The intent of Israel bombing AP/Al Jazeera offices

StringJunky

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Associated Press’ top editor on Sunday called for an independent investigation into the Israeli airstrike that targeted and destroyed a Gaza City building housing the AP, broadcaster Al-Jazeera and other media, saying the public deserves to know the facts.

Separately, media watchdog Reporters Without Borders asked the International Criminal Court to investigate Israel’s bombing of a building housing the media organizations as a possible war crime.

Sally Buzbee, AP’s executive editor, said the Israeli government has yet to provide clear evidence supporting its attack, which leveled the 12-story al-Jalaa tower.

The Israeli military, which gave AP journalists and other tenants about an hour to evacuate, claimed Hamas used the building for a military intelligence office and weapons development. Israeli military spokesman Lt. Col. Jonathan Conricus said Israel was compiling evidence for the U.S. but declined to commit to providing it within the next two days.

https://apnews.com/article/middle-east-israel-business-israel-palestinian-conflict-government-and-politics-abd641af1607fbae7f49e1cce7dbc49e

Is this some attempt on Israel's part to stifle dissemination  of news in Gaza territory.... cutting the area off from reliable external information to the Gazans?

14 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Is this some attempt on Israel's part to stifle dissemination  of news in Gaza territory.... cutting the area off from reliable external information to the Gazans?

I suspect this is part of it, sure. Your take / question here, though, actually considers the situation from the opposite direction than where my own thoughts on this were. My sense was that this destruction of the broadcast building was more about preventing news about what's going on there from getting OUT of Gaza and visible to the rest of the world instead of preventing information from getting IN to Gaza so they have reliable external info, but surely there are elements of both. 

26 minutes ago, iNow said:

I suspect this is part of it, sure. Your take / question here, though, actually considers the situation from the opposite direction than where my own thoughts on this were. My sense was that this destruction of the broadcast building was more about preventing news about what's going on there from getting OUT of Gaza and visible to the rest of the world instead of preventing information from getting IN to Gaza so they have reliable external info, but surely there are elements of both. 

A little more light on the subject, could provide an answer...

32 minutes ago, iNow said:

Yes, I looked at it both ways and saw that the possible intent worked both ways. Seems like a serious Israeli faux pas to me. The AP are about the most neutral and respected news organisation anywhere.

3 hours ago, dimreepr said:

A little more light on the subject, could provide an answer...

Yes of course ...

Instead of the usual Israel bashing, and jumping to conclusions about their 'fascist' motives, maybe we should investigate ALL the possibilities.

It's not like Hamas. the PLO, or Authority, or any other group has shied away from using people as pawns in their terrorist agenda.
They have fired rockets from hospitals, schools, and, it seems to me, the biggest bang for your buck would be if they forced Israel to retaliate against a building housing news organizations. What better way to shame the Israelis and let the world know of their despicable actions.

But let's not investigate whether rockets were actually fired from the AP building, let's just blame Israel as always; it's fashionable isn't it ?

50 minutes ago, MigL said:

But let's not investigate whether rockets were actually fired from the AP building, let's just blame Israel as always; it's fashionable isn't it ?

Aren't you assuming it's "blame as always"? This seems different, with LOTS of unrest inside Israel's borders lately. And much of that violence looks almost identical to the racist, extremist-right reaction to BLM protests in the US and other places with fascist leadership, like Italy, Hungary, Brazil, Syria, Russia, and others. This is a systemic problem where an ethnic majority has marginalized a healthy percentage of the citizens of the country for too long and the situation has grown intolerable. 

I don't absolve Israel for some of the blame in this latest mess.
The Israelis have their conservative ( fascist to some ) and Orthodox, who think it is their God-given right to bulldoze peoples homes and expand Jewish settlements.
Also, it seems that every time a Democrat President gets elected, the Iranians, through their terrorist arm, Hamas, try to test his 'fortitude'. Invariably, just as happened at the start of B Obama's Presidency, Hamas fires a bunch of Iranian supplied rockets into Israel, and the Israelis take the bait, and retaliate.
The maximum impact, is when the israelis are forced to retaliate against schools, hospitals and buildings housing foreign press.

