Shield

Superboy

So, I have an interesting idea. My idea is to build a technology that is able to counter act any force applied to it( if somebody were to throw a punch, this technology  would counter act the force applied and make it to where the force from the punch goes back to the hand that threw the punch). The problem is that I don’t know where to begin with building this device, so if someone can point me in the direction of some sites that can help me or books or videos or even what I need to begin building, that would be greatly appreciated.  Look forward to what you all have to tell me. 

1 hour ago, Superboy said:

So, I have an interesting idea. My idea is to build a technology that is able to counter act any force applied to it( if somebody were to throw a punch, this technology  would counter act the force applied and make it to where the force from the punch goes back to the hand that threw the punch). The problem is that I don’t know where to begin with building this device, so if someone can point me in the direction of some sites that can help me or books or videos or even what I need to begin building, that would be greatly appreciated.  Look forward to what you all have to tell me. 

Already exists. It's called Newton's third law. When a puch lands, it already experiences an equal force directed back onto it.

2 hours ago, Superboy said:

So, I have an interesting idea. My idea is to build a technology that is able to counter act any force applied to it( if somebody were to throw a punch, this technology  would counter act the force applied and make it to where the force from the punch goes back to the hand that threw the punch). 

Bruce Lee had the same idea, which is a part of Jeet Kune Do. If your opponent moves toward you with his fist, you strike his fist. If he moves toward you with a kick, you strike his foot.

When the distance is wide, the attacking opponent requires some sort of preparation. Therefore, attack him on his preparation of attack. To reach me, you must move to me. Your attack offers me an opportunity to intercept you." This means intercepting an opponent's attack with an attack of one's own instead of simply blocking it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeet_Kune_Do

10 hours ago, zapatos said:

Bruce Lee had the same idea, which is a part of Jeet Kune Do. If your opponent moves toward you with his fist, you strike his fist. If he moves toward you with a kick, you strike his foot.

Good call! This is true, however the philosophy behind Bruce Lee’s training goes much deeper; check out the last minute of this video where a trained martial artist is kicking a practioner of Taoist arts. When asked what is going on, the kicker replies that the force of the kick is reflecting back to himself.

20:50 onwards for less than a minute.

s://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XuW4UfaC

Enjoy!

14 hours ago, Superboy said:

In what way would, for example, a heavy brick wall not meet this requirement?

2 minutes ago, Scott of the Antares said:

It may reflect the imparted force, but looking back at the OPs post, I don’t think it would be practical for somebody to wear a ‘heavy brick wall’ to reflect punches!

You could wear a suit of armour and lean against a brick wall.

3 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

You could wear a suit of armour and lean against a brick wall.

I suppose you could! I have more of an affinity for the less armoured but more mobile oriental styles, which rely more on skill. I suppose that is all fine unless one has little skill. When it comes to defence, this is seen in whether the practioner performs a block (lower skill), a parry (higher skill), or a ward off (highest skill).

If you want to make a shield to actively block physical impact, I can imagine a solution that works in an atmosphere. You could train a neural network to recognize attack patterns via cameras on critical points of the object or person you want to protect and shatter incoming threats with a concentrated sonic blast. 

17 minutes ago, Scott of the Antares said:

When it comes to defense, this is seen in whether the practitioner performs a block (lower skill), a parry (higher skill), or a ward off (highest skill).

...there is also "the art of fighting without fighting"... ;)

...my favorite one.. ;)

17 minutes ago, Sensei said:

...there is also "the art of fighting without fighting"... ;)

...my favorite one.. ;)

This story is a classic for sure:) Having the awareness to avoid dangerous situations is better than having to fight and risk injury. 

A long time ago I knew a retired boxer who used to be a bouncer for a country pub that seemed to attract the wrong sort. Once some troublemakers inisited on fighting, he agreed but asked that they fought outside. As they walked to the door, he smashed the pair of them over their heads with a barstool. A similar form of deception, but without a boat on hand to offer a peaceful outcome. This became his ‘go to’ routine to effectively and safely end a fight. Ahh, the good ‘old days lol.

