Trump Vs Mexico

Airbrush

What do you think of Donald Trumps remarks about Mexico? From what I can gather he said something like "Mexico is sending a lot of bad people across the southern border" not that Mexico is a country of bad people. The SMUGGLERS are the bad people, they are the rapists, murderers, and other criminals. Right?

What do you think of Donald Trumps remarks about Mexico? From what I can gather he said something like "Mexico is sending a lot of bad people across the southern border" not that Mexico is a country of bad people. The SMUGGLERS are the bad people, they are the rapists, murderers, and other criminals. Right?

Was he talking about smugglers, or immigrants?

According to this

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/16/donald-trump-announces-run-president

he was being absurd.

I gather that this is the whole of his speech (though it starts with a lot of gush from his daughter who seems not to have noticed that he's had to file for bankruptcy rather e lot).

You can see for yourself who he means.

“...They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing their problems,” he said. “They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some I assume are good people but I speak to border guards and they tell us what we are getting.”

He paints with a very broad brush for dramatic effect. What he is saying, of course, has to do with the flood of illegals coming across the US/Mexico border. The illegals come from all over the world, not just Mexico.

"They [the smugglers, drug cartels, in collusion with corrupt Mexican gov't officials who look the other way] are sending people that have lots of problems..."

It looks like he wants Mexico to screen the people who are illegally immigrating to the US.

Edited by Airbrush

These remarks seem to indicate that Trump was not addressing the smugglers, but rather illegal immigrants. Of course it does not necessarily mean that he thinks Mexico is full of rapists. Just those that cross the borders, I assume.

As a self reported Billionaire I imagine a portion of Donald's wealth is made off the sweat of Mexican labourers who immigrate both legally and illegally into the United States. As a capitalist Donald should know how important Mexican immigrants our to the U.S. economy. Guest worker programs are the best bet for those who don't want to allow full legal status.

Edited by Ten oz

"...and some I assume are good people" is really where he stepped in it. Clearly, his implication is that most are NOT good people, especially since he must "assume" that "some" are. Much of the reaction you're seeing is also in response to the disingenuous support he's receiving through various media outlets.

TDS did a nice job of highlighting this as the core issue, starting at timepoint 1:15m here, with the most relevant bits starting at 6:15m: http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/iumigd/slandero-gigante

As a self reported Billionaire I imagine a portion of Donald's wealth is made off the sweat of Mexican labourers who immigrate both legally and illegally into the United States. As a capitalist Donald should know how important Mexican immigrants our to the U.S. economy. Guest worker programs are the best bet for those who don't want to allow full legal status.

Do you think dirty money are more important than laws of USA?

That's really dissecting the problem with a mallet. We're talking abut one set of laws. Not all laws (and violations thereof) are equal, and if we are to denigrate anyone who breaks the law, there will be nobody left to discuss the issue.

"...and some I assume are good people" is really where he stepped in it. Clearly, his implication is that most are NOT good people, especially since he must "assume" that "some" are. Much of the reaction you're seeing is also in response to the disingenuous support he's receiving through various media outlets.

TDS did a nice job of highlighting this as the core issue, starting at timepoint 1:15m here, with the most relevant bits starting at 6:15m: http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/iumigd/slandero-gigante

One hopes his wealth doesn't buy him the presidency.

He is certainly wealthy (though significantly less so now with corporations and sponsors abandoning him en masse), but his wealth is really nothing compared to the massive influx of dollars Super PACs will be pumping into the race in support of other candidates like Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton.

f4tIYeu.jpg

That's really dissecting the problem with a mallet. We're talking abut one set of laws. Not all laws (and violations thereof) are equal, and if we are to denigrate anyone who breaks the law, there will be nobody left to discuss the issue.

Today I break laws, it gives work and money to me.Tomorrow I will plunder and rape.And it isn't surprising that they make.

USA with illegal immigrants are more backward because your spaceships are unable to travel with human.

Disorder in country causes disorder in brains of citizens.

I don't think Donald Trump could be good president, but your illegal opinions ennoble him here for me.

Edited by DimaMazin

Today I break laws, it gives work and money to me.Tomorrow I will plunder and rape.

Seriously? Then all adults here must be plunderers and rapists. and yet there's no evidence of all this plundering and raping that must be happening.

Or, maybe crime doesn't escalate according to your hyperbole.

Dirty vs clean is subjective. The tobacco industry is clean right? We have the ability to make our laws read however we'd like. We could create a guest worker program or simply allow everyone here with a job to just sign up and become legal. Labeling a huge part of the economy as "dirty" doesn't change the math. Doesn't address the issue.

I think Jon Stewart nailed it. If Trump had done his own backpedaling, one could chalk this up to being misunderstood, or using the wrong phrase. Since Trump decided to double-down and defend his choice of words, it's inappropriate for reporters to backpedal for him now. He said what he said, you heard him right, now it's time for the "journalists" to stop trying to explain what he "really" meant.

I think Jon Stewart nailed it. If Trump had done his own backpedaling, one could chalk this up to being misunderstood, or using the wrong phrase. Since Trump decided to double-down and defend his choice of words, it's inappropriate for reporters to backpedal for him now. He said what he said, you heard him right, now it's time for the "journalists" to stop trying to explain what he "really" meant.

Right. He can't claim being misquoted, or that he was speaking off-the-cuff and fumbled something. This was a prepared speech, available for all to hear.

Right. He can't claim being misquoted, or that he was speaking off-the-cuff and fumbled something. This was a prepared speech, available for all to hear.

And even if he went off-script on a prepared speech, he's now missed his chance to use that as an excuse. He's not saying, "You're taking this the wrong way...". He's defending the words that came out of his mouth, and I think it's shameful that so many reporters are willing to provide a softened interpretation, and one not offered by the candidate himself.

Dirty vs clean is subjective. The tobacco industry is clean right? We have the ability to make our laws read however we'd like. We could create a guest worker program or simply allow everyone here with a job to just sign up and become legal. Labeling a huge part of the economy as "dirty" doesn't change the math. Doesn't address the issue.

Additional people without knowledges are just additional problem for scientific development. Laws should define need in immigrants. Not you and not Swansont.

Additional people without knowledges are just additional problem for scientific development. Laws should define need in immigrants. Not you and not Swansont.

Here in the United States our laws are meant to reflect the will of the people. It is the point of our elections. Donald Trump will not be elected President.

Here in the United States our laws are meant to reflect the will of the people. It is the point of our elections. Donald Trump will not be elected President.

That is confused story: Trump beats the will of illegal immigrants, you beat Trump's will, laws beat your will. :)

That is confused story: Trump beats the will of illegal immigrants, you beat Trump's will, laws beat your will. :)

Trump is calling for laws that don't exist, for a wall that isn't there to be built. Trump is complaining about and not supporting the existing standard. Meanwhile our actual elected officials are moving the opposite way. The current administration has already helped push new legislation that allows children brought over illegally to stay and is pushing to allow legal status for all who have children here, a job, and no criminal background. Trump is on the fringe of this issue.

Well, looking on the bright side, he has solved the question of whether it was a one-off ill thought through rant.

I guess he's not trying to target the Hispanic voters.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/republicans/11734214/Donald-Trump-says-Mexicans-are-killing-us-in-latest-inflammatory-speech.html

He doesn't need to target Hispanic voters. He's already going to win the Latino vote, because he's going to get them jobs, because a lot of Hispanic people work for him.

Or at least that's how I've heard him explain things.

Edited by Delta1212