Donald Trump

dimreepr

We know Trump has his faults. Is one of them the wish to not confront reality?

Or is it simply that he would like to present reality in a way that serves his interest?

Does he really believe that the US agencies which have judged Russia responsible for this hacking have misinterpreted their information or have adopted a biased approach?

Or is he being completely cynical or ,God forbid hiding his own involvement ?

Why has he taken so long to apprise himself of their findings?

Nobody "wants" to confront an unpleasant reality, especially someone like Trump who is high on the scale of narcissism.

Certainly Trump wants to "present reality in a way that serves his interest", that is human nature.

It is hard to believe that he really doubts the consensus of all US security agencies, but he will do everything he can to cast doubt upon those agencies, as well as the "crooked media" simply because he is embarrassed by them.

Yes, he is "completely cynical" which is consistent with his narcissistic personality disorder (NPD).

He has "taken so long to apprise himself of their findings" because their findings are embarrassing.

The answer to your questions are yes to "all the above" IMO.

"...The latest, fifth, edition (2013) of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) -- the classificatory bible of psychology in North America -- has done an excellent job of revamping the definition of NPD by introducing a dimensional description of the disorder. But, the diagnostic criteria from the previous, fourth, edition of the DSM are more accessible to laymen. So, here they are, updated with the latest knowledge we have about this pernicious disorder. You can easily see T R U M P writ large in each and every one of the nine criteria.

"The narcissist ...

• Feels grandiose and self-important (e.g., exaggerates accomplishments, talents, skills, contacts, and personality traits to the point of lying, demands to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
  • Is obsessed with fantasies of unlimited success, fame, fearsome power or omnipotence, unequaled brilliance (the cerebral narcissist), bodily beauty or sexual performance (the somatic narcissist), or ideal, everlasting, all-conquering love or passion
  • Firmly convinced that he or she is unique and, being special, can only be understood by, should only be treated by, or associate with, other special or unique, or high-status people (or institutions)
  • Requires excessive admiration, adulation, attention and affirmation – or, failing that, wishes to be feared and to be notorious (Narcissistic Supply)
  • Feels entitled. Demands automatic and full compliance with his or her unreasonable expectations for special and favorable priority treatment
  • Is "interpersonally exploitative," i.e., uses others to achieve his or her own ends
  • Devoid of empathy. Is unable or unwilling to identify with, acknowledge, or accept the feelings, needs, preferences, priorities, and choices of others
  • Constantly envious of others and seeks to hurt or destroy the objects of his or her frustration. Suffers from persecutory (paranoid) delusions as he or she believes that they feel the same about him or her and are likely to act similarly
  • Behaves arrogantly and haughtily. Feels superior, omnipotent, omniscient, invincible, immune, "above the law," and omnipresent (magical thinking). Rages when frustrated, contradicted, or confronted by people he or she considers inferior to him or her and unworthy..."

​"...You just have to look at Trump's business history to extrapolate America's future under a President Trump. Narcissists are unstable and go through repeated cycles of self-destruction (with other people usually paying the heft of the price). Narcissists tend to be divisive, vindictive, confrontational, aggressive, hate-filled, raging, incoherent, judgment-impaired, and irrational. Narcissists are junkies: they are addicted to attention ("Narcissistic Supply") and will go to any extreme to secure it. Narcissists are liars, confabulators, and miserable failures (although some of them, like Trump, are geniuses at disguising the fact that they are, in fact, losers)...."

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/03/donald_trump_and_narcissistic_personality_disorder_an_interview_with_sam_vaknin.html#ixzz4ULWasCci

Edited by Airbrush

I'm looking for a transcript or recording of exactly what Julian Assange said about Russian involvement in the breaches/leaks. I can only find media-mediated reports from the likes of Fox News etc. I wish wikileaks would release their own statement instead of going through news agencies, but that might go against their promise of anonymity.

Apparently Julian Assange did the interview on Fox News.... Fox News. Would nobody host the interview except Fox, or did they just offer him the most payment?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2017/01/05/julian-assanges-claim-that-there-was-no-russian-involvement-in-wikileaks-emails/?utm_term=.246b838c5c3f

edit...

Oh my. Is Wikileaks no longer unbiased? Are they antisemitic? I thought they revealed antisemitism within the DNC!! http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/07/25/what_wikileaks_might_have_meant_by_that_anti_semitic_tweet.html

edit...

At least Julian Assange denied what was only hear-say accusations of antisemitic comments.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/mar/01/julian-assange-jewish-conspiracy-comments

On a related note, the United Nations recently ruled that Assange was arbitrarily detained (for alleged sexual assault) by the Swedish government and United Kingdom. http://ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=17013&LangID=E

edit...

