What three wishes.

dimreepr

Imagine you were given 3 wishes, everything within the laws of physics are possible, the wishes have to be specific (you can't just wish for everyone to be happy or rich or etc.).

How could we specify the first two wishes, so we don't have to spend the third cancelling the first two?

It's not as straightforward as it might appear, if looked at scientifically. 

21 minutes ago, mistermack said:

You have to be careful what you wish for. The last person given three wishes wished that his dick would reach the floor, and his legs fell off. 

I thought that's what the OP meant when he said,

12 hours ago, dimreepr said:

so we don't have to spend the third cancelling the first two

11 hours ago, MigL said:

I wish for an unlimited number of wishes

7 hours ago, mistermack said:

You have to be careful what you wish for. The last person given three wishes wished that his dick would reach the floor, and his legs fell off

Imagine, all the times you curse, even under your breath, "god... I wish..." all hell would break loose!

10 hours ago, joigus said:

The gift that keeps on giving

Or the never ending nightmare. 

OK, I guess disney has already covered this questionnaire, how to dodge the consequences and live happily ever after...

But jokes aside, you've got 3 chances to get your own 'happily ever after', whatever that maybe, and each wish has a team of lawyers, from Yin-yang and partners, trying to find a loophole to get the djinn of the hook.

22 hours ago, Genady said:

OK, I'll bite. Wish 1: somebody solves the quantum gravity conundrum.

So what do you think the lawyers would make of that?

Is that your happy ever after? 

2 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

what do you think the lawyers would make of that?

I'm not a lawyer, how would I know? What do you think? I only had an experience with a patent lawyer and with a divorce lawyer. They were reasonable. 

4 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Is that your happy ever after?

The OP didn't mention anything like that. I answered with what I wish would happen, not what would make me happy ever after. Otherwise, I'm quite happy as I am. So, I guess, the wish would be, don't break it.

5 minutes ago, mistermack said:

I wish young women would quit pestering me for sex.

Hey !            I think it's working !!     

I guess your happy, whatever shit you spout; good luck...😉

3 minutes ago, Genady said:

The OP didn't mention anything like that. I answered with what I wish would happen, not what would make me happy ever after. Otherwise, I'm quite happy as I am. So, I guess, the wish would be, don't break it.

I thought it was implied, but I'm happy for you because you're naturally immune to scams. 🙂

I wish that I was financially secure enough to enable me to invest in making things better for people who need help, without having to sacrifice mine or my nearest and dearest's own wellbeing and current standard of living (which is modest and comfortable). 

Then the other 2 wishes can go to those that need them more than I do.  Because I can't think of anything off hand that is possible within the realms of reality I could wish for. Because all my other wishes are fanciful fairy tale ideas not based on reality. 

Though I may change my mind as the thread progresses, I assume this is acceptable by the OP?

I have just thought of one!

I wish that threads on this science forum would not repeatedly turn into personal slanging matches, and that instead people would respect each others views and opinions with politeness, good decorum and dignity.  

Edited by Intoscience
spelling

On 3/31/2023 at 1:25 PM, Intoscience said:

I wish that I was financially secure enough to enable me to invest in making things better for people who need help, without having to sacrifice mine or my nearest and dearest's own wellbeing and current standard of living (which is modest and comfortable). 

The djinn would grant your wish with a lotto win, it covers your dream without impinging your families level of comfort; but the national lottery only has one real winner, the national lottery. Because it's a voluntary tax on the overly optomistic, which harms the very people you seek to help; and even if you win every week, you couldn't help more people than it harm's. Would your second wish put that right?

On 3/31/2023 at 1:25 PM, Intoscience said:

I wish that threads on this science forum would not repeatedly turn into personal slanging matches, and that instead people would respect each others views and opinions with politeness, good decorum and dignity.  

I wish that too, but don't you get angry when your honest opinion is treated with derision?

I'm only human after all...

Edited by dimreepr

I wish the school mass shootings in American, would stop.

I think that would have the djinn stumped, it would have to severely limit gun ownership and the number guns per owner and the number of bullets in the clip, at the very least; and how could that possibly be it be twisted to backfire on the wishee?

Edited by dimreepr

On 3/30/2023 at 7:56 PM, MigL said:

I wish for an unlimited number of wishes.

You are a funny human being...

..but you forgot the way lottery works..

if you wish to win the lottery, and win..

multiplied by millions of times..

9 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I think that would have the djinn stumped, it would have to severely limit gun ownership and the number guns per owner and the number of bullets in the clip, at the very least; and how could that possibly be it be twisted to backfire on the wishee?

The djinn might try and wriggle out of it by making the schools bullet proof and impossible to enter with a gun.

But that's ok, we get 3 goes...

The fact that you all find this question funny, in the general philosophy forum, is very interesting.

I'm not sure what to make of it. 🤔

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

The djinn might try and wriggle out of it by making the schools bullet proof ...

Or by wiping out the humanity. Among many other possibilities.

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

I'm not sure what to make of it. 🤔

You have dismissed my two wishes.

On 4/1/2023 at 2:18 PM, dimreepr said:

The djinn would grant your wish with a lotto win, it covers your dream without impinging your families level of comfort; but the national lottery only has one real winner, the national lottery. Because it's a voluntary tax on the overly optomistic, which harms the very people you seek to help; and even if you win every week, you couldn't help more people than it harm's. Would your second wish put that right?

Then grant me the one winning ticket then end the lottery. I'll then use all the proceeds to help those in need. 

On 4/1/2023 at 2:18 PM, dimreepr said:

I wish that too, but don't you get angry when your honest opinion is treated with derision?

I used to, now I just think oh well its only a science forum where i'm discussing topics with people i'll very unlikely ever meet or who are very unlikely to have any impact on my life other than maybe my own sanity (if I let it). This said, I try to find the benefits of attending such forums, education, and use of language skills are definitely a bonus. I was going to add Knowledge, but can one trust all the knowledge one receives from these places?   

20 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Why only in America and why only shootings? Why not just wish for no murder anywhere across the world?

End all; wars, conflict, murder, bullying, oppression, non-equality... all doable 

1.  The ability to travel to other solar systems and visit the planets there.  To be able to actually land the spacecraft and set foot on these alien worlds.

2.  The ability to end war on Earth. 

3.  My own garden to grow vegetables.

Edited by Alex_Krycek