Validity of the claim that Will Smith "could've killed" Chris Rock

40 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

Not to me. It's for the principal to adjudicate this little schoolyard set-to.

☺️ Reminds me of the time when I was a hairy arse kid around 11, 12 years old, and finally I achieved getting a Coca Cola badge, which was big stuff for kids our age in that period. As knock off time came round I was walking out of the school yard, with my badge proudly displayed and my globite suit case in my hand, when the "school bully" approached me, grabbed the badge off my lapel and threw it up on the church roof. Incensed and upset as I was, I swung my globite suit case at his head, and sent him flying on his arse, with blood seeping from a facial graze. Just at that time the head Brother came out, grabbed both of us, took us inside, separated us and then asked me what happened. I told him exactly as it occured. He gave me a light slap on the back of the head and told me to get home! The bully was interviewed presumably, after I left, and never ever troubled me again. 

51 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

I just don't think bald jokes were ever funny, no matter who is being joked about, so the comparison of one cheap shot with a bunch of other cheap shots doesn't prove anything except that comedians are one of those elements that hold constant: when they can't think of anything witty, they jibe at some vulnerability.   

As I said earlier, there is a time and a place. I enjoy humour, particularly of the old fashion Three Stooges, Groucho Marx type, but you don't go telling jokes about gay people at a gay convention. Or you certainly don't tell the Natalie Wood joke to Robert Wagner.

Will Smith, facing possible expulsion or suspension after he assaulted Chris Rockduring last Sunday’s Oscars telecast, has instead resigned from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences. 

“The list of those I have hurt is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and loved ones, all those in attendance, and global audiences at home,” Smith said. “I betrayed the trust of the Academy. I deprived other nominees and winners of their opportunity to celebrate and be celebrated for their extraordinary work. I am heartbroken.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/smith-resigns-academy-over-chris-224558418.html

54 minutes ago, zapatos said:

At least the man has regrets and apologises for his actions. For that he has my respect. Let's see if Rock likewise, will at least publically regret his actions and lack of discretion. 

Then we can all kiss and make up.

Edited by beecee

Are you guys really claiming Chris Rock'c comparison of Jada P Smith to G I Jane ( Demi Moore ) was a put down ?
Have any of you seen the movie ?
She was one of the hottest women of the 90s, and really rocked that shaved head.
The only other womaan that even came close was Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2, especially when she handled guns.

3 hours ago, MigL said:

comparison of Jada P Smith to G I Jane ( Demi Moore )

He wasn't making a comparison. He was invoking a meme. Very small potatoes as cheap shots go, but certainly not a compliment; merely drawing attention to the most obvious feature. (Baldness, btw, was not Demi Moore's most attractive feature, the head-shaving was just the scene people remember.)

Edited by Peterkin

20 hours ago, dimreepr said:

When I watched the footage, two thing's struck me:

1. Will initially laughed at the joke.

2. Jada decided to take umbridge.

She must have known, that by coming out and wearing that hat with pride, that not everyone will be grown up about it; if she can't take an immature jibe she should have worn a wig.

In my view, she decided to be the victim in order to make her man fight for her, rather than with her.

Much like a child stepped of the path and onto the grass; how strict are you going to be?

And yes, I am being cryptic; sorry if that puzzles you...

I still think it was faked, publicity, any publicity, is good publicity. 

In hindsight the joke was probably in bad taste, I don't believe it was intended as a dig at Jada's condition or to purposefully demean her in anyway. Will's reaction however was totally wrong, so I believe there is a difference.

Nice PR stunt though. 

3 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Here are other examples of "rare" controversial moments with the Oscars. One that comes to mind was giving the wrong presentation. Another from the following link, was with regards to the classic movie, Gone with the Wind......."Actress Hattie McDaniel made film history by becoming the first black American to win an Academy Award, winning for her role as "Mammy" in "Gone With the Wind." While the award was an honor, McDaniel had to face racism and segregation. McDaniel was only allowed into the ceremony upon the intervention of the film's producers. Even then, McDaniel was seated away from the rest of the creative team at a segregated table, making this historic win an example of racism".

or 1973: Marlon Brando declines Best Actor for 'The Godfather'

https://stacker.com/stories/3816/15-controversial-oscar-wins-and-how-theyve-aged

I have yet to ever watch them, other then news items of the event. Bores me teriffically to tears.

Edited by beecee

3 hours ago, Moontanman said:

I don' think it was faked, but I do think that Jada shaving her head, doing the video about the shaven head, and proclaiming to the world that she like the look, and was proud of it, all of that was for publicity for a fading actress, designed to keep her name up there. It's double standards to invite publicity, and then go to pieces when someone comments with a harmless GI Jane joke. 

But as I said before, Jada did nothing, except give a look. It's Will Smith who went to pieces. 

It's pretty pathetic that the victim has to make a compaint, before the police bring a charge. After all, if HAD been killed or injured, they wouldn't need a complaint from him. They certainly wouldn't need his evidence if they DID bring a charge, how could Smith deny it? 

It's lazy policing, and they use that excuse all the time, in open-and-shut cases, "the victim didn't make a complaint". It's fair enough, when there isn't much independent evidence, but where there is no denying it, they should ignore the victim's wishes, for the sake of the NEXT victim. 

In this case, prosecuting Smith would say to the copycats that they will end up in court if they do what he did.

4 hours ago, Intoscience said:

Will's reaction however was totally wrong, so I believe there is a difference.