The mistake I see is people 'reaching' for reasons, such as Israel trying to 'cover-up' information from entring or leaving, and jumping to biased conclusions without ALL information.
( and you don't do that by taking down a building housing foreign press; it's pretty well in the news immedately )
Apparently J Biden is satisfied with the intel provided, that warranted retaliation against aggressors housed in that building.

Given the choice, Phi, would you rather live in that 'fascist' state, Israel, or any other country in that area ?
And why is that ?

The Palestinians biggest problem is not Israel, but their supposedly representative Governments, who care more about their 'cause' than their people.

Edited by MigL

21 minutes ago, MigL said:

The Palestinians biggest problem is not Israel, but their supposedly representative Governments, who care more about their 'cause' than their people.

Sounds like Netanyahu, sounds like Bolsonaro, sounds like Trump, sounds like Modi, sounds like Putin, sounds like Orban, sounds like the other commanders leading places where nationalism, racism, and capitalism get blended and bent in extreme ways. The problem is extremism and the people who push for it above all else. 

We have to start filtering for smart instead of loud when it comes to our leadership, imo. These fascists use megaphones instead of reason, and the noise scares thinking humans and just attracts the animals.

37 minutes ago, MigL said:

Given the choice, Phi, would you rather live in that 'fascist' state, Israel, or any other country in that area ?

I've just had a small taste of fascist leadership, so I've learned my "druthers" have nothing to do with living under such a regime. Extremism allows crazy people to say crazy things, which sanctions other people to say them until people start actually doing crazy things. I could stay in Cyprus, but the region is overrun with extremists, including the Israeli leadership at the moment. It's not really a matter of choosing which of the Abrahamic religious states is best for me. 

1 hour ago, MigL said:

23 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

The problem is extremism and the people who push for it above all else. 

Extremism allows crazy people to say crazy things, which sanctions other people to say them until people start actually doing crazy things.

A lot of truth in those statements above, particulalrly with the extremism comments, which applies to other scenarios also that I won't go into at this stage, as I would be digressing. 

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

We have to start filtering for smart instead of loud when it comes to our leadership, imo. These fascists use megaphones instead of reason, and the noise scares thinking humans and just attracts the animals.

Eh, I am not sure that I would like smart fascists over dumb ones, though.

4 hours ago, MigL said:

Instead of the usual Israel bashing, and jumping to conclusions about their 'fascist' motives <…> let's just blame Israel as always; it's fashionable isn't it ?

Oh, please. This isn’t about the Israeli people or even about the country itself. This is all about Benjamin Netanyahu being at his weakest ever point since first getting elected, being unable to even form a coalition government, and facing numerous corruption charges. This response is his way to deflect and redirect attention so he can retain power like all good autocratic leaders do. It’s part of the playbook, and we’ve seen this exact movie plot multiple times before. 

Jews made impressive transformation.. Impressive in very bad sense.. Transformation from nation which was bulk exterminated during II world war - tragedy which aroused sympathy and compassion in hearts of people around the world..

Now they regained status of the most hated nation of the world. Impressive degradation..

3 hours ago, iNow said:

Oh, please...

If you mean to say that leadership is failing on both sides, obviously I cannot disagree.

However, what is needed is for one side or the other to say "Let bygones be bygones", and lay down their weapons.
If the Palestinians do so ( and get rid of Hamas ), there will be a somewhat workable peace.
If the Israelis do so ( and get rid of B Netanyahu ), there will be no more Israel.

Edited by MigL

1 hour ago, MigL said:

what is needed is for one side or the other to say "Let bygones be bygones", and lay down their weapons.

I tend to agree, and also acknowledge that if easy answers were available here they’d have been implemented decades ago.

As best I can tell, Bibi has declined all attempts from other nations, from the UN, and from Palestinians leaders themselves to move forward with a cease fire… rejecting those overtures saying that assaults will persist until they’re satisfied sufficient damage has been done to Palestinian battle capabilities.

