If humanity becomes extinct...?

seriously disabled

I wonder if the human race gets extinct then what will happen to our remaining technical tools and equipments like the space station, GPS system, computers and so on ? Perhaps an alien society will seize them.

They'd better show up quickly. Those will all be gone soon after we stop maintaining them. GPS satellites might last a while because the are not in low orbit, but the ISS would only stay up a matter of years. And they'd stop functioning after a decade or thereabouts.

(And what would aliens capable of interstellar travel want with such primitive technology?)

What do you think that means and how do you suppose a dog does it?

My dog eats grass when he has a problem with shitting. Dogs don't have bacteria to digest cellulose so when they eat grass, it enlargens the poo and makes things to go more smooth...he self medicates :) (medical science)

I think it has a lot to do with your beliefs. There are people that think the Earth being only 6000 years is a scientific fact.

Edited by Itoero

My dog eats grass when he has a problem with shitting. Dogs don't have bacteria to digest cellulose so when they eat grass, it enlargens the poo and makes things to go more smooth...he self medicates :) (medical science)

I think it has a lot to do with your beliefs. There are people that think the Earth being only 6000 years is a scientific fact.

What? I don't know how to break this to you but dogs eating grass isn't science. No wonder you get confused when people ask for evidence from you.

And people believing something itself doesn't make it a fact, 'scientific' or otherwise. The difference between people believing the earth to be billions of years old versus thousands of years is evidence.

By the way, the whole dogs eat grass to make themselves better is a myth. Or 'scientific fact' by your standards.

What? I don't know how to break this to you but dogs eating grass isn't science. No wonder you get confused when people ask for evidence from you.

And people believing something itself doesn't make it a fact, 'scientific' or otherwise. The difference between people believing the earth to be billions of years old versus thousands of years is evidence.

By the way, the whole dogs eat grass to make themselves better is a myth. Or 'scientific fact' by your standards.

Why do you think it's a myth?

Our science is nothing more then a way to remain the fittest and to survive.

Why do you think it's a myth?

I walk my dogs twice a day, they always eat grass.

Our science is nothing more then a way to remain the fittest and to survive.

Being the fittest to survive has nothing to do with science, unless you want to quantify the results...

Homo sapiens will evolve into a new species at which point Homo sapiens will be extinct, yet humanity will continue.

Might evolve into a new species, and going extinct in that case is not a given; there could be a branch-off which leaves Homo sapiens existing.

Might evolve into a new species, and going extinct in that case is not a given; there could be a branch-off which leaves Homo sapiens existing.

By what we see almost every day it is obvious that we are moving steadily towards the future of the gradual blurring of what we now consider human and what will later be considered the increasingly technologically enhanced version of Homo sapiens. We may very well become extinct and evolve simultaneously. Who will decide this and where they draw that line would be interesting to know.

But to be sure though, this time we are choosing the direction of our own evolution.

I walk my dogs twice a day, they always eat grass.

Maybe they do that to shit better :)

Being the fittest to survive has nothing to do with science, unless you want to quantify the results...

Yes it does. Science is the main reason we are no longer monkeys (most of us). We use scientific knowledge to build houses, make technology...

Our science is so developed that it no longer looks like it's about survival of the fittest.

Science is an evolutionary trait and evolution works via natural selection/survival of the fittest...how can you then think science is not a survival tool?

Science will probably allow us one day to live on other planets or deal with incoming asteroids...

It will or will not allow us to survive.

It's not a fact for you, but it is for them. What about all people that believe in evolution and in a god? Edited by Itoero

It's not a fact for you, but it is for them. What about all people that believe in evolution and in a god?

Believing something does not make it a fact. That is as true of 'scientific' facts as it is religious facts. The difference is that in science we take our beliefs and test them against experiment and observation. Thus, not all beliefs are equal - some have been tested against reality. Dogs do not do this.

Maybe they do that to shit better :)

I was in the garden with my my neighbour yesterday who has a dog. We were chatting and said his Pug had been bingeing and eating aything over christmas and wasn't feeling too good from the gluttony. I noticed the dog went up to a single blade of grass, nipped it off then proceeded to chew it with apparent purpose. Didn't look like pica to me; it wasn't bored.

Edited by StringJunky

Which would hinge upon two factors:

1. Establishment of extra-terrestrial colonies that become isolated.

2. Deliberate large scale gene manipulation.

Believing something does not make it a fact. That is as true of 'scientific' facts as it is religious facts. The difference is that in science we take our beliefs and test them against experiment and observation. Thus, not all beliefs are equal - some have been tested against reality. Dogs do not do this.

