UFO evidence and how it's handled.

Moontanman

On 11/9/2019 at 2:05 AM, studiot said:

Neither.

But I had just watched an interesting Natural World TV programme about Bears.

One species of bear apparantly has an opposable wrist that he can manipulate in conjunction with his claws,  like our thumb and fingers.
He can also develop mental 'maps', remember them and use them for future planning.

I did not know this until I saw the programme and the video of those bears.

I do know that many species can emulate some of our capability or another, perhaps in a small way.

But your author was claiming we are the only species that can...........

I humbly suggest we need to beware of such puffed up self importance that once boosted religous claims.

What does bears having opposible wrists have to do with Ray Kurzweil saying what he said in that clip? I assure you that Kurzweil knows that we are not the only species with opposable thumbs and I assure you he is not a puffed up self imporant guy. He might have phrased that sentence a bit poorly I admit but I'm pretty sure he isn't who you think he is.

1 hour ago, koti said:

What does bears having opposible wrists have to do with Ray Kurzweil saying what he said in that clip?

He said, very specifically that humans are the only species with an opposable thumb.

He was just plain wrong, and googling it suprises me just how many other species there are that actually have one, in addition to those species that have an alternative anatomical arrangement that serves the same function.

* Chimpanzees have opposable thumbs on all four hands. * Lesser Apes have opposable thumbs on all four hands. * Old World Monkeys, with some exceptions, such as the genera, Piliocolobus and Colobus. * Giant Panda - Panda paws have five clawed fingers plus an extra bone that works like an opposable thumb.

He also used this and also the our enhanced reasoning ability compared to other animals in the same way as the Church has done in the past -
To promote the idea that we are somehow better and more deserving than other animals.

This is also misguided.

Anyway I also said he had some good ideas, so why are you not making a fuss about these?

I try to be objective and even handed, but nobody is perfect.

1 hour ago, studiot said:

He said, very specifically that humans are the only species with an opposable thumb.

He was just plain wrong, and googling it suprises me just how many other species there are that actually have one, in addition to those species that have an alternative anatomical arrangement that serves the same function.

He also used this and also the our enhanced reasoning ability compared to other animals in the same way as the Church has done in the past -
To promote the idea that we are somehow better and more deserving than other animals.

This is also misguided.

Anyway I also said he had some good ideas, so why are you not making a fuss about these?

I try to be objective and even handed, but nobody is perfect.

No. He said that humas are the only ones with the "opposable appendage" and do "recursive rational thinking"
It's a twitch not noticable to anyone remotely familiar with his stance on technology/religion/science which you insist to keep grabing onto for I don't know what reason since Kuzweil is an established persona in the science and tech world. Two seconds later he talks about "humans passing knowledge to next generations, humans creating technology" but you for some reason are grasping to some artificial thought that Kurzweil doesn't have basic biology knowledge. I realy didn't want to bring this up but you studiot have kept on discussing laser measuring crap in the "Lake Balaton" thread with flat earthers here on the forum for f***ing weeks so I don't think you get to tell me (or Ray) that he is in the wrong here, okay?

Edited by koti

9 hours ago, koti said:

No. He said that humas are the only ones with the "opposable appendage" and do "recursive rational thinking"

The first is wrong, the second is unknowable. So it seems a fairly dubious claim, even if you include the "and".

9 hours ago, koti said:

Two seconds later he talks about "humans passing knowledge to next generations, humans creating technology"

And that is something also shared by other animals.

Has anyone wondered why most UFO sightings are objects with lights on them?  It seems like the aliens want to be seen.  If they were capable of traveling the distance to reach us, and they obviously haven't announce themselves, they why would they have lights, even blinking, colored lights, on their spacecraft?  Could that be a diversion to allow a more stealthy spacecraft to fly in or out of their Earth bases?

Is it possible that if aliens have been hiding here for a long time, they may have learned enough about us, maybe more than we know about ourselves.  They could stay one step beyond our ability to detect them.  As camera technology improves and becomes more common, aliens would be aware of that, and maybe the aliens have simply become more careful.  So only blurred photos are ever taken of them?  Also maybe they are very careful to pick up after themselves, so no undeniable evidence is left behind.

