Reality of God....

Air Between The Notes

....the bible states time & again we can only truly know God by His revealing Himself to us. That being the case, is there any sense in discussions of belief in a Creator or the alternative of nothing + lots of time ='s everything.

If not Supernaturally drawn to Him one won't see that science does nothing but prove His existence or the other side of the coin, there is no need of breaking away from the popular stream of conscience as chance is the queen of science with no room for the chance of a Creator.

What do you think?

I don't see how science "proves" a creator's existence. Science doesn't "prove" anything. It weighs the evidence in a carefully controlled methodology designed to minimize subjectivity, and shows us which explanation has the preponderance and is therefore most aligned with reality.

By siding with the most likely explanations, science doesn't have to claim there's no room for a creator, just that one isn't necessary. The stance on god(s) is that we have no evidence for or against. The god(s) that insists on being unobservable actually preclude the use of science in the first place. All natural things are observable in some fashion, and science is interested in natural things.

....the bible states time & again we can only truly know God by His revealing Himself to us. That being the case, is there any sense in discussions of belief in a Creator or the alternative of nothing + lots of time ='s everything.

If not Supernaturally drawn to Him one won't see that science does nothing but prove His existence or the other side of the coin, there is no need of breaking away from the popular stream of conscience as chance is the queen of science with no room for the chance of a Creator.

What do you think?

Science evolves and science is not science if it can't change. If they find evidence for a God then that will find it's place in the 'world of science'.

In a sense, science is not about proving things, 100% proof does not exist in science.

You can only 'prove' a (scientific) theory because you can't disprove it.

That's why atheism is the lack of the belief in deities and not knowledge concerning the non existence of deities. Agnosticism points to the absence of knowledge.

Edited by Itoero

....the bible states time & again we can only truly know God by His revealing Himself to us.

The babel fish argument seems appropriate.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

Edited by dimreepr

What do you think?

Why would you give any credence to what the bible says... as opposed to any other god mythologies?

How about accept Him as Sovereign, a though thing for those of us in the new world as we don't see being under someone's right to reign over us in this new free land.

I have no problems with professions of faith, and expressions of hope. These things often provide comfort and a feeling of centeredness some can't find any other way.

But for some of us who find these things in the natural world, your willingness to actually mold your life, change the way you live, and make major decisions based on Iron Age superstitions that have no observable manifestations in reality seems ridiculous in the extreme. It's why we worry someone like you or Sarah Palin could get codes to nuclear missiles and decide that it's Armageddon time, and you might kill us all because you thought your god(s) wanted you to.

Your faith scares rational people.

We are to be conduits for Perfect Love to shine through into a dark world lighting it & not ever sitting waiting with a finger poised over a button, there seems to be some misunderstanding in ideology here.

Please take a look at your responses, both here in this thread, and in most of the threads you're involved with. Notice how they rarely address the points the other people in this discussion bring up? Notice how you just keep standing on your soapbox, shouting out what you believe, no matter what anyone else is saying?

That's what we call preaching here. It tells us you have no intention of learning from anyone here, but rather have come to push your flavor of the 9000 different versions of Christianity and nothing will stop you. It's not what we do here, it's not discussion, and it's just irritating as hell because you try so hard to use science, a thing you barely understand, to argue about something nobody can understand.

...or we could all have a tendency to twist science into a religion justifying an outcome the way we want it to appear to us individually so we can worship it?

I do not worship science or anything else. Science is repeatable to predictable, no faith or belief is necessary or allowed. If you can't show it then you don't know it...

How about accept Him as Sovereign, a though thing for those of us in the new world as we don't see being under someone's right to reign over us in this new free land.

How about you accept that He's a fairy story - a crutch for those who can't cope with reality.

Cut to the chase- what evidence do you think you have that He exists?

If we consider the Universe a big machine, then according to laws of mechanics, there cannot be a self-perpetuating machine. A machine cannot create itself.

And if we consider the Universe a big cookie, then according to the laws of baking, there cannot be a self-cooking cookie. A cookie cannot bake itself. But guess what? The universe is not a MF cookie!

Strange has a good point Air... It doesn't matter what the bible says as it is full of errors and provable falsehoods, so why should we selectively believe bits of it that support your argument?

Strange has a good point Air... It doesn't matter what the bible says as it is full of errors and provable falsehoods, so why should we selectively believe bits of it that support your argument?

You shouldn't and you should; just because her argument is wrong doesn't mean there is no argument.

Prove a god is real and I will consider him as sovereign, do you really submit to something that has no evidence of it's existence? You may as well worship the invisible dragon I keep in my garage.

Note to other members, has this person become our pet troll or is she subject to the same rules we all are? So far she has yet to answer a question in any way but quoting an ancient book of mythology which in it's self is not evidence but a claim that requires evidence.

I honestly would like to talk to this person about the question but she must give us more than empty platitudes and bible quotes.

I have asked her direct questions and i get ignored or given empty platitudes that make no sense in the reality of the world...

Edited by Moontanman

Note to other members, has this person become our pet troll or is she subject to the same rules we all are? So far she has yet to answer a question in any way but quoting an ancient book of mythology which in it's self is not evidence but a claim that requires evidence.

I honestly would like to talk to this person about the question but she must give us more than empty platitudes and bible quotes.

I have asked her direct questions and i get ignored or given empty platitudes that make no sense in the reality of the world...

It's traditional: Religion claims to answer the Big Questions- but, in fact, it can't even answer the little ones.