Off-topic: Are there any treatments for severe depression which do not involve medication?

MSC

On 6/12/2022 at 3:53 PM, iNow said:

I’ve been hearing a lot lately about strategic use of ketamine with seriously good results, but that’s clearly pharmaceutical. 

Similar positive results are being had with psilocybin (of the magic mushrooms variety) under guided conditions. 

All the energy for depression that’s otherwise resistant to standard treatment, however, appears to be with ketamine according to my various neuroscience feeds. 

I've heard the strategic use of not being a hostile cunt to people can also work wonders. So perhaps if you would learn to shut up and stop hounding people with mental health issues, stop being so brutal, stop edgelording and stop gaslighting people when people rightly question your motives some progress could be made. 

15 minutes ago, MSC said:

I've heard the strategic use of not being a hostile cunt to people can also work wonders. So perhaps if you would learn to shut up and stop hounding people with mental health issues, stop being so brutal, stop edgelording and stop gaslighting people when people rightly question your motives some progress could be made. 

Wow, that went south quickly; here take a toke...

2 hours ago, MigL said:

A toke might help to calm him down; and so would respecting his opinions, and not pushing him to the edge ( like last time ).

Last times, plural. But sure… blame us. That works, too.

image.thumb.jpeg.cb28d2c3125e09ce58c1c675243e7cb5.jpeg

I think one of the main reasons for societies increasing numbers of depression is, we are encouraged to believe we're special and that if we aren't "the best we can be" we fail, full stop.

That somehow our parents are automatically imbued with parental love/obligation and if not, my none-specialness is their fault.

I think it's important to forgive us for being human; kryptonian's can just fuck off...

11 hours ago, NTuft said:

Cold read: Psyilocybin.

Amantia Muscaria.

Heavy Compound Lifts: see Rippetoe.

1Vagal Nerve Breathing (like your cat):
6 second inhale while you apply Mulabandha root-lock: lower abs, anus, and kegel

3 second Breath hold

9 second Breath exhale while constricting the throat as two cylinders - say HA! - vibrating through constriction to stimulate Vagus.
3 second Breath hold

Repeat 20x. Repeat 2x.

"Pipe Breathing"

1--Mme Whoop Yo' Ass on ResearchTM

--GAotU

Way to read the room... 😉

Edited by dimreepr

15 hours ago, Phi for All said:

What year is it?

...in which parallel Universe.. ? ;)

15 hours ago, Phi for All said:

How many fingers am I holding up?

..discuss like this, and it will end up like with Koti... ;)

Edited by Sensei

On 6/27/2022 at 7:06 AM, Intoscience said:

I think it goes deeper than that

Most people don't think that deeply...

My Grandfather used to crudely put it, "we are all born, we all eat, sleep, fart, piss and shit then we die. It's our legacy what makes us special, not the here and now"

So basically, your grandfather agrees with me???

I think this was his way of saying that we are all equal, but each of us can choose to spend our lives being proactive for the greater good, or not. 

The greater good of what? 

We are all equal, equally capable of not being special: and I blame you/dad/mum/friend/colleague/countryman/etc. in case you were wondering!!!!

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

We are all equal, equally capable of not being special: and I blame you/dad/mum/friend/colleague/countryman/etc. in case you were wondering!!!!

So you eschew personal responsibility?  

23 hours ago, dimreepr said:

The greater good of the majority I guess.

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

I was aiming for ironic sarcasm...

fisherman parable.jpg

Define personal, successful, responsibility... 

'because I have caught enough fish for the day' But what about tomorrow? 

Personally I'd go out and catch enough fish for tomorrow today. But then I would not do as the industrialist suggests in fear of expending all resources and missing out on smelling the roses during the journey rather than leaving it to the end. 

28 minutes ago, Intoscience said:

The greater good of the majority I guess.

The greater good of the majority depends on you, if you think about it...

Smiling-is-infectious-2-560x770.png

A single smile does not a summer make, but it can be the start of spring (ooooomg I am wise, go figure😇)...

3 hours ago, swansont said:

Can we get back to the topic of the OP? Telling someone to smile, or to relax, is not dealing with depression

Rubbish. If anyone knew anything about depression, it was Spike Milligan. And if you read it a bit more carefully, you'll see that he's advising the WORLD to smile, not offering trying to smile as a cure to those who are depressed. 

Quote wikipedia : " He had bipolar disorder for most of his life, having several serious mental breakdowns, several lasting over a year.[57][58] He spoke candidly about his condition and its effect on his life: " 

If Spike said it, it's probably good advice.

46 minutes ago, mistermack said:

Rubbish. If anyone knew anything about depression, it was Spike Milligan.

!

Moderator Note

If you were Spike Milligan offering his insight, it might mean something.

46 minutes ago, mistermack said:

And if you read it a bit more carefully, you'll see that he's advising the WORLD to smile, not offering trying to smile as a cure to those who are depressed. 

!

Moderator Note

Yes, exactly. It’s off-topic in a thread about depression, because as you have just admitted, it’s not about depression. 

22 hours ago, swansont said:
!

Moderator Note

Can we get back to the topic of the OP? Telling someone to smile, or to relax, is not dealing with depression

I think it fundamentally answers the OP, any treatment for depression that doesn't involve medication has to be communicated and for that we need a common language and what better place to start; a smile may not be the answer (I seldom get angry with a smile on my face), but it is a step on the path...

"Telling" anyone to do anything is not a good approach for someone suffering with depression. Best to subtly/tactfully suggest or gently encourage rather than telling. The key is to get the person to realise for themselves in their own way, so they feel like they have made a positive decision for themselves or others close to them. Tricky when they currently feel like everything is pointless.  

3 minutes ago, Intoscience said:

"Telling" anyone to do anything is not a good approach for someone suffering with depression. Best to subtly/tactfully suggest or gently encourage rather than telling. The key is to get the person to realise for themselves in their own way, so they feel like they have made a positive decision for themselves or others close to them. Tricky when they currently feel like everything is pointless.  

I'm not telling you to smile, I'm just smiling at you...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.