Space compression?

PaulGriffiths

As simple as it it is for me to explain I don't wish to get ridiculed for not having the facts.

When japan had the earthquake that made the planet shift a foot I happen to be sat at my computer, at that time I noticed the corner of the room strangely shift towards me but I did not wobble. It's as if space compressed, my judgement of distance to the corner did not change but I guess the focus/bend did as if you could imagine changing shape of a lens.

My only guess of this is space compressed, could be something else but there you go.

Did anyone else experience such an event. I live in Britain.

You probably won't believe me because it seems these science forums members and some moderators only believe in info such as Wikipedia.

As for profit there is the idea of folding space to get to another place so playing along with imagination I could theorise the idea of compressing space to create a shorter distance to a place.

If you really require proof I could use my phone's campus and tell you all which direction from my location though how to know the real shift would be hard because who do you ask?

As for the planet shifting it would be easy to imagine the planet continuing to shift or spin differently but I'm guessing luckily like if you are sitting in a car and shift your body the car will wobble, guess japan earthquake wobble is sort of a similar thing, luckily else possibly night would eventually swap with day.

P.S You can continue the ridicule about my theory "Life(Fossilised flesh) to the core" and include this additional earthquake wobbles and meteorites falling to explain layers but still you can't change the fact of coal below rock and a lots of rock looking exactly like flesh including some with complete colour, coincidence? I think not.

Thanks for reading.

Paul. G

Edited by PaulGriffiths

No probs...I have had a rough day and needed a good belly laugh. :rolleyes:

Sort of what I expected, could be worse though your disbelief doesn't change the information I have presented.

This forum is a little strange for me. Yes a lot of quite interesting thread questions but the info could easily be obtained by spending time with Wikipedia or other, guess it's laziness and a community of wanna be scientists with very small odds of becoming scientists because not open to new ideas.

Scientists or Science? Work or school? Probably just as well as wouldn't like creation of stink bombs...

Having spent years repairing TV's and video recorders I know people and those that solve problems and those that create them....

Edited by PaulGriffiths

Sort of what I expected, could be worse though your disbelief doesn't change the information I have presented.

This forum is a little strange for me. Yes a lot of quite interesting thread questions but the info could easily be obtained by spending time with Wikipedia or other, guess it's laziness and a community of wanna be scientists with very small odds of becoming scientists because not open to new ideas.

Having spent years repairing TV's and video recorders I know people and those that solve problems and those that create them....

I have no inkling to be a scientists matey, as I'm now a retired old bastard, but I certainly have read many reputable books by many reputable authors, and I am certainly gifted with the nous and knowledge to sort out the wheat from the chaff, and the paranormal and supernatural nonsense from real science. In essence, no I don't believe you.

If it were not for science and scientists my old friend, you would still be swinging in the trees.

Best of luck with your dreams.

Edited by beecee

Scientists or Science? Work or school? Probably just as well as wouldn't like creation of stink bombs...

I see, well unfortunately many of the members on this forum are interested in the science, not the claims.

I find it strange regardless of cause. That you saw your room shift towards you but you felt nothing.

So that in and of itself tells me that neither you nor your room vibrated from seismic activity.

So what about visual distortions. Well the human eye can only see certain frequencies. P and S waves in the atmosphere would have different frequencies than in the Earths crust etc.

Snells law does apply.

The Earth shifting can not be visually seen by an observer on Earth. The observer on Earth will shift by the same amount.

So would the atmosphere.

So we ruled out two of the 3 possibilities without using wiki by simple physics.

Leaving visual effects. Yes Earthquakes can affect atmospheric conditions. The atmospheric distortions can theoretically cause visual distortions.

However there lies a problem. You mentioned in Britain. Good luck getting an atmospheric distortion in the visual range from Japan to Britain. Far too much interference in between.

We won't even bother with spacetime distortions due to Earth moving a foot. That wouldn't cause a disturbance to any spacetime region you could possibly observe. Your room, You and the atmosphere in your room will shift at the same vector as the Earth as it shifts 1 foot.

See I didn't have to wiki a single item to call your post into question.

