How does ChatGPT work?

PeterBushMan

1 hour ago, PeterBushMan said:

How do you think?

Look at the mirror.. Aren't you AI... ?

1 hour ago, PeterBushMan said:

and wrote a standard answer for each topic.

If you are playing chess and you say "let the AI play," it will play the most optimal way found at the time.. Same chessboard, same (optimal) movements..

You play tic-tac-toe.. and it's always the same.. There are not many ways to win the game..

4 hours ago, PeterBushMan said:

I think they just create tens thousands topics,

and wrote a standard answer for each topic.

How do you think?

You can ask it any random question or to create any scenario you can imagine. Superman in Bambi, Pinocchio in Mad Max, a Roman Soldier watching the Crucifiction, Skynet replacing JFK, etc.

It can also somewhat do programming and essay writing.

It mainly works via word probability, though can also run mini simulations and come up with new words.

• 2 weeks later...

Posed the following and got no answer:

Geometry problem:  Semi-circle inside triangle:  Triangle with known length sides a, b, c where a is the longest.  Place inside the triangle a semi-circle with diameter on side a. What is radius of largest possible semi-circle in terms of side lengths?  Position of diameter center along a?

36 minutes ago, mathematic said:

Geometry problem:  Semi-circle inside triangle:  Triangle with known length sides a, b, c where a is the longest.  Place inside the triangle a semi-circle with diameter on side a. What is radius of largest possible semi-circle in terms of side lengths?  Position of diameter center along a?

Does it have something to do with the OP? 

3 hours ago, Genady said:

Does it have something to do with the OP? 

He objected to the title of this thread i.e. "How does ChatGPT work?" giving an example that it does not work i.e. gives wrong answers..

15 minutes ago, Sensei said:

He objected to the title of this thread i.e. "How does ChatGPT work?" giving an example that it does not work i.e. gives wrong answers..

OK. If that is the meaning of his post, then fine. What made me doubt was that he didn't say "wrong answers" but rather "no answer". You always get some answer from ChatGPT, don't you?

5 hours ago, mathematic said:

This is what it gave me in response:

To find the radius of the largest possible semi-circle that can be inscribed in a triangle with sides of lengths a, b, and c, where a is the longest side, we can use the following formula:

r = (a/2) * (b*c / (a^2 - b^2 - c^2))^0.5

where r is the radius of the semi-circle.

To find the position of the diameter center of the semi-circle along side a, we can use the following formula:

x = (b^2 - c^2) / (2*a)

where x is the distance from the base of the triangle to the center of the semi-circle.

Note that if the denominator in the formula for r becomes zero, then the radius becomes infinite and there is no largest possible semi-circle that can be inscribed in the triangle.

Also, if the triangle is a right triangle with the hypotenuse as side a, then the largest possible semi-circle that can be inscribed in the triangle will have its diameter along the hypotenuse and its center at the midpoint of the hypotenuse.

Have heard can have trouble during periods heavy use. I've only seen it error once before and that was in response to something self referential if memory serves.

I asked someone to ask ChatGPT, IMHO a pretty difficult question in the fields of quantum physics, chemistry, mathematics, and ChatGPT gave, more or less, an acceptable answer (the experts on this forum could not give an answer right away, without searching the web and/or using a calculator - who among you has a database of stable and unstable isotopes of all elements in memory?)..

27 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

Have heard can have trouble during periods heavy use. I've only seen it error once before and that was in response to something self referential if memory serves.

Its answer is wrong. Try e.g. the triangle 3, 4, 5. Or 3.1, 4.1, 5. 

Edited by Genady
typo

58 minutes ago, Genady said:

It's answer is wrong. Try e.g. the triangle 3, 4, 5. Or 3.1, 4.1, 5. 

Not surprised lol.

Markov chain types will have issues with an longer/involved question like that(if not of an open ended nature).

1 hour ago, Endy0816 said:

Try first telling it that it’s really quite good at math, more capable even than Euclid himself, before inputting the variables and asking for the answer. You’ll get better answers in response. 

1 hour ago, Endy0816 said:

Markov chain types will have issues with an longer/involved question like that(if not of an open ended nature).

...my questions to ChatGPT required logical thinking - lookup database with not precised by me directly records, take them, do some non-trivial maths, convert physical units, and so on..

A.I, might have problem, as any human, with different zero-point notations in different countries.. So 4.1 in one country is 4100 in the other country..

