Consequences of Trump's Covid Condition?

Area54

Just now, MigL said:

Every restaurant in Ontario, Canada, that is open for business ( with limited well-spaced seating ) requires you to be wearing a mask upon entering and for at least one person to sign in and give contact information ( unless you've made reservations and have already provided it ).

Might make things a little tense if you are out with your girlfriend and your wife is contacted about a possible outbreak in that particular establishment.

Parts of Canada is its second wave and in some provinces masks are still not mandatory. I do not have hard data for Canada, but I think while contact tracers were hired, it was still not as full as it should have been. Especially at the beginning (i.e. the most important phase) self-quarantine was kind not sufficiently followed-up. There were reports of snow birds arriving from the US and going straight to the next Walmart. 

I think in the end what really hurt us is the kind of arrogance we have treating infectious diseases primarily as an exotic or third-world problem and denying the danger of it for far too long before taking measures (and even then often not enough). If the government does not take it seriously, the population surely won't. And even if the government does (as in Canada) folks might still not comply (maybe the US is contagious in more than one regard...).

It is also the reason why I find the focus on things like wet-markets worrying as they frame the dangers of disease outbreaks (at least from a Western view, wet markets are the norm before their place are taking over by supermarkets) as something foreign. And then it is easy to forget to make ones own disease response compatible with the new reality.

Do not get me wrong, I know health care professionals working impossible hours through this pandemic and there has been a massive learning experience for everyone involved. But we do not realize that what is happening right now is not the exception. It will happen again and if we do not prepare accordingly and keep being prepared  the outcome will not improve. I think the data has sufficiently shown that it is not a third world problem. It is a (health) policy problem.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

What really worries me is that if he dies the Republicans can run a campaign  that essentially says 
"Anything you liked about the last 4 years is down to Republican policies and we will keep doing it; anything you didn't like was Mr Trump's personal policy so we won't do that again"

Nobody will notice that, Republican policy was, actually, to support trump.

On the other hand, perhaps the Democrats should be chanting " Built no wall!"

Trump was elected largely on one issue- that wall; paid for by Mexico.
No wall, not a single Peso from the Mexicans.

The Dems should be rubbing his nose in that fact.

I view this as inevitable. Just like with Bush. Trump, a Republican, literally attacked Hillary Clinton over the Iraq War. In just 8yrs (08'-16') Republicans were already blaming Democrats for the Iraq War, Patriot Act, etc. It is just what they do.

The morning after Trump tweeted out his "sickness" I saw a woman drive by my house in a flashy convertible with a skeleton/manikin in the passenger seat wearing a mask but the woman driving had on no mask. Made me wonder if she had seen the news yet. 

Lot's of Trumpers and Trumpettes around here, usually less than 50% are wearing a mask and if they are wearing a mask more likely than not they leave their noses out of the mask. I haven't seen any change since Trump announced his diseased status but I am keeping "them" under observation. 

Of course this is the deep south and lots of high income people live around here in gated communities and it makes sense so many trump supporters are supposed to be rich as I have been informed. 

Lots of big pickup trucks with american and confederate flags flying from the bed of their trucks here too...  

13 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Lots of big pickup trucks with american and confederate flags flying from the bed of their trucks here too... 

It occurs to me that a simplistic interpretation of the state of the USA today is that the American Civil War never really finished properly. One hopes that in this context "simplistic" equates to "silly and irrelevant and wrong".

So Trump says that he is leaving the hospital (much to the surprise to health experts). Even worse, instead of taking that as a teachable moment he tweeted:

Don’t be afraid of Covid. Don’t let it dominate your life. We have developed, under the Trump Administration, some really great drugs & knowledge. I feel better than I did 20 years ago!

That almost immediately puts folks at risk who are silly enough to believe him. I am aghast. Not surprised, though, which is a very weird mental state to be in.

1 minute ago, CharonY said:

So Trump says that he is leaving the hospital (much to the surprise to health experts). Even worse, instead of taking that as a teachable moment he tweeted:

That almost immediately puts folks at risk who are silly enough to believe him. I am aghast. Not surprised, though, which is a very weird mental state to be in.

This is getting out of hand, can this be a real move on Trump's part to disrupt the election and become dictator? Is he really trying to kill people or is he just a psychopath and this is all about him?  

47 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

This is getting out of hand, can this be a real move on Trump's part to disrupt the election and become dictator? Is he really trying to kill people or is he just a psychopath and this is all about him?  

