Playing to your strengths

imatfaal

charony,

"such as reduction of fundamental research vs applied​"

This is an argument that realistically goes on in every institution, and why most successful companies apply considerable funds to Research and Development.

Our universities are already in the research and development business, and they receive considerable funding from students and alums and business and military and NASA. I am satisfied that good science will still be accomplished, without specifically directed federal funds.

The big federal push under Obama was to concentrate on STEM to stay competitive with the rest of the world. Mostly applied science by the time the rubber met the road, anyway.

Regards, TAR

your average citizen might want to sacrifice to pave the roads, or to gain protection from an enemy or a disease or starvation, or exposure, or even to fly to Mars, but few care about finding a neutrino, or a gravity wave, or the Higgs

We found the Higgs a while back anyway, and things look pretty much the same around my neighborhood as before.

Maybe Iran and North Korea have a better idea as to how to create nuclear weapons, but that would be an argument against nuclear ​physics expenditures, not an argument for.

Edited by tar

Wow !

Koti gets dumped on for making a joke.

( which I got, and found humorous, by the way )\

While sensei is totally off topic and everyone falls all over themselves to agree with him.

Tell me what other superpower during the last 2000 yrs has been as benevolent as the US during the last century ? Assyrians, Phoenicians, Romans, Germanic empires, Napoleonic empires, Hapsburg or USSR ? Or even the British ? No other has helped the rest of the world as much as the US, although at times they have slipped up.

( like when they voted in D Trump )

Wow !
( which I got, and found humorous, by the way )

Thanks MigL, its good to know that at least one person gets what Im saying. I also want to let everybody know that I havent downvoted anyone in this thread. Edited by koti

I might add that I live 12 minutes away from the American border, and have never feared Americans, even now.

Ask the Ukrainians how they feel about the Russians.

Or the Tibetans and Taiwanese about the Chinese.

Or should I go back through history and name all the forgotten small countries that lived beside a 'superpower'.

Edited ( because people at my work are jokers, and add comments when I leave for an emergency )

Edited by MigL

FFS - How many people in a football team? If I make the question simpler do you understand the idea?

Not if you write it badly enough.

I take it you actually meant

"How many people are there in the White House Science Office?"

The trouble is that if you miss bits out, it's impossible to know what you didn't put in.

It could equally have been

"How many people in the White House Science Office are scientists?"

I'm fairly bright, but not psychic- so there's no way I could have known what it was that someone didn't bother to type.

It's not very helpful to try to call me out for someone else's failure.

Not if you write it badly enough.

I take it you actually meant

"How many people are there in the White House Science Office?"

The trouble is that if you miss bits out, it's impossible to know what you didn't put in.

It could equally have been

"How many people in the White House Science Office are scientists?"

I'm fairly bright, but not psychic- so there's no way I could have known what it was that someone didn't bother to type.

I assumed those two possibilities too. I leaned towards the second one (how many are actual scentists) but decided that I will make a joke to try to disarm imatfaal's agrevation (justified regardless of which one is true imo) instead of drilling to ask which one it is. These kinds of contexts work way better when dealt with while speaking live. This ended up weirdly.

I think it's the assumption of laziness that comes across as rather unedifying. Imatfaal perhaps couldn't be bothered to find a list, but i think it safe to assume the grammatical error was just a simple mistake.

Wow !

( which I got, and found humorous, by the way )\

While sensei is totally off topic and everyone falls all over themselves to agree with him.

Tell me what other superpower during the last 2000 yrs has been as benevolent as the US during the last century ? Assyrians, Phoenicians, Romans, Germanic empires, Napoleonic empires, Hapsburg or USSR ? Or even the British ? No other has helped the rest of the world as much as the US, although at times they have slipped up.

( like when they voted in D Trump )

Well, I would add the qualifier of "to its people and allies". It would be kinda disingenuous to entirely dismiss atrocities as slipups. No to mention that attitudes changed over the last centuries (though to be fair, many, though not all, were committed before the US was considered a superpower).

Edited by CharonY

"It was the best of times....it was the worst of times."

The "greatest" moments of one country, can be the "worstest" moments of second country..

I was just asking what times, somebody, DT supporter especially, is considering as the "greatest".

Nationalist typically will mention win in war, win in some battle..

ps. MigL has point, it's off-topic..

ps2. Imatfaal question can be rephrased (if I understand intentions correctly) as "why nobody competent (with Nobel prize especially) does not want to work in White House together with Donald Trump?"..

Edited by Sensei

The "greatest" moments of one country, can the "worstest" moments of second country..

I was just asking what times, somebody, DT supporter especially, is considering as the "greatest".

Nationalist typically will mention win in war, win in some battle..

ps. MigL has point, it's off-topic..

ps2. Imatfaal question can be rephrased (if I understand intentions correctly) as "why nobody competent (with Nobel prize especially) does not want to work in White House together with Donald Trump?"..

I thought your downvoted post was fair comment, Not because USA is/was great or not great but because it is far too nuanced (and important) to come down on one side or the other.

Clearly it is used as a political slogan but it is also important to explore the truth or lies connected with it.

As a primus inter pares it is vital for the world that the US should be and act as good as it is able (not easy but it is only the difficulty that makes it worth achieving)

It was one of the (few)disagreements I had with Obama ,his ease of accepting and claiming American exceptionalism..

Only America's situation is really exceptional . It's responses to circumstances are its own only and cannot easily be judged against what other nations might have done in its place.

It feels to me that Trump's election was a turning point for the US and I have little idea what will happen now.

Edited by geordief

And that's the whole problem of nationalism, patriotism. It's based on lies..

What is the greatest moment of country XXX... ? When they win the battle in YYY year, and killed ZZZ opponent army...

And remembrance of it, is resurrected over and over again, after centuries, or millenniums..

USA were Great, because they were developing science. It was good thing when people with science were winners. I don't think Trump understands it, but you should.

Edited by DimaMazin