Basically, the beatings will continue until morale improves… 

1 hour ago, MigL said:

If the Israelis do so ( and get rid of B Netanyahu ), there will be no more Israel.

This seems hyperbolic and straight out of Bibis reelection messaging campaign. 

12 minutes ago, MigL said:

In the last 8 days, Hamas has indescriminately fired 3,350 rockets into Israeli population centres.
How's that for improving morale ?

It shows that the Iron Dome our US annual $3B+ investment in Israel built seems to be working pretty well. 

The current outbreak of fighting began with a series of controversial Israeli actions in Jerusalem — including the attempted eviction of Palestinian families in East Jerusalem by right-wing Jewish settlers, an Israeli police raid on Palestinian worshippers at al-Aqsa Mosque, and a planned provocative march by far-right Israelis — that prompted Hamas to fire a barrage of rockets at Jerusalem and other major cities in Israel. Israel responded with devastating airstrikes in the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip.

Both sides have continued their back-and-forth attacks for days, resulting in hundreds of deaths and widespread property damage, mostly but not exclusively on the Palestinian side, and the destruction of the Gaza media offices of Al Jazeera and the Associated Press in an Israeli strike.

Meanwhile, communal violence between Arab and Jewish Israelis has broken out on the streets of cities across Israel at a level unseen in years, a troubling sign of just how fractured Israeli society has become.

Every coin has 3 sides. 

Any bets that Putin and his minions have helped feed the discord?

(And are continuing to do so right now in our various social feeds)

Edited by iNow

Don;t know about V Putin and any interests he might have in the area.
But certainly other actors are thinly veiled.

Just exactly how do 3350 rockets ( and counting ) get into Gaza, when the borders are tightly controlled, yet people argue for the relaxation of those controls.

1 minute ago, MigL said:

Don;t know about V Putin and any interests he might have in the area

His interests are less about the area and more about destabilization more broadly… to erode the foundations of democratic principles themselves. 

2 minutes ago, MigL said:

exactly how do 3350 rockets ( and counting ) get into Gaza, when the borders are tightly controlled, yet people argue for the relaxation of those controls.

No matter how tight you make it, it will never have zero porosity. Human ingenuity is a beautiful thing, although sometimes regrettable. 

I recommend we focus a bit less on trying to further tighten already tight border controls (symptoms) and focus a bit more on removing the reasons the Palestinians have been so upset for decades to begin with (root cause). 

I also acknowledge how extremely simple it is to type this and how extremely hard it is to achieve this. 

11 hours ago, MigL said:

However, what is needed is for one side or the other to say "Let bygones be bygones", and lay down their weapons.
If the Palestinians do so ( and get rid of Hamas ), there will be a somewhat workable peace.

So Israel is defined by their intractable, violent nature, and would fail as a nation if they took the first step towards peace? 

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

So Israel is defined by their intractable, violent nature, and would fail as a nation if they took the first step towards peace? 

Only in their mind, for instance; the ISS demanded a male and female part's, to integrate properly; neither party was willing to be a female; even though, more money and resources is needed, to prove otherwise; what's so wrong with a female perspective?

It's like asking, why is mother wrong?

4 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Only in their mind, for instance; the ISS demanded a male and female part's, to integrate properly; neither party was willing to be a female; even though, more money and resources is needed, to prove otherwise; what's so wrong with a female perspective?

It's like asking, why is mother wrong?

I understood the first four words, and struggle mightily to find how the rest applies to the discussion.

11 hours ago, MigL said:

Don't know about V Putin and any interests he might have in the area.

The spread of disturbance around the world..

Just exactly how do 3350 rockets ( and counting ) get into Gaza, when the borders are tightly controlled, yet people argue for the relaxation of those controls.

They are homemade.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qassam_rocket

14 hours ago, MigL said:

Just to remind you the plot of the events:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/07/world/middleeast/evictions-jerusalem-israeli-palestinian-conflict-protest.html

Edited by Sensei