I digress. I think Hannity is ambiguous when he asks about "get[ting] the information from Russia", but Assange explicitly states that their source was not the Russian government.

Edited by MonDie

It's over.

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/06/508562183/biden-to-democrats-objecting-to-electoral-college-results-it-is-over

Democratic Rep. Jim McGovern of Massachusetts was the first to rise. Amid grumbling from other members, Vice President Biden, who presided in his role as president of the Senate, gaveled the body to order. He noted that any objection must be in writing, signed by a member of the House and a member of the Senate.
He asked McGovern if he had fulfilled all three. McGovern admitted the objection was not signed by a member of the Senate, and Biden threw it out.
"In that case the objection cannot be entertained," Biden said, and Republicans stood and cheered.
Jamie Raskin of Maryland interrupted later. Biden cut him off, read the requirements again and asked if his objection was signed by a member of the Senate. Raskin, too, admitted it was not. This went on with others.
Biden grew increasingly curt. At times, Republican House Speaker Paul Ryan could be seen laughing behind him.
"It is over," Biden chided.

I've been waiting for your return and reply. What is your answer? As you may not recall or care, I asked the following:

Why are you a supporter of Mr. Trump and how does his approach to governance, given his cabinet choices, specifically reflect or support your interests? Do you sincerely believe that a president-elect should be skipping any intelligence briefings before being sworn to office? It's my understanding that even Obama took every briefing offered before taking his oath of office. Why isn't Donald's refusal an issue with you? Do you think a person who set-up and managed a shell corporation for Russian should be our Secretary of State? Do you honestly believe as Mr. Trump that the Russians did not interfere in our elections? I'm most interested in your answer to the initial questions of whether you believe the president-elect truly represents you.

Is there an answer or will you disappear from this discussion for another month?

Here is the video of Paul Ryan laughing. Makes my day.

http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2017/01/06/6363616110537453933/640x360_MP4_6363616110537453933.mp4

I've been waiting for your return and reply. What is your answer? As you may not recall or care, I asked the following:

Is there an answer or will you disappear from this discussion for another month?

Disappear? Well I hate to break it to you but I have a wonderful and fulling life. Work, family events, holidays fill my days. Take work for example. The end of quarter is always a busy time with lots of deadlines. Family events included snow skiing, snow shoeing, snowmobiling, and a wedding. Holidays included Christmas and New years. I participate in Science Forums primarily for fun. When other more interesting things come up I reduce or suspend my participation. When I come back I generally don't look back through pages of posts, many of which are stale, including my own, and respond to things which are now irrelevant to the current meandering of the conversation. Since you are still interested in a response, here goes.

Q: Why are you a supporter of Mr. Trump and how does his approach to governance, given his cabinet choices,specifically reflect or support your interests?

I'm a supporter of Mr. Trump because he ran on the Republican ticket and I am a Republican. I'm a supporter because he ran against Hillary Clinton, a corrupt politician who's is admired by her supporters for getting away with corruption. I'm a supporter because he is not a career politician, but a successful business businessperson. I really don't like politicians so Trump is a breath of fresh air. Finally I really think he want's to make America great again.

Q: Do you sincerely believe that a president-elect should be skipping any intelligence briefings before being sworn to office?

I think it is irrelevant. Obama is president until January 20. Trump still has 14 days to catch up on the minor changes to these intelligence briefings in the next 14 days. Currently I understand that setting up his cabinet is more important. It's hard for a president to take action against intelligence activities without a cabinet.

Q: It's my understanding that even Obama took every briefing offered before taking his oath of office. Why isn't Donald's refusal an issue with you?

See above.

Q: Do you think a person who set-up and managed a shell corporation for Russian should be our Secretary of State?

Did he commit any crime, particularly at the felony level? No. Also, as I have said, I love Exxon. They put a tiger in my tank.

Q: Do you honestly believe as Mr. Trump that the Russians did not interfere in our elections?

No, I do not believe the Russians interfered with our elections. Sure they exposed Hillary Clinton and the Democratic party for who they really are which I'm sure influenced many people, but influencing is not interfering, particularly when the information provided was truthful. In fact I appreciated the information.

Q: I'm most interested in your answer to the initial questions of whether you believe the president-elect truly represents you.

