Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi all some questions

for the asteroid on April 30. According to NASA it will be 16 times further than the earth to the moon. 
 

1- How can they know this for sure?

2- How do we know they are being honest with the distances?

3- are they the Only ones able to make these calculations?

4- Several news sites had articles that it would hit and this was secret info from NASA?

5- another site claimed that the Coronavirus was brought up to keep people isolated because of this asteroid to avoid mass panic, so how do we know what’s real vs fiction on this?

These things make it hard to determine what is right dosent it?

thank you 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

These things make it hard to determine what is right dosent it?

If you provide some reference supporting your statements some memeber may take a look. And refute statements about any asteroid collision in the near future.

There are lots of people around the globe trying their best to fight the virus and it's consequences. I do not se how posting this crap on a science site and trying to promote the spread conspiracy bull is helping. 

Edited by Ghideon
added a small rant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

If you provide some reference supporting your statements some memeber may take a look. And refute statements about any asteroid collision in the near future.

I am trying to find the articles, I saw them a few weeks ago while I was suspended.

 

i guess I am looking more for information on this specific asteroid, and how trajectory is calculated and how much can we trust those numbers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

1- How can they know this for sure?

By tracking its position over time and calculating the orbit.

17 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

2- How do we know they are being honest with the distances?

Why wouldn't they? 

But if you are going to doubt them (and every other observer tracking it) then you might as well assume the the whole world is fake. Everything is just an act put on to fool you, like The Truman Show.

18 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

3- are they the Only ones able to make these calculations?

No.

18 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

5- another site claimed that the Coronavirus was brought up to keep people isolated because of this asteroid to avoid mass panic, so how do we know what’s real vs fiction on this?

Because NASA (and other astronomers) are scientists.

Why would you trust "another site"? What is this "other site"?

19 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

These things make it hard to determine what is right dosent it?

No.

If you search for "finding reliable scientific information" you can find lots of articles that will help you. (Of course, I can't guarantee all those will be reliable!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

 

5- another site claimed that the Coronavirus was brought up to keep people isolated because of this asteroid to avoid mass panic, so how do we know what’s real vs fiction on this?

We weren't going to tell you yet... but since you figured it out...just don't tell the others (there's still a small percentage in every country that aren't in on it)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

i guess I am looking more for information on this specific asteroid, and how trajectory is calculated and how much can we trust those numbers 

Which astroid you are looking for information about? I guess its 52768 1998OR2.

1: Look at ESA web as an alternative to NASA: http://neo.ssa.esa.int/search-for-asteroids?sum=1&des=52768 1998OR2
2: Click on orbit visualisation to get a simulation for the asteroid's orbit an distance from earth

Now , if you do not trust ESA or NASA I guess you could buy a sufficiently large telescope to review the observations claimed by others. And/or learning the required math (or using a simulator) to verify that the observed trajectory will predict that 52768 1998OR2 safely passes earth without collision. But why bother? What reason is there to suspect that 52768 1998OR2 is dangerous?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You seem to convince yourself of horrific outcomes for simple events, Bmpbmp1975.
( doomsdayscenariophobia ? )

Must be terrifying living in your world, so you probably don't leave the house much.
Are we your only source of social interaction ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

These things make it hard to determine what is right dosent it?

 

 

 

People get emails from Nigerian Princes who are asking for a little money to help getting their vast money out of the country, in exchange for sharing that vast money.

Some people send those "princes" money , get asked for more money; and in the end never see any of it again.

Other people ignore and delete the spam, because they have working bullshit detectors.

 

Your bullshit detector is broken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Suppose an asteroid was found that would totally wipe out humans on Earth, would that info get out?  Could it be suppressed to avoid a long period of mass panic?  Imagine living in a world were everybody knows there is only one month to live. 🥶

Edited by Airbrush

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

Suppose an asteroid was found that would totally wipe out humans on Earth, would that info get out?  Could it be suppressed to avoid a long period of mass panic?  Imagine living in a world were everybody knows there is only one month to live. 🥶

Besides pro astronomers on the case, I'm sure there's plenty of keen amateurs interested in them as well. It would be impossible to put a plug on it. Not that I think NASA or ESA would suppress anything. They are scientists, not politicians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So this is real then?

sorry fat fingered was I was typing.

what I meant was so this is real then in your mind airbrush?

Edited by Bmpbmp1975

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Airbrush said:

Imagine living in a world were everybody knows there is only one month to live.

Maybe you should join a conspiracy forum, and save these kind of posts for that forum.
we don't deal with imaginary topics here.
They are inherently difficult to discuss.