26 minutes ago, Scott of the Antares said:

This story is a classic for sure :) Having the awareness to avoid dangerous situations is better than having to fight and risk injury. 

You didn't understand this story correctly... It's "wisdom" versus "brutal stupid force"...

26 minutes ago, Scott of the Antares said:

A long time ago I knew a retired boxer who used to be a bouncer for a country pub that seemed to attract the wrong sort. Once some troublemakers inisited on fighting, he agreed but asked that they fought outside. As they walked to the door, he smashed the pair of them over their heads with a barstool.

If he smashed them, it's definitely not story about "the art of fighting without fighting"...

If he would get them outside, and lock the door behind them, that could be example of "the art of fighting without fighting"... (tricking somebody with his/her own wisdom)

Edited by Sensei

I find that I am less likely to lose in a fight I don't have.

If I walk out of the building where a would-be protagonist is present, then I put a brick wall between us. It has already been agreed that a solid wall is a very good shield.

If I end up in a fight with a man whose fighting skills are stronger than mine then I will come off badly. If I meet a man whose skill in avoiding a fight are stronger than mine, we both win.

What skills should I practice?

7 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

If I end up in a fight with a man whose fighting skills are stronger than mine then I will come off badly. If I meet a man whose skill in avoiding a fight are stronger than mine, we both win.

You also didn't understand it. It's story of person with the greater power, who knows his skills, but who is using his/her wisdom to avoid smashing weaker/stupider enemy..

If you're weaker and you know you're weaker and avoiding fighting, that's pretty natural.. that's not example presented in the story I showed..

7 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

What skills should I practice?

You should practice wisdom..

16 minutes ago, Sensei said:

You also didn't understand it. It's story of person with the greater power, who knows his skills, but who is using his/her wisdom to avoid smashing weaker/stupider enemy.

It's easy to be wise if one knows one can win, the art/wisdom of fighting without fighting is persuading the stronger that he/she can't win. 

Otherwise, you're just taking the piss before you beat the shit out of them (or not).

Edited by dimreepr

7 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

It's easy to be wise if one knows one can win, the art/wisdom of fighting without fighting is persuading the stronger that he/she can't win. 

Otherwise, you're just taking the piss before you beat the shit out of them.

Reminds me a lot of a passage from Sun Tsu: If you are weak, make your enemy believe you are strong; If you are strong, make the enemy believe you are weak.

Anyway we're steering off topic. Though I'd also posit that the topic is rather an engineering than a physics problem

Meanwhile, for those of us who have spent the better part of 30 yrs in bars and clubs, every weekend since 16 yrs of age, and who have never gotten into a fight....

There is such a thing in tank armor, where the usual impact comes in the way of shaped/kinetic charges meant to penetrate and disable interior occupants/systems. It is called reactive armor, the most common being explosive reactive armor.
It consists of an explosive layer sandwiched between armor plates. which explodes on incoming impact, forcing the outer armor element outwards, either defeating the force of the kinetic penetrator, or, increasing the path length for the shaped charge, metallic jet penetrator.

Originally developed by the Russians, not really sure as to how widespread its use is.

5 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I think it's more philosophical, as in, how do I protect myself?

@Superboy wasn't particularly eloquent and precise when he posed his question to the community. I choose to look at it from an engineering point of view (which I did here 

1 hour ago, YaDinghus said:

If you want to make a shield to actively block physical impact, I can imagine a solution that works in an atmosphere. You could train a neural network to recognize attack patterns via cameras on critical points of the object or person you want to protect and shatter incoming threats with a concentrated sonic blast. 

). As for philosophical points of view, I am quite partial to creative non-violent solutions. Agreeing to fight in a different location and just not showing up might seem cowardly, but as we've seen in Game of Thrones (Daenerys takes Casterly Rock without resistance, while the Lannister Army is free to pillage somewhere else), it is a prudent tactic

41 minutes ago, Sensei said:

You also didn't understand it. It's story of person with the greater power, who knows his skills, but who is using his/her wisdom to avoid smashing weaker/stupider enemy..

And you didn't understand that I do that by walking away.

42 minutes ago, Sensei said:

You should practice wisdom..

You should get a mirror.