Absolutely. You see Democrats, Liberals, Progressives, or whatever they are calling themselves these days believe that the primary source of societal improvement government. Nothing could be further from the founding ideals of the United States. The primary source of societal improvement is cultural. Individuals choosing to treat each other with respect and kindness while striving to improve themselves and their families. No laws required or government programs needed. While that is idealistic, it is the best way to culturally promote true liberty. When individuals fail in meeting our national ideals, we have law and order. Commit felonies and you are incarcerated. Don't commit felonies and you are free to do as you please. That reminds me of another reason I like Trump. He has no respect for identity politics. Here in the US, we should have one identity, American. You know. We call it the melting pot. It is our national motto. E pluribus unum.

By the way, you are much more likely to receive responses if you ask fewer questions.

Here is the video of Paul Ryan laughing. Makes my day.

http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2017/01/06/6363616110537453933/640x360_MP4_6363616110537453933.mp4

Disappear? Well I hate to break it to you but I have a wonderful and fulling life. Work, family events, holidays fill my days. Take work for example. The end of quarter is always a busy time with lots of deadlines. Family events included snow skiing, snow shoeing, snowmobiling, and a wedding. Holidays included Christmas and New years. I participate in Science Forums primarily for fun. When other more interesting things come up I reduce or suspend my participation. When I come back I generally don't look back through pages of posts, many of which are stale, including my own, and respond to things which are now irrelevant to the current meandering of the conversation. Since you are still interested in a response, here goes.

Welcome back, hope you enjoyed your holiday as much as I did mine.

I'm a supporter of Mr. Trump because he ran on the Republican ticket and I am a Republican. I'm a supporter because he ran against Hillary Clinton, a corrupt politician who's is admired by her supporters for getting away with corruption. I'm a supporter because he is not a career politician, but a successful business businessperson. I really don't like politicians so Trump is a breath of fresh air. Finally I really think he want's to make America great again.

Your allegiance to the Republican party is admirable. The election might have ended differently if Democrats were similarly devoted. I'm not trying to rehash the Clinton corruption debate but we both know that there is no evidence that her behavior in anyway harmed our nation and its citizens; however, there is evidence that your successful businessperson (Mr. Trump) has engaged behaviors that have insulted women and minorities and committed acts in business that led to several bankruptcies depriving vendors of fair payment and employees of fair wages.

Although you may not like politicians, you should know that when Mr. Trump entered the election he became a politician; therefore, Mr. Trump has become something you don't like and will inevitably demonstrate that quality to your satisfaction during his tenure as President.

Finally, what wasn't great about America before Donald coined that phase? Presumably, you were secure in your job and home, our stock market and employment had recovered from economic depression, a majority of our soldiers are no longer engaged in combat, and there are more people with healthcare than ever before. So, what wasn't great about America other than its political process?

I think it is irrelevant. Obama is president until January 20. Trump still has 14 days to catch up on the minor changes to these intelligence briefings in the next 14 days. Currently I understand that setting up his cabinet is more important. It's hard for a president to take action against intelligence activities without a cabinet.

So, it's ok for an incoming President to play catch-up with our nation's security than be prepared from day 1? That doesn't seem to be very Republican to me--however, not being a Republican myself, I guess I really wouldn't know.

Did he commit any crime, particularly at the felony level? No. Also, as I have said, I love Exxon. They put a tiger in my tank.

So, you believe that Donald's nomination of a Russian crony is "draining the swamp"? Can you genuinely say that you wouldn't feel differently if Clinton had been elected and then appointed a man of similar background to Secretary of State?

No, I do not believe the Russians interfered with our elections. Sure they exposed Hillary Clinton and the Democratic party for who they really are which I'm sure influenced many people, but influencing is not interfering, particularly when the information provided was truthful. In fact I appreciated the information.

So, you don't believe the published opinion of 13 intelligence agencies either? That's got to be the most disingenuous comment you've made thus far in this discussion. Furthermore, "influencing is not interfering"...are you trolling me?

Absolutely. You see Democrats, Liberals, Progressives, or whatever they are calling themselves these days believe that the primary source of societal improvement government. Nothing could be further from the founding ideals of the United States. The primary source of societal improvement is cultural. Individuals choosing to treat each other with respect and kindness while striving to improve themselves and their families. No laws required or government programs needed. While that is idealistic, it is the best way to culturally promote true liberty. When individuals fail in meeting our national ideals, we have law and order. Commit felonies and you are incarcerated. Don't commit felonies and you are free to do as you please. That reminds me of another reason I like Trump. He has no respect for identity politics. Here in the US, we should have one identity, American. You know. We call it the melting pot. It is our national motto. E pluribus unum.

I think this addresses what you believe is not so great about America, which appears to involve the way our government has helped and supported its citizenry. You appear to be of a mind that Americans have become too dependent on government. Perhaps so, but that dependency instills confidence among our citizenry, which promotes the stability we all enjoy--stability that now stands on the precipice of being undone by Wall Street oriented, socially insensitive policies.

Edited by DrmDoc

That reminds me of another reason I like Trump. He has no respect for identity politics. Here in the US, we should have one identity, American. You know. We call it the melting pot. It is our national motto. E pluribus unum.

Whilst angrily and divisively identifying as Republican. Everyone else be damned.

The height of irony and epitome of ignorance.

I don't know where this originated, but it seems relevant:

"The 15 Warnings Signs of Impending Tyranny
MONDAY, JANUARY 2, 2017
As tyrants take control of democracies, they typically:

1. Exaggerate their mandate to govern – claiming, for example, that they won an election by a landslide even after losing the popular vote.

2. Repeatedly claim massive voter fraud in the absence of any evidence, in order to restrict voting in subsequent elections.

3. Call anyone who opposes them “enemies.”

4. Turn the public against journalists or media outlets that criticize them, calling them “deceitful” and “scum.”

5. Hold few if any press conferences, preferring to communicate with the public directly through mass rallies and unfiltered statements.

6. Tell the public big lies, causing them to doubt the truth and to believe fictions that support the tyrants’ goals.

7. Blame economic stresses on immigrants or racial or religious minorities, and foment public bias and even violence against them.

8. Attribute acts of domestic violence to “enemies within,” and use such events as excuses to beef up internal security and limit civil liberties.

9. Threaten mass deportations, registries of religious minorities, and the banning of refugees.

10. Seek to eliminate or reduce the influence of competing centers of power, such as labor unions and opposition parties.

11. Appoint family members to high positions of authority

12. Surround themselves with their own personal security force rather than a security detail accountable to the public.

13. Put generals into top civilian posts

14. Make personal alliances with foreign dictators.

15. Draw no distinction between personal property and public property, profiteering from their public office."

So, it's ok for an incoming President to play catch-up with our nation's security than be prepared from day 1? That doesn't seem to be very Republican to me--however, not being a Republican myself, I guess I really wouldn't know.

As of today, Trump now has 12 days to be prepared from day 1. The inauguration isn't until January 20. January 20 is day one.

Whilst angrily and divisively identifying as Republican. Everyone else be damned.

The height of irony and epitome of ignorance.

Perhaps you don't know the definition of "identity politics."

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/identity_politics

identity politics
PLURAL NOUN
  • [treated as singular or plural] A tendency for people of a particular religion, race, social background, etc., to form exclusive political alliances, moving away from traditional broad-based party politics.

Edited by waitforufo

As you've advised, I have just one question. Which "traditional broad-based party politics" are the Republicans, led by Donald Trump, moving from? Their efforts--thereby representative of your mandate--to undermine congressional ethics, to appoint Russian and Wall Street cronies and lobbyists to cabinet posts, and to disenfranchise the healthcare and social programs relied upon by millions of Americans appear to be in the same Republican vein of traditional broad-based politics.

As you've advised, I have just one question. Which "traditional broad-based party politics" are the Republicans, led by Donald Trump, moving from? Their efforts--thereby representative of your mandate--to undermine congressional ethics, to appoint Russian and Wall Street cronies and lobbyists to cabinet posts, and to disenfranchise the healthcare and social programs relied upon by millions of Americans appear to be in the same Republican vein of traditional broad-based politics.

Identity politics is more like card carrying union, rust belt middle class white americans voting for Trump, despite being more closely aligned with Democratic party in previous elections.

Identity politics is more like card carrying union, rust belt middle class white americans voting for Trump, despite being more closely aligned with Democratic party in previous elections.

Given his seemingly anti-union and workers class business record, wasn't voting for Trump like shooting oneself in the foot? In other words, given your example, isn't identity politics like sheep identifying with or be led by wolves? You know, like in Orwell's Animal Farm with the only different being pigs instead of wolves.

• 2 weeks later...

Donald Trump – president of the US of A, I’m not American but, even so, how scared should I be? And how many of his BS non sequiturs would get through congress?

You're not American and are taking the media's word for what he has said? Case closed.

You're not American and are taking the media's word for what he has said? Case closed.

Whose word should we take, given that primary sources have failed to instill trust? All one has to do is compare what he tells people when he's trying to get their vote, and what he actually does once he's got it. He and his camp have admitted to making certain wild promises just to get votes. Case closed.

Whose word should we take, given that primary sources have failed to instill trust? All one has to do is compare what he tells people when he's trying to get their vote, and what he actually does once he's got it. He and his camp have admitted to making certain wild promises just to get votes. Case closed.

Trump will be the President. If the President says the New York Times, CNN, CBS, or whomever can't be trusted than where is one to get information? It creates a state where reality isn't something mutually shared any longer. I live in Washington but don't attend govt breifings, eat lunch with my congress rep, and etc. I need to be able to trust media to an extand to know what is happening. Everyone does.

Trump will be the President. If the President says the New York Times, CNN, CBS, or whomever can't be trusted than where is one to get information? It creates a state where reality isn't something mutually shared any longer. I live in Washington but don't attend govt breifings, eat lunch with my congress rep, and etc. I need to be able to trust media to an extand to know what is happening. Everyone does.

When we take back control of our country from Putin, this needs to be in the new Constitution. There must be sources of uncompromised information regarding pertinent events made available to every citizen for national security purposes. In this modern age, we can easily see the necessity.

It will be interesting to see how long Putin is allowed to remain POTUS. I fear the wealthy will sell out America and Lady Liberty after being sheltered so long by her. Converting dollars to rubles isn't that hard for many of them.

To play advocate Phi - I would say that not ALL info should be released about everything. In the name of national security and protection for those in office I would think that the government should be allowed to block certain infomations if they have concerns.. Maybe...

When we take back control of our country from Putin, this needs to be in the new Constitution. There must be sources of uncompromised information regarding pertinent events made available to every citizen for national security purposes. In this modern age, we can easily see the necessity.

It will be interesting to see how long Putin is allowed to remain POTUS. I fear the wealthy will sell out America and Lady Liberty after being sheltered so long by her. Converting dollars to rubles isn't that hard for many of them.

Come on Phi, The Donald would never fall into a honey-trap, Putin's got nothing on him. :ph34r::unsure::rolleyes:

Edited by dimreepr

To play advocate Phi - I would say that not ALL info should be released about everything. In the name of national security and protection for those in office I would think that the government should be allowed to block certain infomations if they have concerns.. Maybe...

That's why I used the word "pertinent". In the early days of television, the US enforced an hour/day devoted to pertinent news Americans needed to know, as part of the charter letting them use those frequencies. It worked fairly well until the laws were eroded and undermined by both Reagan and Bill Clinton. Now there is very little stopping them from informing us of only those things the corporations that own them want us to know. Putin is withholding access to reporters (not journalists) who criticizes him, so it won't be long before he has them trained just like he does in Russia.

One major problem I see is that no standard is identified to hold one accountable to. Everything is reflexive. Media waits for things to happen and than discusses the pros and cons. Having a PEOTUS whom has willfully cooperates with a foriegn govt to the benefit of that govt at the belittlement of the people of the U.S., violates federal neputism policy, staff has violated the Logan Act, has nurmerous conflicts of interest, and a Congress unwilling to enforce the law against their own are clearly all things a responsible media has an obligation to soberly report on with more clarity than a pro/con dicusssion panel of partisan pundits. Just because Trump says the Intelligence is wrong doesn't mean his loose unsupported claims deserve equal time yet they get it plus some.

It seems the GOP has decided allowing Putin to manipulate our politics is okay so longs as it benefits them. How long the rest of the country tolerates it is anyones guess.

Come on Phi, The Donald would never fall into a honey-trap, Putin's got nothing on him. :ph34r::unsure::rolleyes:

It is scary. It seems to me (most people) that Putin is a more thought out and intelligent person than is Donald Trump. I don't believe anyone understand why Putin favors Trump. Many have reasonable speculations but the realities no one know for sure but Putin himself. The media is so caught up in the Trump created narrative of maybe/maybe not that why simple isn't explored enough. Hillary Clinton was polling to win. The majority of people whose job it is to predict these things believed Hillary Clinton would win. Putin was taking a large risk. Such a large risk taken by such a well thought out person implies that something was either known which mitigated the risk or something worth the risk was available to be gained. Either way it's bad for us.

It seems the GOP has decided allowing Putin to manipulate our politics is okay so longs as it benefits them. How long the rest of the country tolerates it is anyones guess.

It shows how creepy money can make some people. I'm absolutely blown away that Eisenhower's party has gotten in bed with a dictator who so emulates (and admires) WWII Western Axis leadership and their tactics. And screw that whole "Red Scare" bs argument. Putin isn't the USSR of the 50s. Standing against Putin the Thug, Putin the Dictator, isn't standing against communism.