TFG or That Florida Guy? Either way, can the GOP win in 2024?

Phi for All

11 hours ago, LaurieAG said:

Although biased polls might possibly influence the vote of some of those who aren't too bright.

Really going out on a limb with your predictions there. 

Do these dim voters vote WITH the majority or AGAINST the majority as seen in the biased polls.

Are dim people similarly affected by NON-biased polls?

On 3/4/2024 at 10:58 PM, iNow said:

I have family who feels Fox is too liberal and shown insufficient fealty to Trump and so have switched over to OAN and Newsmax in the same way they left more common social media like FB and Twitter instead for Parlor then Truth social. TikTok and the like then amplifies the issue, both algorithmically and with hints of active meddling from various nefarious undemocratic actors. 

Blimey! Do they polish their sidecars on a Sunday afternoon, then? 😄

image.png.84d7748e5bb34f505a88875494a22f72.png

12 hours ago, LaurieAG said:

Although biased polls might possibly influence the vote of some of those who aren't too bright.

If the choice were between a guarantee of 'getting into heaven' or winning an election what do you think Trumps choice would be? ;)

Good point. He can always run against God later...assuming God doesn't do the right thing and abdicate in his favour...

With Haley out I guess it's down to a rematch between Biden and Trump.

Clearly again the two best choices in the U.S. population of 300+ million to run America.

No one else even close...

America has spoken...at least some Americans in some States.

23 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Clearly again the two best choices in the U.S. population of 300+ million to run America.

I imagine any selected candidate in any election in any country will be the "best" only by chance. The electorate does not vet its candidates, much less the entire population. Candidates self-choose and the electorate gets to decide who of those who stepped up they like the most, or dislike the least.

1 hour ago, zapatos said:

I imagine any selected candidate in any election in any country will be the "best" only by chance. The electorate does not vet its candidates, much less the entire population. Candidates self-choose and the electorate gets to decide who of those who stepped up they like the most, or dislike the least.

Don't mind me. I thought we were done with Trump after the crap he pulled after the last election. Apparently not.

Old Joe may be holding it together better than expected, or not...depending on your expectations...but he's not getting any younger.

We are much to close to a return of Trump.

It's like watching a train wreck.

44 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Don't mind me. I thought we were done with Trump after the crap he pulled after the last election. Apparently not.

Old Joe may be holding it together better than expected, or not...depending on your expectations...but he's not getting any younger.

It gives me heartburn. And Trump is only the half of it. The other part is that it turns out half my neighbors think like he does. And it's not even the politics that bother me so much since I can accept policies that are not to my liking. It is the fact that by most measures he is a despicable human being, and half of my fellow Americans find that acceptable. I honestly didn't know that so many people could be like that.

I don't read much political news anymore beyond the headlines. It is too much like watching your neighbors cheer for those who sponsor dog fighting or human trafficking. It's just kind of depressing.

Edited by zapatos

2 hours ago, zapatos said:

It gives me heartburn. And Trump is only the half of it. The other part is that it turns out half my neighbors think like he does. And it's not even the politics that bother me so much since I can accept policies that are not to my liking. It is the fact that by most measures he is a despicable human being, and half of my fellow Americans find that acceptable. I honestly didn't know that so many people could be like that.

I don't read much political news anymore beyond the headlines. It is too much like watching your neighbors cheer for those who sponsor dog fighting or human trafficking. It's just kind of depressing.

When you put it that way I feel a little more fortunate. Very few around me have much good to say about Trump.

11 hours ago, exchemist said:

Blimey! Do they polish their sidecars on a Sunday afternoon, then? 

One is a sibling who is a lawyer

5 hours ago, zapatos said:

and half of my fellow Americans find that acceptable

Closer to 30%, but your core point resonates deeply within me, too 

6 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

This is the future if the orange one with the luxurious bouffant wins.

Edited by StringJunky

10 hours ago, StringJunky said:

This is the future if the orange one with the luxurious bouffant wins.

He promises to shift major resources over to immigration control, including the largest domestic deportation in history. 

He promises to close the Dept of Education and give control over to individual states re teaching children. This will include putting prayer back into the classrooms.

He promises to remove the Affordable Care Act, and replace it with a much better plan which he's never revealed before. 

He promises to cut all spending on gender affirming care, calling it "child mutilation". He also wants provisions to prosecute doctors who have EVER been involved in gender affirming care.

He also promises to kill all efforts at producing electric cars, replacing the technology with flying cars that feature vertical takeoff.

And he promises to put a 60% tariff on goods from China, because apparently everyone has forgotten the damaging costs of his last tariffs. 

And he wants every American to carry a concealed weapon, probably because we'll need more slave prison workers if we're going to deport all the immigrants. Best way to fill the jails is to increase the number of guns on the street.

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

And he wants every American to carry a concealed weapon, probably because we'll need more slave prison workers if we're going to deport all the immigrants. Best way to fill the jails is to increase the number of guns on the street.

Oh I think he only wants certain folks as slave labour. I would have made a job about folks with names he cannot spell, but considering his failures to spell his wife's name (or his own), not sure whether it would have worked.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the GOP CAN win in 2024.  The Trump Cult works!