You don't know what's been going on in his head. He didn't just decide to make a public spectacle of himself and of the wife he was supposedly defending. Something's been struggling to get out for a long time, and this was a trigger moment - a high anxiety, high tension, high adrenaline moment - when the last chain broke. 

It's a nothing event: just another crass remark by a celebrity, just another outburst from a celebrity; neither is rare or special; it's not like this changed anything in the real world. But it happened on a big stage, on a day when people were eager to be distracted from war and the imminent end of the world - welcome fodder for gossip.

Significant for the persons directly involved and nobody else.

44 minutes ago, mistermack said:

That slap will be being repeated all round the world now, especially in school playgrounds

What? You mean the schoolchildren of the entire world have never before seen anyone hit anyone else?

And now that they have discovered the joy of slapping, they will indulge it henceforth?

2 hours ago, Peterkin said:

I agree, depending on how you define "directly involved" (and of course 'significant'). 

Award winners following the slap probably found it significant.

Probably significant for the families of those involved.

The people in charge at the Academy were certainly impacted to a significant extent.

Friends probably found it significant.

The press of course.

I'm sure others too.

1 hour ago, zapatos said:

The press of course.

I'm confident that they will recover without intensive psychotherapy. Odds are, so will the schoolchildren. All the others can probably afford whatever therapy they require.

Oh, come on! It's a teeny-weeny tempest in an overpriced champagne flute.

Edited by Peterkin

25 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

Oh, come on! It's a teeny-weeny tempest in an overpriced champagne flute.

You probably shouldn't be so dismissive of the topic when I post on it if you are going to continue posting on it yourself.

51 minutes ago, zapatos said:

You probably shouldn't be so dismissive of the topic when I post on it if you are going to continue posting on it yourself.

Another instruction? Okay. No judging, no dismissing.

Just thought I'd offer a little solace, but won't do it again. 

Edited by Peterkin

2 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

It's a long thread to look through...

Can anyone tell me if the fact that the slap might have saved him has been considered?
It's possible that such a slap would have pushed him out of the way of a meteorite.

A largish meteorite striking the Oscars ceremony is not the worst thing I can imagine.  I lost respect for the Academy around 1998, when Ed Norton's stellar performance in American History X was passed over and the bald statuette handed to Roberto Benigni for a rather silly bit of acting fluff.  

7 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Not so much for Will...

Maybe, maybe not, we'll have to see how this plays out, it's still disturbing to see Will in that situation with the look of a man who is not all there. 

9 hours ago, beecee said:

Here are other examples of "rare" controversial moments with the Oscars. One that comes to mind was giving the wrong presentation. Another from the following link, was with regards to the classic movie, Gone with the Wind......."Actress Hattie McDaniel made film history by becoming the first black American to win an Academy Award, winning for her role as "Mammy" in "Gone With the Wind." While the award was an honor, McDaniel had to face racism and segregation. McDaniel was only allowed into the ceremony upon the intervention of the film's producers. Even then, McDaniel was seated away from the rest of the creative team at a segregated table, making this historic win an example of racism".

or 1973: Marlon Brando declines Best Actor for 'The Godfather'

https://stacker.com/stories/3816/15-controversial-oscar-wins-and-how-theyve-aged

I have yet to ever watch them, other then news items of the event. Bores me teriffically to tears.

Popularity of the academy awards has fallen off so much in recent years I am sure they would desperately like more publicity. 

On 4/1/2022 at 12:35 AM, zapatos said:

I've wondered if their tumultuous relationship influenced his reaction. 

Besides her cheating on him for years and it all ending up in their „open relationship” which seems to be eating him up from the inside, their kids have been attending Scientology schools since they were 3 years old which is ridiculous.

26 minutes ago, koti said:

Besides her cheating on him for years and it all ending up in their „open relationship” which seems to be eating him up from the inside, their kids have been attending Scientology schools since they were 3 years old which is ridiculous.

I didn't know about the cheating, Will is acting out his horns instead of wearing them well. 

On 4/2/2022 at 2:29 PM, Peterkin said:

You don't know what's been going on in his head. He didn't just decide to make a public spectacle of himself and of the wife he was supposedly defending. Something's been struggling to get out for a long time, and this was a trigger moment - a high anxiety, high tension, high adrenaline moment - when the last chain broke. 

It's a nothing event: just another crass remark by a celebrity, just another outburst from a celebrity; neither is rare or special; it's not like this changed anything in the real world. But it happened on a big stage, on a day when people were eager to be distracted from war and the imminent end of the world - welcome fodder for gossip.

We have all had those moments, I've had plenty of sudden outbursts and regretted them afterwards. Doesn't make them right, that's all I was saying. 

7 hours ago, Intoscience said:

We have all had those moments, I've had plenty of sudden outbursts and regretted them afterwards. Doesn't make them right, that's all I was saying. 

Has anyone said it's "right"? It happens, that's all. And it's not a great big world-altering deal. The guy's apologized and resigned. What more do you want?

16 hours ago, Peterkin said:

Has anyone said it's "right"? It happens, that's all. And it's not a great big world-altering deal. The guy's apologized and resigned. What more do you want?

Personally... I couldn't give a shit, I don't want anything.

I was just saying, as it seems to me some people are focusing on the joke as if to justify Will's actions. It was a crap joke and a bit insensitive, but not so bad it deserved a slap.