But then what do you think about scientists that find God in science?

Hugh Ross is an astrophysicist and a Christian apologetic...

Cellulose makes the poo more smooth and increases the mass, I can't imagine that many carnivore species did not evolve the capability to learn this. Eating fur has +/-the same effect and intestines can work laxative.

I used to give BARF/NRF to my dog.

I was in the garden with my my neighbour yesterday who has a dog. We were chatting and said his Pug had been bingeing and eating aything over christmas and wasn't feeling too good from the gluttony. I noticed the dog went up to a single blade of grass, nipped it off then proceeded to chew it with apparent purpose. Didn't look like pica to me; it wasn't bored.

I noticed likewise behavior of my dog. I travelled a lot with my dog and I remember , while I stayed in a motel, my dog had some problem with his bowels and wanted to go out. I walked with my dog in the hope he would shit. While walking, he often ate a bit of grass when we walked over a piece of grass. Normally he never eats grass while he's on the leash.

But then what do you think about scientists that find God in science?

Hugh Ross is an astrophysicist and a Christian apologetic...

You'd have to ask him, not me. But typically belief in god is about faith, not evidence. If you believe faith takes precedence over evidence that is your prerogative, but you are no longer engaged in science.

Cellulose makes the poo more smooth and increases the mass, I can't imagine that many carnivore species did not evolve the capability to learn this. Eating fur has +/-the same effect and intestines can work laxative.

That's what you believe. According to the evidence you are wrong. Follow the link below if you want to know why.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201412/why-dogs-eat-grass-myth-debunked

That's what you believe. According to the evidence you are wrong. Follow the link below if you want to know why.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/canine-corner/201412/why-dogs-eat-grass-myth-debunked

I know that article and it's not evidence.

When dogs (or other carnivorous animals) notice some improvement because of eating grass or plants then they might eat it often if they like the taste or only when they feel sick, when they don't like the taste. My dog doesn't like the taste so he only eats it when he feels sick. I tried other green vegetables/plants but he doesn't like the taste...even when I mix it in meat.

When a dog only gets BARF, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_feeding

his poo can be very hard. (it's called concrete poo)

This happens when your dog gets to much bones or if his digestive system is not 'strong' enough. You can make the poo become less hard and increase in mass by giving vegetable/plants porridge. The more fiber/cellulose in the plants/vegetables, the softer and bigger the poo becomes.

This is a pubmed about the Effects of fiber on digestibility and transit time in dogs.

"Fecal weight and water increased linearly with added fiber"

"Intestinal transit time decreased from a mean of 37.4 to 28.7 hours with added fiber. "

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6286909

!

Moderator Note

Suddenly, everyone focused a bit more on the topic, and the thread was saved! :lol:

When dogs (or other carnivorous animals) notice some improvement because of eating grass or plants then they might eat it often if they like the taste or only when they feel sick, when they don't like the taste. My dog doesn't like the taste so he only eats it when he feels sick. I tried other green vegetables/plants but he doesn't like the taste...even when I mix it in meat.

This happens when your dog gets to much bones or if his digestive system is not 'strong' enough. You can make the poo become less hard and increase in mass by giving vegetable/plants porridge. The more fiber/cellulose in the plants/vegetables, the softer and bigger the poo becomes.

This is a pubmed about the Effects of fiber on digestibility and transit time in dogs.

"Intestinal transit time decreased from a mean of 37.4 to 28.7 hours with added fiber. "

A swing . . . . . . . . . . . and a miss. :doh:

True, the article itself isn't evidence but the study it is based on is, so here it is:

Sueda, K.L.C., Hart, B.L. & Cliff, K.D. (2008). Characterization of plant eating in dogs. Applied Animal Behavior Science, 111, 120-132.

Thanks for the links, it is an improvement.

Unfortunately nothing you cited concerns why dogs eat grass. Where in that entire study do they even mention grass? I'm not arguing against the idea that cellulose increases fecal transit time. What you have is a hypothesis: that dogs eat grass for the cellulose when they are unwell. It's fine as a hypothesis and you have some evidence suggesting cellulose increases transit time (though regression estimates on a sample of four? Really?). Now we test the hypothesis and the one study humanity has on the subject ()the one above) finds it false.

Your idea of science is akin to Freud's: get some data and make fit what you already believe. You need to switch that around so your beliefs fit the data, then you'd be following the scientific method. Here this video might help: