'Stupid Woman'

DrP

2 minutes ago, iNow said:

I think he’s joking about how calling someone a politician may understandably be seen as an insult 

I thought so but wasn't sure. To my point: one is labelling her by her profession, whom, to you, was impressive in doing that.

2 minutes ago, iNow said:

I think he’s joking about how calling someone a politician may understandably be seen as an insult 

Or "misunderstandably"?

Swipes at politicians at large   can be  cheap  and lazy shots in my book.

1 minute ago, StringJunky said:

How you deliver it determines  how it will be received. How I meant it was: "She's an impressive <insert profession>.

I think I was addressing the joke  by J.C.MacSwell actually. He was using the bad reputation of politicians  as a prop for his joke and I was objecting.to that.

She impressed me as a human. My reflexive response was to call her an impressive woman. I had to question and challenge my reflex and consciously try harder to be better. I shared it as an attempt to relate to those who feel they've disagreed with me here... to remind you that we’re not all that different and all have an opportunity to improve. 

1 hour ago, geordief said:

Or "misunderstandably"?

Swipes at politicians at large   can be  cheap  and lazy shots in my book.

Have you seen what is going on in America these days?

As of December 2018, Congress has an 18% approval rating. https://news.gallup.com/poll/1600/congress-public.aspx

Nothing cheap about using "politician" in a negative way.

11 hours ago, iNow said:

She impressed me as a human. My reflexive response was to call her an impressive woman. I had to question and challenge my reflex and consciously try harder to be better. I shared it as an attempt to relate to those who feel they've disagreed with me here... to remind you that we’re not all that different and all have an opportunity to improve. 

Right, your intentions may have been good but ultimately you still errored. Denying such and hiding behind your intentions would only prevent you from doing better. Many in this conversation are using intentions as some sort of get out of jail free card but it isn't. Over the years I have had to change many my use of language. I think we all need to evolve as we learn how our words impact others. To err is human after all. 

16 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

For the record, I would tend not to use the two words together, "stupid woman", unless I was sure my audience would know exactly what I intended by it.

And what if your audience was taken world wide and people were offended; would you apologise or just claim it never happened? 

2 hours ago, dimreepr said:

This just upset my meter... How dare you? :-)

I'm thoroughly offended that you used the word meter.

I'm American. Please don't use metric units. Even if it's just referencing something else entirely.

It's ignorant of my culture.:D

17 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

I'm thoroughly offended that you used the word meter.

I'm American. Please don't use metric units. Even if it's just referencing something else entirely.

It's ignorant of my culture.:D

I'm offended because you've spelt 'metre' wrong. A 'meter' is an object that measures things. :)

4 hours ago, StringJunky said:

I'm offended because you've spelt 'metre' wrong. A 'meter' is an object that measures things. :)

Ah, but I'm offended that you spelled meter as 'metre' instead of meter. Even though that's your culture, and how you guys spell it, I feel that since you know it offends me you should spell it as meter instead. 

I mean, it'd be just plain rude to know that it offends me and not change your actions.;)

Well, that particular 'stupid woman' ( T May )has just lost the vote on the BREXIT deal and may face a no-confidence vote.
But at least she's not as bad as that particular 'stupid man' ( D Trump ) in the White House.

Hope I'm not offending anyone's sensibilities.

38 minutes ago, MigL said:

Well, that particular 'stupid woman' ( T May )has just lost the vote on the BREXIT deal and may face a no-confidence vote.
But at least she's not as bad as that particular 'stupid man' ( D Trump ) in the White House.

Hope I'm not offending anyone's sensibilities.

That's going too far!

...should be a disclaimer to let us know you mean to reflect on Trump...and only Trump

...of course...if you said "stupid person" you double the potential number of people that should feel insulted

What was that again about none of you intending to mock others for disagreeing or having a different interpretation? Hmmm... The last several posts on this page and the one previous certainly seem to suggest otherwise.

5 minutes ago, iNow said:

What was that again about none of you intending to mock others for disagreeing or having a different interpretation? Hmmm... The last several posts on this page and the one previous certainly seem to suggest otherwise.

The mock number is getting a little high...

...there aughtta be a limit

I was simply posting news.
But I did add a disclaimer, in case anyone was offended with my opinions of the people involved.

Or are you saying that people may be offended by my apologizing beforehand for any perceived offence ?

4 minutes ago, MigL said:

I was simply posting news.
But I did add a disclaimer, in case anyone was offended with my opinions of the people involved.

Or are you saying that people may be offended by my apologizing beforehand for any perceived offence ?

My interpretation is that you purposefully used potentially offensive labels to sarcastically my a point. So the disclaimer itself is insincere in my opinion.