Recent or upcoming games

Gilded

So, 2007-2008 has been a reasonably fruitful period in the category of awesome PC and console games, so I thought I'd make a thread about it. Played any recent games? Waiting for any?

I think the two best games last year were BioShock and Mass Effect, truly great gameplay, graphics and plot in both cases. Crysis wasn't bad either. Mass Effect was recently ported to PC and I finished it a while back and it was better than I expected (and had many of the elements that made Star Control 2 so enjoyable, for example well-written characters, exciting exploration and hot sex with blue aliens), but the optional part of the game was missing a bit of diversity that would've brought it a few steps closer to perfection. Still, I recommend both BioShock and Mass Effect for anyone who owns an Xbox 360 or a reasonably new PC.

And on the topic of upcoming games, I'm sort of expecting Fallout 3 but as a sworn Fallout 2 fanboy I'm a bit afraid it might not have the same kind of "charm" and gameplay that made the first two games so great.

This year I played COD4 Modern Warfare and I tell you it's quite a good game. The graphics are really good but the thing I don't really like about it the the fact that you're somehow told how to do everything. There is no room for creativity at all. Comparing Crysis with COD4, I say that in Crysis you have a lot of options, you can pick any way you like and on the other side COD4 really reduces your options.

Then Ghost Reckon: Advanced Warfighter 2 was really good too. It's a tactical game and the graphics rock too. But the game I think is just the best at this moment is Rainbow Six Vegas II. It simply rock! A combination of tactics, stealth and team work followed by some real real good graphics makes the game just be awesome.

I heard that Rainbow Six is bringing out Hawks soon, and they say it'll be quite a good one!

GTA IV was fine but a little one dimensional as far as online gameplay went, find the heart yet? Gears of War is probably the best as far as online gameplay goes COD 4 isn't bad but is nub because when you think about it you choose your spawn weapon and you respawn very quickly. Halo is full of kids and boring after a month, GoW delivers excelent online capabilities with GoW 2 being released in Nov of '08. Unreal Tournament which is still TbA on the 3/6 looks amazing as I have played for the PS3. Straight amazing.

Mass Effect blew chunks... boring.

Quake 4 is also worth mentioning.

Check out n+ at the marketplace. I would be interested in hearing about other good arcade games.

Anyone play any RTS games btw? I've been playing DoW quite a bit recently (got all expansions) and now I'm just waiting for DoW2 so that they can rob me of my money again. :P

Also, on the MMO front I've been playing Age of Conan. Too bad the graphics card fried on my newer computer so I haven't gotten the chance to get back to it. It's quite fun though.

I was thinking about upgrading my PC and picking up Age of Conan. I decided to wait though, heard there's lots of bugs to be worked out.

New MMOs are, almost without exception, buggy and severely lacking in content when they launch. So it might be a good idea to wait. :P

Perhaps they'll nerf the goddamn assassins and rangers too. :D

Anyone play any RTS games btw? I've been playing DoW quite a bit recently (got all expansions) and now I'm just waiting for DoW2 so that they can rob me of my money again. :P

I've got Supreme Commander and enjoy it, but haven't gotten that far. I've really been looking at Sins of a Solar Empire. I wonder if it is worth getting (and if I'd have time to play it).

I'll be checking out Metal Gear Solid 4 soon. All praises to the Playstation!

My housemate, who happens to work for a games developer (tester) hasn't stopped playing this since he bought it. His verdict, over the top Japanese craziness (especially the dialogue), highly polished, but expect to sit through massive cut scenes.

It looks awesome graphically, and a game that's quite fun to watch, even when you're not playing...which I've been doing whilst having breaks from my current assignment. :)

• 1 year later...

The only thing I've been able to find ANY time for lately are those goofy "social games" on Facebook, like FarmVille, etc. Really silly little games, but they can be fun for killing a few minutes if you have a bunch of friends playing. (I don't think I'd bother if it wasn't for my wife bugging me to hire her to work on my farm, or serve food in her cafe, or whatever nonsense everyone is playing this week.) (lol)

On a more entertaining note (though not a LOT more), I've been managing a couple of student projects that may show up on XBox Live in the Indie Games section next quarter. They won't be anything really special but it's fun to watch and manage that process. They even fight and snip at each other, just like real game designers. I figure I'll let them release their game, and then give them all grades that are inversely related to their download numbers, just so that they'll understand exactly what it's like to work in the game industry. :)

I've been playing EVE Online for around 6 months but the latest expansion "Dominion" has just been deployed. They've made changes to how sovereignty works and played around with some ship fittings so my 2/2 railgun/missile Hookbill is now 3 missiles only.

It's a shame my missiles skills are so poor.

I really shouldn't enjoy this game as much as I do, i've never liked numbers and spreadsheets but there's more to it than just playing the market and there's something addicting about training your character up to lvl 5 in as many skills as possible then directing a huge Fleet into battle or entirely raizing an asteroid belt ( if you're a miner and prefer to do that )

Waiting for Aliens vs Predator 3 in February and hopefully there'll be some further news on Mechwarrior 5

Halo Reach might be a good game.

Fallout 3 is awesome with its diversity especially with the broken steel expantion pack.

Drawn to life do not get. Incredibly stupid story line but still interesting with its concept.

I was hoping for the next tiberium game. And for Fangus Klott. :(

And this one isn't really recent but I think it's good enough and not well known enough to get away with but Chrono Cross. (You won't believe how many people who are looking for the next Chrono Trigger don't know of this game!)

Oh and Red Faction Guerilla. Awesome destruction engine!