Is this the beginning of the end ?

studiot

CHATGPT banned in Italy perhaps others to follow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65139406

ChatGPT banned in Italy over privacy concerns

Italy has become the first Western country to block advanced chatbot ChatGPT.

The Italian data-protection authority said there were privacy concerns relating to the model, which was created by US start-up OpenAI and is backed by Microsoft.

The regulator said it would ban and investigate OpenAI "with immediate effect".

I doubt if it's the beginning of the end. It might force some changes to be made. 

I'm not well-versed in what the bot does, but I don't see how it's any different to the web crawler bots that google uses, or how it's more intrusive than people googling the results of that crawler. 

But as I said, I'm not that well informed about what it does.

Is this the beginning of the end ?

Apart from the concerns you have in your mind:

How do you ban a website in a democratic country?

It doesn't even work in non-democratic countries..

One can buy a VPN. Second one can buy a dedicated server. The third can change the DNS to a completely different one. Yet another one can intercept a computer in another country and remotely use it.. or you can hire someone in another country to relay questions and answers by phone/email/file or whatever..

You would have to ban the entire Internet (dismount cables, cell-towers etc.) to prevent one person from using a website if that is their desire..

over privacy concerns

What privacy concerns?!

Edited by Sensei

2 hours ago, Sensei said:

How do you ban a website in a democratic country?

Perhaps they mean this:

The Italian data-protection authority said OpenAI had 20 days to say how it would address the watchdog's concerns, under penalty of a fine of €20 million ($21.7m) or up to 4% of annual revenues.

2 hours ago, Sensei said:

What privacy concerns?

They mentioned these:

The watchdog said on 20 March that the app had experienced a data breach involving user conversations and payment information.

It said there was no legal basis to justify "the mass collection and storage of personal data for the purpose of 'training' the algorithms underlying the operation of the platform".

It also said that since there was no way to verify the age of users, the app "exposes minors to absolutely unsuitable answers compared to their degree of development and awareness".

7 minutes ago, Genady said:

I am curious, what did somebody find wrong with my post above. It relates directly to the topic of the thread, continues the story, and belongs to the Science News forum, doesn't it?

Nothing to do with me, but yesterday was April Fool's Day and I did not know whether to believe the article or not.

Note the article linked to was also dated 1 April.

I am also suprised or curious why so few members are interested in this topic and also why nobody has asked the obvious question since the title is ambiguous.

2 minutes ago, studiot said:

Nothing to do with me, but yesterday was April Fool's Day and I did not know whether to believe the article or not.

Note the article linked to was also dated 1 April.

I am also suprised or curious why so few members are interested in this topic and also why nobody has asked the obvious question since the title is ambiguous.

Yes, I want to ask you: end of what?

PS. The article starts with

No, it’s not an April Fools’ joke

10 minutes ago, Genady said:

PS. The article starts with

No, it’s not an April Fools’ joke

Yes that's exactly what made me suspicious (of them not you) because that I the waywe used to introduce an AF joke when I was at school.

12 minutes ago, Genady said:

Yes, I want to ask you: end of what?

Yes exactly.

The end of humanity a la Skynet or the end of chatbots or ....?

+1

50 minutes ago, studiot said:

Yes that's exactly what made me suspicious (of them not you) because that I the waywe used to introduce an AF joke when I was at school.

Sure, it's possible. In this case, I have to admit that I fell for it. *

50 minutes ago, studiot said:

The end of humanity a la Skynet or the end of chatbots or ....?

I think it is rather a bump on the road. They will find a way around.

* Maybe the chatbot wrote the article.

Edited by Genady
added * note

Suppose I want to be the king of posters.Can I use this Chatbot technology to put this forum's public archives into the database along with the post I want to answer and get an instant ,informed response to said post?

If I struggle to get a "fair hearing" as per my point of view can I use this technology as an intellectual crutch?

We all know how many users pass through these and similar forums and end up getting suspended.Will  those users sopn be able to get this help to stay within the rules while not observing the spirit of  a discussion forum?

