Are Swansont/Phi For all etc university science professors/lecturers/scientists?

Jalopy

• Jalopy changed the title to Are Swansont/Phi For all etc university science professors/lecturers/scientists?
!

Moderator Note

Moved from  Speculations to The Lounge.

I'm an entrepreneur resisting retirement who started moderating discussion forums about 18 years ago. I read much more than I post.

swansont is an atomic physicist working with the US Naval Observatory's atomic clocks. I thank him every time GPS works and my phone guides me to my destination.

2 hours ago, Jalopy said:

Just curious.

Who cares? It’s the internet. For all we know, they’re genetically modified kittens who learned to type.

All that matters is WHAT gets posted, not WHO posted it. 

17 minutes ago, iNow said:

Part of the problem is that folks who don't read mainstream science probably won't read what's posted here. The methodology doesn't always seem intuitive. Some folks think it's all guesswork and they just want to toss their two cents in the ring like everybody else.

3 hours ago, Jalopy said:

Just curious.

In case you were curious about me, I make my own pickled onions and once asked a pregnant woman who worked for me if I could have her placenta when she was done with it. I am not, however, a university science professor.

6 minutes ago, zapatos said:

In case you were curious about me, I make my own pickled onions and once asked a pregnant woman who worked for me if I could have her placenta when she was done with it. I am not, however, a university science professor.

Very few university science professors would go to such lengths for the perfect pickled onion, so um, well done. Is the placenta used in the brine, or are you picking the onions in utero?

17 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Very few university science professors would go to such lengths for the perfect pickled onion, so um, well done. Is the placenta used in the brine, or are you picking the onions in utero?

Haha. Didn't mean to connect the two thoughts.

I do go to great lengths for the perfect pickled onion (shallots for the latest batch) but the placenta was for a different reason. My wife was involved in some research that needed to start with a fairly large amount of human tissue and most people don't like to donate a pound of flesh.

2 hours ago, iNow said:

Who cares? It’s the internet. For all we know, they’re genetically modified kittens who learned to type.

Thank you, and I’ll say I worked very hard on teaching them how to type / finding an appropriately sized key board, so it’s nice to have my work recognised.

11 hours ago, Phi for All said:

Very few university science professors would go to such lengths for the perfect pickled onion

The Peter Piper Institute being a notable exception.

12 hours ago, iNow said:

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Internet,_nobody_knows_you're_a_dog#/media/File:Internet_dog.jpg

Internet_dog.jpg.dd31ca7519ac1c63e2212c543360285f.jpg

Are Swansont/Phi For all etc university science professors/lecturers/scientists?

I don't know about Swansont & \( \Phi \) \( \forall \), but ask me anything about etc. ;) 

Edited by joigus

13 hours ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

Thank you, and I’ll say I worked very hard on teaching them how to type / finding an appropriately sized key board, so it’s nice to have my work recognised.

Writing the letters and punctuation on Cheese Nips was a stroke of genius, I must say. 

I can get our cat interested in keyboarding by typing while appearing to be deep in concentration.  Now wondering if a decoy keyboard, composed of cheese nips, would help me sustain a longer train of r5nsdrg4(+nekdrjdjs#9$@@*!%

18 hours ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

You'll have to teach me how you did that.
Every time I lock myself out of the house, my cat just looks at me from inside with disdain, no matter how much I implore her to open the door.

Edited by MigL

On 3/3/2022 at 1:54 PM, MigL said:

Every time I lock myself out of the house, my cat just looks at me from inside with disdain, no matter how much I implore her to open the door.

Assuming you actually locked yourself out. I mean, it is a cat, after all.