Now here is another hard fact, gravity waves ie spacetime time distortions can be generated through Earthquakes. However the order of magnitude would literally be undetectable.

To give an example the Earth Sun system can generate GW waves when the Earth changes orbit. However not even our best detectors on Earth could possibly detect such.

Wiki does actually give a calculation for this. However it is far less than a strain of [latex]10^{-19}[/latex] This would be due to the range of your location from the epicentre.

Studies on using GW waves for Earthquakes place the strain between [latex]10^{-12}-10^{-20}[/latex] within the first 100 km of the epicentre.

So if our best detectors cannot detect these distortions what do you think the odds are you saw a visual spacetime distortion. These ranges of GW strains won't even be perceivable by the human eye whose range of wavelengths is between 400 to 700 nm. The strain values are far far below these wavelengths.

I gathee from the quoted post your a technician. I'm fairly positive your course taught you the limits of human perception. I certainly know it was covered in my electronics course.

My studies on the topic of GW waves is however from my master degree in Cosmology so I have a very good handle on the viable ranges of GW waves. You cannot possibly see them from any possible event in our solar system as a cause. It would be impossible for the human body to even sense them.

Let's slap a little physics into this.

A detector for GW waves requires a length long enough to capture a 90 degree phase shift of the GW wave. I'm certain your familiar with the quarter wave from antenna basics?

The formula happens to be identical. It also is the same formula used on the Foucalt pendulum.

Though LIGO uses a few advanced techniques to increase sensitivity at shorter lengths. Ie reflecting the lasers 400 times over a length of 4 km before recombining the split original frequency signal to detect the phase changes upon recombination.

Your entire body wouldn't even notice a GW wave. So how would you expect to detect a spacetime distortion from an Earthquake?

We can safely discount that possibility

Edited by Mordred

About 10 years ago I was having a coffee at the golf club one Friday (might have been a Tuesday) morning. I was on my own waiting to go and practice or play. I stood up and looked outside at the 18th green and BAM - all of a sudden it felt as though I Had accelerated fast by about 2 foot to the side... The feeling was in my brain/head - I felt nothing in the rest of my body, just this sudden sideways 'shove to the side. It was a little nauseating at first but it passes quickly.

Many things went through my thoughts... was the earth displaced? (no) was it a quake? (no), did anyone else notice this? (looks around - no).... was it imagination?... (hmmm doubt it, felt VERY real). Was it a tiny tiny stroke or blood lot moving? (Maybe, how would I know). I still do not know what that was... maybe I should have reported it to a doctor, but it never happened again and I had a busy day of golf practice planned so I just carried on.

Whatever it was - I am pretty sure the occurrence was biological rather than physical. Maybe the same goes for the perception of the room moving for the OP? Hard to tell.

When japan had the earthquake that made the planet shift a foot

No, it didn't.

That's the thing about knowing some science — you could actually cite some relevant concepts and perhaps do a calculation or two and know that this did not happen. A shift requires an external force, and an earthquake is internal.

What did happen was the rotational axis shifted as a result of the mass redistribution, which would make the earth wobble differently, and make the earth rotate a bit faster — a couple of microseconds per day, according to calculations. The normal variation is around a millisecond per day over the course of a year, so something a couple thousandths of that would be difficult to measure. And this shift is just from the earthquake, and ignores that other effects happen afterwards that mitigate these effects

http://maia.usno.navy.mil/lplot1.png

No big shift in the polar angle for that earthquake (11 Mar 2011) (though something interesting happened near new Year's Day 2006)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6AZPpQmxCFo/T5WVx_LL9VI/AAAAAAAAB_c/1FObm6PU0Pg/s1600/Polar+motion+from+2005+hpiers-obspm-fr%28ance%29.JPG

https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/japanquake/earth20110314.html

Yes a lot of quite interesting thread questions but the info could easily be obtained by spending time with Wikipedia or other, guess it's laziness...

So improve yourself! You don't have to remain lazy. Do a little research next time you open a thread and present it here.

I admire the way that totally ignorant fools who value their deranged imaginings above real learning attempt to belittle real working scientists and others who have made some effort to study with comments like "wannabe" and "look it up on Wikipedia".