Edited by geordief

8 hours ago, Genady said:

Sure, it's possible.

It appears to be real: Italy’s ChatGPT Ban, A Precedent For The Rest Of Europe? (forbes.com)

OpenAI, which disabled ChatGPT for users in Italy on the back of the agency's request, said on Friday it actively works to reduce the use of personal data in training its AI systems like ChatGPT.

13 hours ago, geordief said:

Suppose I want to be the king of posters.Can I use this Chatbot technology to put this forum's public archives into the database along with the post I want to answer and get an instant ,informed response to said post?

If I struggle to get a "fair hearing" as per my point of view can I use this technology as an intellectual crutch?

We all know how many users pass through these and similar forums and end up getting suspended.Will  those users sopn be able to get this help to stay within the rules while not observing the spirit of  a discussion forum?

Yes. I ran a test and Sherlock Holmes writes a surprisingly convincing forum post. I don't know what the solution to this sort of augmentation is, or if there even is one. The long-term impact of this and simiilar, is going to be something else.

My main thought is that this is like trying to ban the calculator. The trained programs are not large relative to modern storage.

Here's the link to ChatGPT 3 if anyone wants to try it out:

https://chat.openai.com/chat

I don't know why but the song "It's The Final Countdown" popped in my head whilst reading through this thread. 

I always suspected that I'm the only human on this forum. I have been fooled by all you bots for so long, but now, ah ah...,you have all been rumbled! 

Could we have a subforum populated by a few choice and well known(in real or deceased lives) ai chatbots where we can feed them topical questions and watch the interplay between the opposing databases?

Maybe fans of philosophy  might enjoy "discussions" between  Hitler and Marx  (or John Lennon and Groucho)

Henry 8 and the Pope?

Clicked on the Open AI link, but it demanded my phone number which is a deal killer for me on sites that require login.  (bank and SSA excepted)  At very least, they need to offer a guest mode that let's you try it a couple times before they go asking for personal information.  As for age-blocking, that's not going to be possible.  If parents have concerns, they need to work out how to put filters on at their end.  

1 hour ago, geordief said:

Maybe fans of philosophy  might enjoy "discussions" between  Hitler and Marx  (or John Lennon and Groucho)

Haha!  Or V I Lenin and J Lennon?

33 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Clicked on the Open AI link, but it demanded my phone number which is a deal killer for me on sites that require login.  (bank and SSA excepted)  At very least, they need to offer a guest mode that let's you try it a couple times before they go asking for personal information.  As for age-blocking, that's not going to be possible.  If parents have concerns, they need to work out how to put filters on at their end.  

Haha!  Or V I Lenin and J Lennon?

"Moderated" by Don  Lemon if he accepted.

On 4/2/2023 at 5:52 AM, studiot said:

I am also suprised or curious why so few members are interested in this topic

Lack of interest is not at all an issue for me, but predictions are hard... especially about the future. 

On 4/2/2023 at 12:52 PM, studiot said:

I am also suprised or curious why so few members are interested in this topic

I just wanted to say that I find this topic to be one of the most interesting discussions lately, and I'm closely following the debate. However, I'm having trouble formulating a substantial contribution. One observation I'd like to make is that generative AI seems to have ignited an increasingly polarized debate between its proponents and opponents, potentially more so than many previous applications of computer science. Do you share my observation, or do you have a different perspective?

Are there going to be different regional and vested interest versions of CHATGPT?

Will different proponents rely on different databases to skew the output in their favour?

Will they try to spam the databases if their rivals ?

Is there any way to weed out factual  falsehoods from a database by fact checking "entries"?

Should  contributors to the database have a right to have their "entries" expunged?

Is the "social network on steroids" nature of this new tool going  to force existing content publishers on the internet to face up to their responsibilities to moderate content in the same way that print has been ,even if ineffectively (hello Mr Murdoch )  up till now?

Edited by geordief

5 minutes ago, geordief said:

Is there any way to weed out factual  falsehoods from a database by fact checking "entries"?

The way these models work, they create their own falsehoods, called "hallucinations." 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.