Out dated words or phrases

Moontanman

We all use slang in our language, it's part of how languages evolve, slang words become part of a language and slowly change that language. But there are also words or phrases that fall out of usage, words that no longer have meaning. Things like Drug Store Cowboy, does anyone remember what that means? Be fair, don't google it if you don't know what it means. Car hop? Soda jerk? How long before hacker become something no one knows what it means? How about sharing some of the words and phrases you remember that no long have real meaning in our society...

Drug Store Cowboy

Car Hop

Soda Jerk

My dad was a soda jerk when he was young, and we had car hops when I was a kid. It was a big deal for us to go out to the drive-in for a burger, fries and a shake and have the car hop hang the tray on your window.

Dungerees?

Slacks?

The US navy only recently did away with dungarees. I associate "slacks" with "polyester". Ugh.

it might be interesting to not only know the out of date phrases but what they have been replaced with as well.

Drugstore Cowboy = Poser...

My dad was a soda jerk when he was young, and we had car hops when I was a kid. It was a big deal for us to go out to the drive-in for a burger, fries and a shake and have the car hop hang the tray on your window.

If you ever come to Wilmington, NC let me know, I'll take where they still do that in the original parking lot/small building of the drive-in restaurant that has been in operation here at least fifty years, my wife's parents ate there when they were dating... they still serve the same flat burgers...

The US navy only recently did away with dungarees. I associate "slacks" with "polyester". Ugh.

Ok, it's that kind of attitude that ended my career as a polyester maker, I was very good at making the finest Dacron, oh yes....

I'm quite fond of "and all that jazz . . . "

So was my mother who used to say it. The song "All that Jazz" from "Chicago" always makes me smile! I'll resist my new found skill of posting a video.smile.gif

Edited by Joatmon

High and dry, bought the farm... kicked the bucket.

I still use those.

Oh! I thought we were looking for phrases where the etiology's been left in the lurch. Things we say, but don't really know why they mean what they mean... humm.. shiver me timbers I must be three sheets to the wind :)