"The people following Trump see him as a king Cyrus figure, not a prophet.  He is a sinful king that God supposedly uses.  Putin is at the top of puppeteers of the Cult of Trump.  Trump is a weapon of a foreign adversary to usurp America.  Putin has an agenda.  The Soviet Union fell and Putin is committed to helping America fall.  Putin has used religious right activists at great psychological advantage because of our ignorance of the fact that psychological warfare is being waged on us.  Michael Flynn and Steve Bannon are part of this.  It is warfare aimed at causing confusion, uncertainty, doubt, overwhelming people, attacking experts, attacking science, attacking institutions.  Because if you disorient people enough, they are going to be responsive to certainty of an authority figure who says “Trust me, I’m going to make America great again.”

Edited by Airbrush

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

ALL the polls show Trump beating Biden in 2024, however a close race.  Get ready for a Trump presidency. 😟

2024 Presidential Election Polls: Biden vs. Trump - 270toWin

“This page displays the current 270toWin Polling Average for each state”

Average does not imply all

Several national polls have Biden ahead

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/2024/national/

Also: it’s March

In March 2016 there were polls that had Clinton over Trump by 10 points or more

And: polls are not votes.

5 minutes ago, swansont said:

“This page displays the current 270toWin Polling Average for each state”

Average does not imply all

Several national polls have Biden ahead

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/2024/national/

Also: it’s March

In March 2016 there were polls that had Clinton over Trump by 10 points or more

And: polls are not votes.

Thanks, I needed that.

Marilyn Lands’ victory in Alabama should also paint a picture. I expect the polling numbers to skew toward Biden once the campaign ramps up the ads showing TFG’s support for overturning Roe and the GOP’s plans make it national, and to get rid of IVF and contraception.

People supporting Trump just need to direct all funding to Kennedy (and/or Jill Stein and/or Cornell West). Much higher ROI than giving Trump more money for lawyer fees and gold sneakers.

Every vote those also-rans siphon off at the polls is another dagger reducing Bidens chances of helping us avoid the arrival of a fascist self-serving Justice department weaponizing grievance machine that pushes the global balance of power even more toward the violent autocrats. 

On 3/7/2024 at 2:22 AM, zapatos said:

Really going out on a limb with your predictions there. 

Do these dim voters vote WITH the majority or AGAINST the majority as seen in the biased polls.

Are dim people similarly affected by NON-biased polls?

You tell me.

In Australia the current federal government has replaced the head of the Australian Broadcasting Commission with an ex NEWSCORP boss to ensure that their journalists are impartial. Note that the channel bringing this news (below) is just as impartial as the ABC and no different from the partisanship of US media. 

ABC CEO

On 3/28/2024 at 1:41 AM, LaurieAG said:

In Australia the current federal government has replaced the head of the Australian Broadcasting Commission with an ex NEWSCORP boss to ensure that their journalists are impartial.

Wow. A bit like appointing a fox to head the henhouse department of health.  

This sort of thing is why I favor noncorporate controlled outlets like The Guardian or NPR.  

• 3 weeks later...

Poland may offer a lesson to would-be Far Right autocrats.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/04/14/abortion-poland-maga/

The United States is not alone in confronting a right-wing authoritarian movement that, in addition to undermining democratic institutions and lashing out at the news media (“enemy of the people”), makes curtailing women’s reproductive freedom central to its agenda. The experience of Poland, in which a right-wing government virtually eliminated access to abortion and later paid for it at the ballot box, is instructive as Republicans try to flee from the harsh implications of their antiabortion ideology....

...Polish voters last year threw out the right-wing government after eight years of authoritarian rule. Women disproportionately carried pro-democracy forces to victory. “Almost 75% of eligible women voted — a 12% increase over 2019,” wrote political scientist Patrice McMahon for the Conversation. “The election also saw a record number of female candidates (44%) and the largest percentage of women (30%) voted into Poland’s Sejm.”

Their activism largely centered on abortion. When the right-wing Law and Justice party (PiS) took office in 2015, McMahon wrote, “Poland had one of the strictest abortion laws in Europe. After the ruling government tightened abortion restrictions further, Polish women took to the streets.” Lo and behold, “A breakdown of the women’s vote finds that many women voted for leftist and centrist parties that made women’s rights and liberalized abortion laws a priority.” The democratic coalition leader Prime Minister Donald Tusk’s party is now proposing loosening (albeit not eliminating) abortion restrictions.

This is a trend in many countries. I believe in the past voting differences were mostly split along factors such as age and education, but increasingly in the young segment there is a split between men and women. With young men increasingly favoring autocrats.

https://uinterview.com/news/trumps-fundraising-agreement-with-rnc-allows-donations-to-cover-his-legal-bills-despite-concern-hes-using-party-as-a-piggy-bank/

Former President Donald Trump’s new joint fundraising agreement with the Republican National Committee (RNC) allows donations to the party to be funneled to his campaign and PAC to cover his legal expenses.

Under the arrangement, Republican donors will see a portion of their money go toward helping Trump pay off his staggering legal bills before they are used for the national and state parties during the election season.

Looks like Republicans all down the line will be cash starved due to TFG's legal bills. The argument that the money will be used to fight "the illegal witch hunts" continues to work. The RNC is now funding TFG first, then the Save America PAC, and finally the RNC and the rest of the Republicans running for office.

When the campaign installed its own people, including daughter-in-law Lara TFG, they fired a lot of folks and invited the rest to reapply, and many didn't. The RNC is supposedly dangerously understaffed going into a presidential election. 

And, of course, if TFG is convicted of any of the many charges against him, he may not even be able to vote for himself.