$$$, unfortunately .

Though in this case, trying to define a joke like that as intellectual property is really reaching IMO.  

11 hours ago, MSC said:

Didn't someone else independently invent calculus around the same time that Isaac Newton did? I forget his name, German guy. Him and Newton hated each other. 

It wouldn't be that crazy for two people with a similar sense of humour to look at memorial benches and come up with this though. How tf can someone own putting bittersweet messages on memorial benches? Or what if that bench isn't a joke at all but serious? 

Yeah, independent creation happens all the time*. Especially on a smaller scale than calculus. “you stole my idea” is pretty common, too

*I’ve got a cartoon sketch about dinosaurs watching a triceratops and claiming to be tricurious, and Colbert made a similar joke on his show a few years later. Nobody stole the idea from me, and it’s a fairly obvious play on words. Not the only time something like this happened to me.

38 minutes ago, swansont said:

Yeah, independent creation happens all the time*. Especially on a smaller scale than calculus. “you stole my idea” is pretty common, too

*I’ve got a cartoon sketch about dinosaurs watching a triceratops and claiming to be tricurious, and Colbert made a similar joke on his show a few years later. Nobody stole the idea from me, and it’s a fairly obvious play on words. Not the only time something like this happened to me.

Nor me, only yesterday I found out some random idea I had about nuclear propulsion was dreamed up in 1941.  It's either a case of collective consciousness or just the reality that intelligent people looking at reality intelligently will come up with similar ideas. The earliest examples being pyramids. It doesn't take much to understand that a low entropy stucture like a pyramid will withstand the test of time far longer than an obelisk will. 

10 hours ago, Eise said:

Thank you! Knew it was a German name. The consensus in the end was that they'd both developed calculus independently, although I do find the timing curious, which is why I mentioned Jungs collective consciousness in my response to swansont. 

Anyway sorry for making the joke thread less about jokes. I can't find my off switch. 

6 minutes ago, iNow said:

Would it help if I flipped you off?

No need, you entered the room. Trust me, I'm turned off already..

1 hour ago, iNow said:

I thought it was clever. Didn’t think anyone would explode over it 

I got a chilly reception for my idea for designer underwear for scientists: Kelvin Klein.

3 hours ago, Phi for All said:

I got a chilly reception for my idea for designer underwear for scientists: Kelvin Klein.

Kelvin Klein. For your absolute unit.

5 hours ago, Phi for All said:

Sounds like junk science.  

On 3/27/2024 at 6:35 AM, TheVat said:

Should we keep quick-tempered people in a short fuse box?

That sounds like my wife. The other day she told me she doesn't understand cloning. I said, "That makes two of us!"

On 4/9/2023 at 10:54 AM, TheVat said:

What's cute and fluffy and full of glycerides?

The ester bunny.

What's cute and fluffy and passed out on the lawn?

The ether bunny.