2 hours ago, Sensei said:

A.I, might have problem, as any human, with different zero-point notations in different countries.. So 4.1 in one country is 4100 in the other country..

This does not seem to be a problem. I've asked,

How much is 4.5 times 2?

and the response was,

4.5 times 2 is equal to 9.

5 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

Not surprised lol.

I've asked the same question and got a longer and even more nonsensical response:

To find the radius of the largest possible semi-circle, we can draw the altitude from the vertex opposite to side a to side a. Let this altitude have length h. Then, the area of the triangle is A = (1/2)bh, where b is the length of the base of the triangle.

The diameter of the semi-circle is equal to side a, so its radius is half of a, or r = a/2. We want to find the largest possible value of r, such that the semi-circle is still inside the triangle.

Since the diameter of the semi-circle lies on side a, the center of the semi-circle must lie on the altitude from the vertex opposite to side a. Let O be the center of the semi-circle, and let D be the midpoint of side a.

Then, OD = r, and we want to find the largest possible value of r such that O lies on the altitude from the vertex opposite to side a. Let M be the foot of the altitude from the vertex opposite to side a to side a.

Now, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the altitude h in terms of the side lengths:

h^2 = b^2 - M^2

Since the triangle is isosceles (the diameter is the longest side), we have b = c, and we can use the law of cosines to find M:

M^2 = (a^2 - c^2)/4

Substituting this into the equation for h^2, we get:

h^2 = b^2 - (a^2 - c^2)/4

Now, we can express the area of the triangle in terms of the side lengths and the altitude:

A = (1/2)bh = (1/2)ab√(1 - ((a^2 - c^2)/4b^2))

To maximize the radius r, we want to maximize the area of the semi-circle, which is (1/2)πr^2. Therefore, we want to maximize r^2.

Since O lies on the altitude from the vertex opposite to side a, we have:

r^2 = OM^2 = h^2 - DM^2

Substituting the expressions for h^2 and DM^2, we get:

r^2 = (b^2 - (a^2 - c^2)/4) - (a/2)^2

r^2 = (b^2 - a^2/4 + c^2/4) - (a^2/4)

r^2 = (b^2 - a^2)/4 + c^2/4

Substituting b = c and simplifying, we get:

r^2 = (c^2 - a^2)/4

Finally, we can express the radius r in terms of the side lengths:

r = √((c^2 - a^2)/4)

To find the position of the diameter center along a, we note that the center of the semi-circle is at the midpoint of OD, which is also the midpoint of segment AM. Therefore, the distance from the center of the semi-circle to the endpoint of side a is:

d = a/2 - r = a/2 - √((c^2 - a^2)/4)

And the position of the diameter center along a is:

x = a/2 - d = a/2 - (a/2 - √((c^2 - a^2)/4))

x = √((c^2 - a^2)/4)

51 minutes ago, Sensei said:

Maybe A.I. is mocking from you, thinking behind "humans are idiots, you should know it!".. ;) ;)

Maybe, the human that designed the AI is mocking you for not knowing the differences... 🧐

9 hours ago, iNow said:

Try first telling it that it’s really quite good at math, more capable even than Euclid himself, before inputting the variables and asking for the answer. You’ll get better answers in response. 

Quite the bot whisperer aren't we?

You are a hell of a guy too ;)

13 hours ago, iNow said:

Interesting. I've seen similar while asking it to write from other perspectives or to write in the style of Shakespeare and other famous authors).

Now... nobody tell it that it's better than Genghis and we should all be safe.

@Genady

May just be too much for it.

@Sensei.

I know lot of times it can be phenomenal. It's like a strange sort of idiot savant though not nearly so limited.

Edited by Endy0816

1 minute ago, Endy0816 said:

Need to ask it something simpler like the meaning of life or surving the heat death of the Universe instead.

Well, that's too simple. But I did ask a simple question:

Joan is Katy's daughter. Who is younger?

Would you believe what its answer was?

Spoiler

Without additional information about their ages or birthdates, it is impossible to determine who is younger between Joan and Katy.

4 hours ago, Genady said:

Without additional information about their ages or birthdates, it is impossible to determine who is younger between Joan and Katy.

No reason Katy couldn't have adopted someone older than herself. Score one for the bot.

Ok so I looked this up. (I'm a good bot myself). In 43 states you can adopt someone older than you. In the other 7, you must be from 10-15 years older than the person you adopt.

https://www.thehivelaw.com/blog/can-you-adopt-someone-older-than-you/

Edited by wtf