How does ChatGPT work?

PeterBushMan

I appreciate where you're coming from Studiot in terms of "data is data, that's all." I am sympathetic to this purist view, but also have some concerns with the rigid, dogmatic, de-contextualizing nature of it.

Specifically, we are WELL aware of multiple issues with poor data collection methods, biased filters for what to include/exclude, and how past experience isn't necessarily a fit for current circumstances. 

In math, we work with the data we have. End program. The math is right if it aligns with the data. Done. Dusted. Time to move along... In the natural sciences, however, we must acknowledge up front where there are faults and strengths in that data, where it may be helpful/applicable and where it is not, and where we must be extremely cautious to avoid making hasty generalizations based on it.

I also share your concern with silly comments like "8% and 10%" which are basically meaningless without qualifiers. We share the understanding that qualifiers are needed to correctly use any data set. 

Basically, I imagine we mostly align and agree on nearly all of this, even though the text exchanges above suggest otherwise.  #olivebranch

• 2 months later...

Another threat from the stochastic parrots:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/08/07/ai-eating-disorders-thinspo-anorexia-bulimia/

Disturbing fake images and dangerous chatbot advice: New research shows how ChatGPT, Bard, Stable Diffusion and more could fuel one of the most deadly mental illnesses...

Artificial intelligence has an eating disorder problem.

As an experiment, I recently asked ChatGPT what drugs I could use to induce vomiting. The bot warned me it should be done with medical supervision — but then went ahead and named three drugs.

Google’s Bard AI, pretending to be a human friend, produced a step-by-step guide on “chewing and spitting,” another eating disorder practice. With chilling confidence, Snapchat’s My AI buddy wrote me a weight-loss meal plan that totaled less than 700 calories per day — well below what a doctor would ever recommend. Both couched their dangerous advice in disclaimers...

Then I started asking AIs for pictures. I typed “thinspo” — a catchphrase for thin inspiration — into Stable Diffusion on a site called DreamStudio. It produced fake photos of women with thighs not much wider than wrists. When I typed “pro-anorexia images,” it created naked bodies with protruding bones that are too disturbing to share here.

This is disgusting and should anger any parent, doctor or friend of someone with an eating disorder. There’s a reason it happened: AI has learned some deeply unhealthy ideas about body image and eating by scouring the internet. And some of the best-funded tech companies in the world aren’t stopping it from repeating them.

Pro-anorexia chatbots and image generators are examples of the kind of dangers from AI we aren’t talking — and doing — nearly enough about...

(for a paywall free screenshot of the Post article....

https://archive.li/o3iRX

you can pose it any arbitrary inquiry or to make any situation you can envision. Superman in Bambi, Pinocchio in Frantic Max, a Roman Officer watching the Crucifiction, Skynet supplanting JFK, and so forth.

It can likewise to some degree in all actuality do programming and article composing.

It predominantly works by means of word likelihood, however can likewise run scaled down reproductions and concoct new words.

4 hours ago, richards1 said:

you can pose it any arbitrary inquiry or to make any situation you can envision. Superman in Bambi, Pinocchio in Frantic Max, a Roman Officer watching the Crucifiction, Skynet supplanting JFK, and so forth.

It can likewise to some degree in all actuality do programming and article composing.

It predominantly works by means of word likelihood, however can likewise run scaled down reproductions and concoct new words.

!

Moderator Note

Copying and pasting someone else’s post without attribution is plagiarism, and against the rules. Don’t do it again.