It is chutzpah meets Dunning and Kruger.

My only guess of this is space compressed, could be something else but there you go.

I don't understand why you admit this is just a wild guess, the only thing that occurred to you, and yet you claim people who know more science than you do are "ridiculing" your ideas. Isn't it more likely that they're showing where you're wrong, where your science ignorance lies? Isn't that why people discuss science on science discussion forums, to reduce their ignorance in very specific areas?

So if this is all true, why do you have this attitude that your idea is being mishandled by wannabes? It's pretty clear that you've got more need for clarification than collaboration.

No big shift in the polar angle for that earthquake (11 Mar 2011) (though something interesting happened near new Year's Day 2006)

I asked a colleague in the Earth Orientation department. The interesting behavior was likely the combined effect of several influences of varying frequencies and amplitudes all acting in the same direction for a spell. A "perfect storm", as he put it. The only way an earthquake could be noticed is if someone was taking the data at the same time (and since the data taking is not continuous, it's a longshot that this would happen)

Seeing how you got deserved criticism for your ridiculous idea and the certainly false notion that your room shrunk, I will comment on this:

P.S You can continue the ridicule about my theory "Life(Fossilised flesh) to the core" and include this additional earthquake wobbles and meteorites falling to explain layers but still you can't change the fact of coal below rock and a lots of rock looking exactly like flesh including some with complete colour, coincidence? I think not.

It is absolutely shameful that you would make claims such as these. It is the incredibly simple notion of the randomness of variety. Some clouds look like faces and flesh? Does that I can make a theory that they are some kind of fossils of pre-historic birds? Because that's exactly what you're doing. There is a VAST amount of rock, coal and other ''earthly'' materials. It is only natural that some would resemble something you recognize. In fact, it would be nearly impossible, by pure randomness, that none would look exactly like faces or animals.

It is shameful that you would go on to counter something as elaborate as science with something as foolish as your post.

Science has years and years of research and evidence built upon it, discovered by the most advanced minds. You are countering that with ''look this rock looks like an animal so it must be an animal''. It's rude, to be honest.

Forgive me for going off topic, mods, but this thread wasn't going anywhere anyway.

About 10 years ago I was having a coffee at the golf club one Friday (might have been a Tuesday) morning. I was on my own waiting to go and practice or play. I stood up and looked outside at the 18th green and BAM - all of a sudden it felt as though I Had accelerated fast by about 2 foot to the side... The feeling was in my brain/head - I felt nothing in the rest of my body, just this sudden sideways 'shove to the side. It was a little nauseating at first but it passes quickly.

Many things went through my thoughts... was the earth displaced? (no) was it a quake? (no), did anyone else notice this? (looks around - no).... was it imagination?... (hmmm doubt it, felt VERY real). Was it a tiny tiny stroke or blood lot moving? (Maybe, how would I know). I still do not know what that was... maybe I should have reported it to a doctor, but it never happened again and I had a busy day of golf practice planned so I just carried on.

Whatever it was - I am pretty sure the occurrence was biological rather than physical. Maybe the same goes for the perception of the room moving for the OP? Hard to tell.

I had something similar happen to me a few years ago. It came out of nowhere, and all of a sudden I didn't know what was upright, or moving or still. It was so severe I called an ambulance thinking it was a stroke. But unlike you it persisted, and I was thoroughly checked out with full MRI scan of the head etc. Nothing faulty was found. But I still get some dizziness and headaches on a smaller scale.

My theory is that it was related to the inner ear, which is incredibly delicate. Could be mechanical, or nerve related.

But it was a hell of a shock.

All sorts of stuff is possible. We only perceive things properly, when everything is working properly.

Even a change in medication can cause amazing symptoms, on occasion.

You only have to read the small print to get an idea of what some people experience, from some fairly run-of-the-mill medicine.

Otoconia breaking off could be responsible, and would account for extreme vertigo.

Thanks. I don't think that would cause my symptoms though, because it comes and goes.

I had a bad fall as a child, hitting my head, and am deaf in one ear, and get tinnitus since the fall, so I'm guessing that that has damaged something.

But it was ok for over fifty years, apart from a bit of deafness and tinnitus.