Just now, Bmpbmp1975 said:

So this is real then?

Yes.
Go back to bed and cover your head with your pillow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

...what I meant was so this is real then in your mind airbrush?

No, and I'm sorry to give you that impression.  I was not clear that my question was merely a "what if?"  Your subject just called the question to my mind.  That means I went off topic.  Sorry about that.  Most people here believe the "bad news" could not be covered up by governments.  The scientists would leak it out.

30 minutes ago, MigL said:

Maybe you should join a conspiracy forum, and save these kind of posts for that forum.
we don't deal with imaginary topics here.
They are inherently difficult to discuss.

I'm not speculating anything imaginary, I'm only asking an obvious question, how likely would we know if a major impact would happen?  It seems the consensus here is that YES WE WOULD KNOW.  If it was coming from near the sun, from the worst angle, we might not know until just hours or minutes before the impact.

Edited by Airbrush

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

This was the edited version of the original particle I read 

Perhaps you could do yourself a favor and use better sources when it comes to anything concerning science. Did you read all the corrections to the original they had to make?

Protip: Accuracy and rigor should be the focus when reading about science, so don't choose popular entertainment formats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Perhaps you could do yourself a favor and use better sources when it comes to anything concerning science. Did you read all the corrections to the original they had to make?

Protip: Accuracy and rigor should be the focus when reading about science, so don't choose popular entertainment formats.

It was an article that popped up on facebook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

This was the edited version of the original particle I read 

The Express is not the worst tabloid in the UK. But I certainly wouldn't use it as a source of reliable information. 

Why not? Because it is a British tabloid. 

1 hour ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

It was an article that popped up on facebook

Also not renowned as a source of reliable or true information. 

It sounds like you are getting your news from sources that I would dismiss as being either completely untrue or extremely inaccurate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Airbrush said:

Suppose an asteroid was found that would totally wipe out humans on Earth, would that info get out?  Could it be suppressed to avoid a long period of mass panic?  Imagine living in a world were everybody knows there is only one month to live. 🥶

!

Moderator Note

That’s not the topic of this thread

 

 

On 3/28/2020 at 3:16 PM, Bmpbmp1975 said:

 5- another site claimed that the Coronavirus was brought up to keep people isolated because of this asteroid to avoid mass panic, so how do we know what’s real vs fiction on this?

!

Moderator Note

PSA to all: a reminder that we are not going to entertain conspiracy discussion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the original question

On 3/28/2020 at 8:16 PM, Bmpbmp1975 said:

How do we know they are being honest with the distances?

Many organisations (an I guess also individuals with proper equipment and interest) try do discover, catalogue and track Near Earth Objects*. One such initiative is Spaceguard**. when an object is discovered potentially many individuals and organisations will know about the object before it is know if there is any danger due to the objects expected trajectory. My best guess is that since many are involved and have possibility to validate and confirm observations and calculations the chase that serious mistakes would slip through is reduced. Which on an abstract level apply to pretty much any area in science.

 

(This also addresses (off topic) question about coverups; knowledge about the objects existence is likely widely spread before knowing if there is any danger or not.)

 

 

*) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-Earth_object
**) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaceguard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

when an object is discovered potentially many individuals and organisations will know about the object before it is know if there is any danger due to the objects expected trajectory. My best guess is that since many are involved and have possibility to validate and confirm observations and calculations the chase that serious mistakes would slip through is reduced. Which on an abstract level apply to pretty much any area in science.

There is a system called The Astronomer's Telegram* where astronomers post information about their observations so other people can follow up and make their own observations. This is particularly important when there are things like a new supernova or black hole merger, so that multiple observatories (professional and amateur) can quickly look to gather as much information as possible.

Astronomy is one of the few sciences where amateurs discover new objects and provide useful data from their observations. 

http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the sizes I have seen is 2.1 km and some say 4km.

whats thé actual size 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

So the sizes I have seen is 2.1 km and some say 4km.

whats thé actual size 

Both of the sources provided in this thread, so far, say (about) 2.1 km. 

http://neo.ssa.esa.int/search-for-asteroids?sum=1&des=52768 1998OR2

http://www.minorplanet.info/PHP/generateOneAsteroidInfo.php?AstInfo=52768|

I don't know who "some" are, but presumably they are wrong. Or perhaps have confused radius and diameter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

So the sizes I have seen is 2.1 km and some say 4km.

whats thé actual size 

!

Moderator Note

Please get in the habit of citing your sources.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.