Let's put it like that. How would you characterize someone who is willing to sacrifice over 215,000 people rather than simply admit being wrong?

2 hours ago, CharonY said:

How would you characterize someone who is willing to sacrifice over 215,000 people rather than simply admit being wrong?

Self-centered insecure narcissistic uninformed authoritarian asshole

4 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Do even his most ardent supporters question this part? 😏

1 hour ago, iNow said:

Self-centered insecure narcissistic uninformed authoritarian asshole

Nailed it except for that I think. Agree with CY.

54 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Not sure about that, as he receives briefings. Willfully uninformed (or plain lazy) is probably more appropriate.

Not sure what it is, but some are exceptional at quickly seeing one side (invariably their own) of things. Trump has to be in that category.

Some would call others lazy as they ponder both sides of things.

Not sweating details can allow moving on to something else.

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

1 hour ago, CharonY said:

Not sure about that, as he receives briefings. Willfully uninformed (or plain lazy) is probably more appropriate.

32 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Nailed it except for that I think. Agree with CY.

Imprudent, incautious, irresponsible, injudicious, indiscreet, idiotic, reckless, rash, careless, corrupt, villainous, shady, amoral, unprincipled, ineffective, willfully uninformed... and others

And now our entire military top brass has had to quarantine and effectively put our national security at risk since an Admiral of the Coast Guard who'd been meeting with them at the Pentagon has tested positive. 

These idiots are like the Keystone Cops, I swear. 

17 hours ago, iNow said:

Imprudent, incautious, irresponsible, injudicious, indiscreet, idiotic, reckless, rash, careless, corrupt, villainous, shady, amoral, unprincipled, ineffective, willfully uninformed... and others

But aren't those qualities what appeal to people?   Because he's so utterly different from all the other run-of-the-mill politicians who just make people feel fed up and sick and tired of the whole lot them.

23 minutes ago, Charles 3781 said:

But aren't those qualities what appeal to people?   Because he's so utterly different from all the other run-of-the-mill politicians who just make people feel fed up and sick and tired of the whole lot them.

He's an example of the extremist capitalists most of the run-of-the-mill politicians work for. He just cut out the middleman, and now he's draining the swamp right into our own living rooms. When our root problem is extremist billionaires who don't care about our society, why make one of them chief?

30 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

When our root problem is extremist billionaires who don't care about our society, why make one of them chief?

Do you really think the root problem is "extremist billionaires"?  I very much doubt it.  There are deeper forces at work.

2 hours ago, Charles 3781 said:

But aren't those qualities what appeal to people?  

Off-topic

1 hour ago, Charles 3781 said:

Do you really think the root problem is "extremist billionaires"?  I very much doubt it.  There are deeper forces at work.

Off-topic

On 10/2/2020 at 2:12 PM, iNow said:

entirely possible he has a mild case and makes a full recovery in 2 weeks. That would allow him to come out and say, “yeah I coughed and sneezed a few times, but I’m as tough as an ox and I told you this thing was no worse than flu”

Not even 1 week has passed, nor is he fully recovered, but he’s already come out and said the above.

XP43GZJF6ZCKJE5NPZ5WDQZ2NQ.jpg

Stephen Miller, bald racist ghoul who used to work as Jeff Sessions chief of staff and who’s now a key adviser to Trump that’s considered the architect of kids in cages / alligators in moats at the border and other similar “whites are better than everyone else” policies is now also covid positive. 

I think it would be a good time to get back to topic. Apparently the White House has declined assistance from CDC for contact tracing and despite them knowing before that Hicks was positive. They did not warn other folks, so public endangerment seems to be the standard policy at this point.

1 minute ago, CharonY said:

I think it would be a good time to get back to topic. Apparently the White House has declined assistance from CDC for contact tracing and despite them knowing before that Hicks was positive. They did not warn other folks, so public endangerment seems to be the standard policy at this point.

Surely the White House is pursuing the only rational policy.  In the absence of an effective vaccine against Covid-19,  the speedy establishment of "herd-immunity" is the best response. 

Less than 3% of the US population has been exposed. Herd immunity requires something closer to 70% exposure, plus millions of deaths along the way, plus likely wouldn’t work for covid anyway since it evolves like the seasonal flu. 

It’s also yet another off-topic trolling post baiting people into staying off-topic