War Games: Russia Takes Ukraine, China Takes Taiwan. US Response?

iNow

On first view of videos coming out of Ukraine, you feel sorry for the displaced women and children, the destruction and the suffering, and the deaths of Ukrainians who, just a week ago, were living their lives and going about their business.
Some of the graphic videos on Reddit also show what is happening to the Russian soldiers; young kids, scared and confused, some dying in brutal fashion. I feel sorry for them too.

All this misery to satisfy the ego of a deluded man who yearns for the long since past glory of 'empire'.

1 minute ago, MigL said:

the destruction and the suffering, and the deaths of Ukrainians who, just a week ago, were living their lives and going about their business.

60 Minutes did a piece tonight that touched on the all too human side of this suffering and how people fleeing Ukraine feel. It added a few new layers to my understanding of this onion, and like an onion caused me to shed a few tears. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/ukraine-refugees-poland-russia-60-minutes-video-2022-03-06/#x

2 hours ago, TheVat said:

So many possible flashpoints now.  Would Russia try to seize the Suwalki corridor if it felt Kaliningrad exclave was threatened?  What if NATO were to flip Vlads territorial logic back on him, point out that the exclave is not really historically part of Russia?  Or what if Putin saw NATO movements around the exclave and misinterpreted them as directed towards a land grab?  

Another random thought - how does a NATO ally deliver fighter jets to Ukraine without, erm, you know?  Or do Ukraine pilots go to that donor country and pick them up, fly a sortie from there?  IIRC, Poland is looking into something like that.   Does that send Vlad off the rails and he declares war on the donating nation?  Seems likely.  

All this "we're helping the war but hey we're not really in the war" stuff seems like thin ice to me.  

I'm thinking they can fly them into Ukraine, regardless of pilot and have to land them there. At that point it can't be a member of Nato pilot or crew that does a sortie against Russian targets, unless it's some "volunteer" with no connection to Nato member military.

But of course I don't know the "rules". It all seems very strange.

23 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Apparently the WH thinks they may have a lead on some climate friendly oil that could replace the Russian's climate friendly oil...

"U.S. officials make rare trip to Venezuela, discuss resuming oil imports to help replace Russian fuel"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/06/venezuela-american-officials-visit/

What a terrible idea.  Buy oil from one fascist tyrant to make up the small shortfall of oil (what, three percent of our oil?) from another fascist tyrant?  Three percent - we can't sell breaking out the bikes and scooters (it's March, folks) as a patriotic act and expanding the arsenal in the war on obesity?  Or bring bigger federal subsidies for purchasing hybrids, electrics, and fuel miser IC cars?  If we mean to go Green, and move away from fossil fuels, this seems like the perfect two birds/one stone set-up.  

2 hours ago, iNow said:
2 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

...at least when they come from the Left we know their intentions were good...

FFS, really? So needless

A tyrant is a tyrant, and defined by his actions; what he ( or we ) choose to label his ideology is not really relevant.

( I think the reaction is funnier than the comment, JC )

Edited by MigL

On 3/4/2022 at 3:36 AM, Genady said:

I think the spelling should rather be, Фак Путин. I agree either way.

Done. Bit chily to wear atm.

76008995_PutinTshirt.thumb.jpg.8079c0ffd956964500dae526452a193a.jpg

I see Putin is offering Ukrainians a corridor... into Russia (AP)

Edited by StringJunky

1 hour ago, MigL said:

A tyrant is a tyrant, and defined by his actions; what he ( or we ) choose to label his ideology is not really relevant.

( I think the reaction is funnier than the comment, JC )

No worries. One day INow will say "FFS really? so needless" when we poke fun of the extreme Right...and then we can put on our skates and play shinny in Hell...

US defense officials say Russia has now deployed roughly 100% of their military combat force into this Ukraine effort.

The Pentagon also confirms that Russia is actively recruiting mercenary fighters from Syria to assist them in Ukraine as Russian war crimes grow with now at least 14 attacks on civilian hospitals and health facilities.

The US is sending 500 more troops into Europe bringing the total in the region to 100,000. 

It also looks like the Russians have lost their momentum and the Ukrainians a beginning to re-take their cities.

Ukraine LIVE: Putin invasion ruined as airport AND city 'retaken' – claims 11k troops dead | World | News | Express.co.uk

Seems they were particularly unprepaed for the winter thaw conditions, and how it impairs their mobility re-supply and logistics.

Napoleon and Hitler must be turning over in their graves at the irony of the Russian army attacking another country in the winter, and losing, along with massive casualties, due to weather and conditions.

9 minutes ago, MigL said:

ISeems they were particularly unprepaed for the winter thaw conditions, and how it impairs their mobility re-supply and logistics.

I read not long ago that the Russians were openly mocking reports that they were waiting for the ground to go hard before rolling in because of the mud. It seems they were BSing. It is appearing more amd more to me that Russia's past conflicts against unresourced opponents has given them false confidence to go boldly into this invasion.

Edited by StringJunky

33 minutes ago, iNow said:

US defense officials say Russia has now deployed roughly 100% of their military combat force into this Ukraine effort.

Is that roughly 100% of what had been amassed at the Ukrainian border? As opposed to 100% of ALL military combat force?

23 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Is that roughly 100% of what had been amassed at the Ukrainian border? As opposed to 100% of ALL military combat force?

The former. Those massed along the border. Excellent clarifying question.