Edited by Airbrush

1 hour ago, Airbrush said:

Has anyone wondered why most UFO sightings are objects with lights on them?  It seems like the aliens want to be seen.  If they were capable of traveling the distance to reach us, and they obviously haven't announce themselves, they why would they have lights, even blinking, colored lights, on their spacecraft?  Could that be a diversion to allow a more stealthy spacecraft to fly in or out of their Earth bases?

Is it possible that if aliens have been hiding here for a long time, they may have learned enough about us, maybe more than we know about ourselves.  They could stay one step beyond our ability to detect them.  As camera technology improves and becomes more common, aliens would be aware of that, and maybe the aliens have simply become more careful.  So only blurred photos are ever taken of them?  Also maybe they are very careful to pick up after themselves, so no undeniable evidence is left behind.

34 minutes ago, swansont said:

That's an excellent point.

Indeed, but I mostly wondered why anyone cares...

21 hours ago, Externet said:

Unless the lights are a byproduct emissions of operational something else going on...

If "aliens" have the ability to travel such great distances, don't you think they can mask their "byproduct emissions?"  They should have better stealth than we do.

SwansonT and Strange I practically covered Page 4 of this thread with citations backing up my statements. It took considerable time and effort to do so the least you guys could have done is commented on them. 

The quote about the Airforce offering Condon more money is in a book that costs $150 as are the source material for several others. Not something I am going to buy but when I get transportation back I do plan to go to the public library and see if they have a copy meanwhile I would appreciate some sort of answer to my citations for the things I was able to track down. Especially after being accused of dishonesty... 

Edited by Moontanman

16 hours ago, Moontanman said:

SwansonT and Strange I practically covered Page 4 of this thread with citations backing up my statements. It took considerable time and effort to do so the least you guys could have done is commented on them. 

I see two of them. One of which was a history if the CIA's involvement in studying reports. The other was the Coyne link, and I wasn't sure how that was relevant to anything being discussed.

16 hours ago, Moontanman said:

The quote about the Airforce offering Condon more money is in a book that costs $150 as are the source material for several others. Not something I am going to buy but when I get transportation back I do plan to go to the public library and see if they have a copy meanwhile I would appreciate some sort of answer to my citations for the things I was able to track down. Especially after being accused of dishonesty... 

How much does it cost to provide the citation for it? How did you learn of it if you don't have the book?

On 11/18/2019 at 9:45 AM, swansont said:

I see two of them. One of which was a history if the CIA's involvement in studying reports.

The link spoke to the idea that a cover up was going on. 

The other was the Coyne link, and I wasn't sure how that was relevant to anything being discussed.

The Coyne link was an example of a sighting that has been dismissed as a slow moving meteor. 

How much does it cost to provide the citation for it? How did you learn of it if you don't have the book?

I got the quote from a video, the man being interviewed claimed it. I searched for the quote and or source material for the video and after google and contacting the producers of the video I found the source material for the video was a book currently costing $155, the book is not exactly new so I am hoping the library will have a copy. The video in question has been quite accurate so far in it's information I have been able to check on so I think it would be constructive to track this down but not if my efforts are going to be dismissed as untrustworthy... And yes I was told I could not be trusted on this subject due to my "beliefs" 

5 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

I got the quote from a video, the man being interviewed claimed it. I searched for the quote and or source material for the video and after google and contacting the producers of the video I found the source material for the video was a book currently costing $155, the book is not exactly new so I am hoping the library will have a copy. The video in question has been quite accurate so far in it's information I have been able to check on so I think it would be constructive to track this down but not if my efforts are going to be dismissed as untrustworthy... And yes I was told I could not be trusted on this subject due to my "beliefs" 

Why is the title and author of this book a secret?

20 minutes ago, swansont said:

Why is the title and author of this book a secret?

It is not a secret, the title of the book is "the UFO encyclopedia"  by Jerome Clark and Angela L. Williams , the video is "UFOs the secret history" the relevant section is 37:45 to 40:15 . There are several books with this title but only the one by those authors is said to be the source of the video by the producer of the video. I was thinking of going to the book store and seeing if I could tract down paper back versions since the dates on the book and the film do not exactly match but as the moment I am without transportation but I will get around to it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDb1oyVKnP4

Edited by Moontanman