Alabama court - "Embryos are people"

StringJunky

Some saner voices are pushing back on this ruling.

(from CNN)

Alabama Attorney General Steve Marshall weighed in on the issue on Friday. Marshall said he “has no intention of using the recent Alabama Supreme Court decision as a basis for prosecuting IVF families or providers,” in a statement from Chief Counsel Katherine Robertson.

(....)

The American Cancer Society and its advocacy affiliate, the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, said in a statement Friday they are deeply concerned about the Alabama Supreme Court ruling’s effect on cancer patients, survivors and their families.

“Some cancer treatments can cause infertility, and cancer patients and survivors often rely on IVF to build families after treatment,” Karen E. Knudsen, CEO of both groups, said in the statement.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/23/us/alabama-ivf-embryos-supreme-court-ruling-legislation/index.html

Just one more reason to assert that religion is the great filter! 

1 minute ago, TheVat said:

Some saner voices are pushing back on this ruling.

(from CNN)

Alabama Attorney General Steve Marshall weighed in on the issue on Friday. Marshall said he “has no intention of using the recent Alabama Supreme Court decision as a basis for prosecuting IVF families or providers,” in a statement from Chief Counsel Katherine Robertson.

Is this the same voices that said that reversal of roe vs wade wouldn't keep women from having an abortion if their lives were in danger?  

3 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Just one more reason to assert that religion is the great filter! 

Is this the same voices that said that reversal of roe vs wade wouldn't keep women from having an abortion if their lives were in danger?  

DK.  Which is why I hedged by saying saner voices.  If some officials are capable of grasping the science that supports that a frozen blastocyst is not sentient, then there is some hope that idiot rulings like the Bama SCt's will not gain legal traction.  Maybe.  I really couldn't say how far a state would go with these kinds of wedges, in order to wage a culture war.

11 hours ago, joigus said:

If you’re pre-birth you’re fine!

And not even that. The same folks are also against affordable pregnancy care. Pregnancy-related mortality is especially high in black women (but also generally in low income groups). If I am honest, I suspect that an exception will be carved out for IVF, as it generally a service for folks who can afford it. 

12 hours ago, MigL said:

In Canada, every once in a while, a conservative MP brings up the abortion issue, but is quickly slapped down by the rest of his/her caucus. There is an 'understanding' where none of the parties, nor the courts, will touch the issue.

The issue is really that it does not seem to be really protected other than certain political realities. There was an understanding in the US that Roe vs Wade was settled law, for example. But it was built on somewhat uncertain legal grounds and you can see what happens with political maneuvering. While it might be political suicide in Canada right now, sentiments and political landscapes could change. I think there is a consensus that decisions should be kept out of courts and remain an issue of health care. That may make sense assuming that folks are sensible. However, in recent times, politics is starting to creep into health care. The issue is on many levels, including the replacement of provincial health care leadership with political figures who have implemented regulations and procedures which the actual providers call bonkers, to put it mildly. As the world seems to be infatuated with being stupid, I would therefore not take prior precedent as a given.

On 2/23/2024 at 8:27 AM, StringJunky said:

From the Alabama chief justice: "Human life, Parker wrote, “cannot be wrongfully destroyed without incurring the wrath of a holy God, who views the destruction of His image as an affront to Himself.” -  AP

What can you say to that?

I'd say god is pretty ugly if it looks like any blastocyst....

50 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

image.png.872c121daca0f00a106fb8fdd128bf7f.png

LOL! When I put the title up, it reminded me of that film. :D For those not familiar, Heston in science fiction film Soylent Green says the food they are eating is made from people.

Edited by StringJunky

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

LOL! When I put the title up, it reminded me of that film. :D For those not familiar, Heston in science fiction film Soylent Green says the food they are eating is made from people.

When you think about it...it's brave of those in Alabama to speak up...with so many remaining soylent!

On 2/26/2024 at 12:08 PM, StringJunky said:

I agree chaps. The topic deserves nothing but derision. Like is often said: you can't make this up.

Well, you can and you would deservedly be mocked for having an idiotic idea. Either that or a career in politics.

On 2/26/2024 at 10:45 AM, npts2020 said:

I'd say god is pretty ugly if it looks like any blastocyst....

..and I would say that your answer is primitive and childish..

On 2/26/2024 at 11:27 AM, J.C.MacSwell said:

Cue Monty Python version of "All things Bright and Beautiful":

..only for the foolish who started everything from the Bible and took it literally..

Such an interpretation is too easy to mock, simply by saying that there was not enough time to create a stone from the bones of, for example, dinosaurs in the "calculated" time of life on Earth..

On 2/26/2024 at 7:08 PM, StringJunky said:

Like is often said: you can't make this up.

..then who made up the Universe.. ? ;)

Edited by Sensei