Out dated words or phrases

Moontanman

I always thought a drugstore cowboy was someone who stole prescription meds from drugstores. Geez Louise did I ever get that wrong!

I say awesome and cool. Are those words still kosher?

My list:

rad

sike

copacetic ( I actually don't know what this means, but we used it a lot in highschool)

That's so awesome, dude!

That's a beauty!

I can't think of any others.

(Edit for spelling)

Edited by jeskill

Relatively few tannoy systems are made by tannoy.

It has been a while since you actually rang off at the end of a phone call.

Most of the people I meet who "have an axe to grind" have no axe, nor the equipment to grind it.

A lot of musicians sign up to a record label, but they don't actually make records much any more

Edited by John Cuthber

A couple more that have or will go out soon, I think. Anyone remember what a rumble seat was? Carbon paper? Anyone make collect calls anymore?

Perhaps younger people don't understand what Cc stands for when they write(if pressing keys is writing) e-mails?

I remember:

The milk man delivering milk to our back door.

Hobos knocking on our door hoping for a meal. Which they always got and ate on the back porch.

The nuns hitting us if we had a smart mouth.

Shampoo bottles made of glass. You can imagine the results of that.

My dad fixing his own roof.

'Do not fold, spindle, or mutilate."

When no cars had air conditioning.

How in every generation in my family for all of history, the wife cooked, cleaned, and waited on her husband. Until my generation. Damn!

Candy cigarettes.

Cigarette ads on television that touted their health benefits.

Playing with mercury that was on the ground over by the factory. We'd push it around and try to scoop it up into little bottles.

Young ladies hitchhiking.

The guy building an addition to our house without using any power tools. (They were available, he was at the end of that generation.)

Not one of the kids I hung around with had parents who were divorced.

Making toy soldiers by melting lead and pouring it into molds.

Cutting asbestos tiles and siding.

If your dog or cat got sick, instead of taking it to the vet you'd get a new one when it died.

Edited by zapatos

A couple more that have or will go out soon, I think. Anyone remember what a rumble seat was? Carbon paper? Anyone make collect calls anymore?

I have actually seen an email only (ie scanned to pdf) copy of a hard copy letter called a low carbon copy - the sender was old enough to be doing it knowingly. And I don't know what a rumble seat is/was

I used carbon paper yesterday for a projectile motion experiment. I also live in a city whose population thrives on the collection of classic cars so I see rumble seats everywhere. That said I can't see the rumble seat ever making a comeback and so the word usage will probably soon follow in the wake of demise.

Typewriter is getting there I give it twenty years . . . .

Oh and pecker . . .

I used carbon paper yesterday for a projectile motion experiment. I also live in a city whose population thrives on the collection of classic cars so I see rumble seats everywhere. That said I can't see the rumble seat ever making a comeback and so the word usage will probably soon follow in the wake of demise.

Typewriter is getting there I give it twenty years . . . .

Oh and pecker . . .

I have a suspicion that the expression "keep you pecker up" has a different meaning each side of the Atlantic.

http://www.phrases.o...ngs/217400.html

Edited by Joatmon

I remember:

The milk man delivering milk to our back door.

Hobos knocking on our door hoping for a meal. Which they always got and ate on the back porch.

The nuns hitting us if we had a smart mouth.

Shampoo bottles made of glass. You can imagine the results of that.

My dad fixing his own roof.

'Do not fold, spindle, or mutilate."

When no cars had air conditioning.

How in every generation in my family for all of history, the wife cooked, cleaned, and waited on her husband. Until my generation. Damn!

Candy cigarettes.

Cigarette ads on television that touted their health benefits.

Playing with mercury that was on the ground over by the factory. We'd push it around and try to scoop it up into little bottles.

Young ladies hitchhiking.

The guy building an addition to our house without using any power tools. (They were available, he was at the end of that generation.)

Not one of the kids I hung around with had parents who were divorced.

Making toy soldiers by melting lead and pouring it into molds.

Cutting asbestos tiles and siding.

If your dog or cat got sick, instead of taking it to the vet you'd get a new one when it died.

I remember being jealous of my younger brother because he was given a "Mickey Mouse" gas mask whereas mine was very similar to the adult model

post-68560-0-15583700-1333012381_thumb.jpg