Jump to content
Itoero

Can you believe in evolution and in god?

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Itoero said:

Because they think those ghosts play a role in evolution.

Sorry, but I'm going to need a citation on that one. Frankly, I'd be surprised if you can come up with anecdotal evidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Sorry, but I'm going to need a citation on that one. Frankly, I'd be surprised if you can come up with anecdotal evidence.

Well some people consider god to be a ghost... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Well some people consider god to be a ghost... 

Could be, although not that I've ever heard of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, zapatos said:

Could be, although not that I've ever heard of.

I've heard it but generally the magic spirit is more common... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Sorry, but I'm going to need a citation on that one. Frankly, I'd be surprised if you can come up with anecdotal evidence.

I can look up the numbers if you want. Many believe in a form of progressive creationism and believe that God created life, so they deny abiogenesis.

The story of Jesus also doesn't fit with what science says. The story of Jesus is for them part of human history which is part of the evolution theory.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Itoero said:

I can look up the numbers if you want. Many believe in a form of progressive creationism and believe that God created life, so they deny abiogenesis.

The story of Jesus also doesn't fit with what science says. The story of Jesus is for them part of human history which is part of the evolution theory.

 

Yes, please provide one link that says people "think those ghosts play a role in evolution."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Yes, please provide one link that says people "think those ghosts play a role in evolution."

To be fare god is by definition a spirit and ghosts are spirits soooo... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

To be fare god is by definition a spirit and ghosts are spirits soooo... 

To be fair, when people say they 'believe in ghosts', they are generally assumed to be talking about an apparition of a dead person, not God.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zapatos said:

To be fair, when people say they 'believe in ghosts', they are generally assumed to be talking about an apparition of a dead person, not God.

Talked to many fundy christians lately? Ghosts are spirits and god is a spirit. Of course few if any of them make that connection... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zapatos said:

Yes, please provide one link that says people "think those ghosts play a role in evolution."

With ghosts, you do mean God/Jesus & co? This Wikipedia is related and very interesting.

Although biological evolution has been vocally opposed by some religious groups, many other groups accept the scientific position, sometimes with additions to allow for theological considerations. The positions of such groups are described by terms including "theistic evolution", "theistic evolutionism" or "evolutionary creation".

Many religious organizations accept evolutionary theory, though their related theological interpretations vary. Additionally, individuals or movements within such organizations may not accept evolution, and stances on evolution may have adapted (or evolved) throughout history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceptance_of_evolution_by_religious_groups

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_evolution

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_creationism

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Itoero said:

With ghosts, you do mean God/Jesus & co? This Wikipedia is related and very interesting.

Although biological evolution has been vocally opposed by some religious groups, many other groups accept the scientific position, sometimes with additions to allow for theological considerations. The positions of such groups are described by terms including "theistic evolution", "theistic evolutionism" or "evolutionary creation".

Many religious organizations accept evolutionary theory, though their related theological interpretations vary. Additionally, individuals or movements within such organizations may not accept evolution, and stances on evolution may have adapted (or evolved) throughout history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceptance_of_evolution_by_religious_groups

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_evolution

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_creationism

You do this all the time. You make a claim then when asked for evidence you talk about something else and pretend it is the same thing. It's getting old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, zapatos said:

You do this all the time. You make a claim then when asked for evidence you talk about something else and pretend it is the same thing. It's getting old.

People that believe in theistic evolution or progressive creationism believe ghosts play a role in evolution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Itoero said:

People that believe in theistic evolution or progressive creationism believe ghosts play a role in evolution.

 

20 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Talked to many fundy christians lately? Ghosts are spirits and god is a spirit. Of course few if any of them make that connection... 

 

The clue is in the name   - "the Holy Ghost".  :D:cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Itoero said:

People that believe in theistic evolution or progressive creationism believe ghosts play a role in evolution.

Why do I get negrep for this?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Itoero said:

Why do I get negrep for this?

 

It wasn't me...  I kind of believe you...  you probably got it because you said the exact same thing a page back and was asked by a couple of people to support your claim. You could have replied with 'I don't have any references, it is just what I have heard'...  or provided a reference - but you just repeated the same claim again as a statement of fact, even though clarity had been asked for. Maybe that is why - idk.   Sorry - off topic.

 

Holy GHOST.   So no surprise anyway.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Itoero said:

Why do I get negrep for this?

 

Because I'm tired of your bullshit tactics of moving the goalposts every time you are challenged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zapatos said:

Because I'm tired of your bullshit tactics of moving the goalposts every time you are challenged.

I don't move goalposts. You people have a lot of knowledge but your emotions get very fast the better of you. My image is 'destroyed' on this site because you people very often react on things I didn't say. This is the worst when talking about religion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DrP said:

t wasn't me...  I kind of believe you...  you probably got it because you said the exact same thing a page back and was asked by a couple of people to support your claim. You could have replied with 'I don't have any references, it is just what I have heard'...  or provided a reference - but you just repeated the same claim again as a statement of fact, even though clarity had been asked for. Maybe that is why - idk.   Sorry - off topic.

 

ok but I said how people believe in progressive creationism/theistic evolution and deny abiogenesis....I gave several links to prove it. How is this not evidence'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Itoero said:

I gave several links to prove it. How is this not evidence'?

If I read through those links - would I get evidence of people believing in ghost driven evolution as you claimed?

It's not my argument anyway - talk to the people that asked you to explain it. I don't really care about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrP said:

If I read through those links - would I get evidence of people believing in ghost driven evolution as you claimed?

Nope, hence the impasse and suggestion of moved goalposts / evasion / willful ignorance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, iNow said:

Nope, hence the impasse and suggestion of moved goalposts / evasion / willful ignorance

I thought that might be the case - which is partly why I didn't bother with the links...  Not my discussion anyway other than to point out it is called 'The Holy Ghost' - which means that if you believe god drove evolution then it is ghost driven I suppose  -  seems an odd way of putting it though....   and then it just brings us back to the nonexistence of this god thing that supposedly plays such a big role in all our lives without leaving a trace of evidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/08/2018 at 9:34 PM, Itoero said:

Many of them believe all science related to abiogenesis is wrong and don't think abiogenesis happened, many believe in progressive creationism and don't think nature can cause the variation of species.

Agreed.

BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT. (It's your thread, so you should know this.)

Obviously, there are people who don't believe the theory of evolution, or the Big Bang, or that the large scale structure of the universe is formed by gravity or that the Earth is round. So what? That is totally irrelevant.

Your question was whether you can be religious and still believe in theories of evolution. And the answer is obviously "yes". Pointing out the blindingly obvious fact that some people don't doesn't change that fact.

It is like I asked if you can have two legs and believe the Earth is round. Then, when someone points out that there are people with two legs who believe the Earth is round, you say "but some people with two legs don't believe that". Can you not see how unbelievably, monumentally irrelevant that comment is? Sheesh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

all of it Strange, cool off with  a +1.

 

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, studiot said:

all of it Strange, cool off with  a +1.

 

:)

I'm feeling better now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.