Ebola far from under control?

sunshaker

Is the media playing down the ebola scare?,

I keep coming across new cases of ebola, IN EUROPE/USA

After watching a bbc programme on ebola, we saw bodies piling up in the streets of africa, it showed this disease in a new light.

Now we have boat loads of refuges making their way to europe from Afica, this disease as an incubation of up to 21 days

http://www.ebolaoutbreakmap.com/

76 New Ebola cases this month 76 confirmed Ebola cases reported from Guinea and Sierra Leone since June 14, 2015 Ebola Situation Report – 17 June 2015

http://www.ebolaoutbreakmap.com/listings/76-new-confirmed-ebola-cases-june-2015/

I believe within a year or two the western world will have bodies piled up in our streets.

EBOLA SCARE IS NOT OVER IT IS JUST BEGINNING.

Is the media playing down the ebola scare?,

No, it has just dropped out of the headlines, as these things always do.

I keep coming across new cases of ebola, IN EUROPE/USA

Really? Then why don't you provide details of any? I assume these were all people who had been working in Africa?

I believe within a year or two the western world will have bodies piled up in our streets.

EBOLA SCARE IS NOT OVER IT IS JUST BEGINNING.

Forum rules stop me saying what I really think about this. Let me just say it is one of the stupidest and most ignorant statements I have read for a long time.

Forum rules stop me saying what I really think about this. Let me just say it is one of the stupidest and most ignorant statements I have read for a long time.

Why? bodies have been piling up in Africa, There are more and more reported cases in europe/usa if we are not ready like it seems we are not, it is stupid to believe this will not happen, While views like yours are common place to those who have buried their heads in the sand.

http://www.ebolaoutbreakmap.com/listings/ebola-cover-up-cdc-monitoring-1400-active-cases/

According to Fox News Channel’s investigative journalist Sharyl Attkisson, who recently reached out to the Centers for Disease Control, the agency is still very much involved in monitoring individuals for the deadly African-borne virus. The problem, says Attkisson, is that the CDC is covering up the numbers, presumably to minimize panic across the United States.

The infectious disease experts I consulted were and remain very concerned about this because if it gets out of control in this country because we will not be able to deal with it.

Edited by sunshaker

I love the fact that the ebola map site Sunshaker has quoted as if it might be a real reference has 4 links in its "Important Ebola Information" pages

CDC - check this is an essential one a good start

glenbeck.com - wait a moment isn't he a journo?

theblaze.com - hang on a second that's glen becks TV channel

prepperwebsite.com - really good disinterested medical information from the terminally unhinged.

If Ebola is on the rise, why is Big Pharma struggling to find vaccine trial volunteers? From a 17th June post:

Ebola vaccines left hanging as GSK, Merck, J&J scramble for trial volunteers

The race for an Ebola vaccine has slowed to a crawl as Big Pharmas GlaxoSmithKline ($GSK), Merck ($MRK) and Johnson & Johnson ($JNJ) struggle to find volunteers who are exposed to enough disease to show whether experimental vaccines actually protect against Ebola infection.

As the number of reported Ebola cases dwindled, concern that the companies would not be able to test their vaccines' effectiveness against Ebola disease grew. Now, the only country where new Ebola cases are still being reported is Guinea, Reuters reported on Wednesday. Researchers consider it the "only hope" to prove efficacy and cross the finish line on an Ebola vaccine.

"There's no doubt everybody is very happy we have so few Ebola cases, but obviously it's also a bit disappointing when there was so much effort and energy put into accelerating the vaccines that there are suddenly no cases for the trials," said the World Health Organization's Marie-Paule Kieny, as quoted by Reuters.

http://www.fiercevaccines.com/story/ebola-vaccines-left-hanging-gsk-merck-jj-scramble-trial-volunteers/2015-06-17

Why? bodies have been piling up in Africa

Have they? There has been a total of 76 confirmed cases in the last 21 days. Compared with a peak of 300 to 400 per week in Liberia alone. As facilities were rapidly put in place to cope with huge numbers of new cases, I think they can safely treat 76 cases without "piling them up in the streets".

Several countries have been declared Ebola free.

There are more and more reported cases in europe/usa

Have there? Please provide a link to a (reputable) news source with some examples.

No mention of that doomsday scenario here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28755033

if we are not ready like it seems we are not

We are ready. How many people have contracted Ebola outside of Africa? I'm pretty sure that is zero (during this outbreak).

While views like yours are common place to those who have buried their heads in the sand.

Yeah, of course. I'm part of the conspiracy covering it all up. You should join us: the pay is fantastic. But they don't provide health insurance for some reason...

This appears to have been written by someone in need of psychiatric treatment. Although, he is smart enough not to put dates on any of his fairy tales so people like you will think IT IS ALL HAPPENING NOW!!!!1!

If Ebola is on the rise, why is Big Pharma struggling to find vaccine trial volunteers? From a 17th June post:

Because everyone is DEAD!!!1!!!

Ebola cases on the rise again http://article.wn.com/view/2015/06/12/Ebola_Cases_On_the_Rise/

A must see bbc doc on ebola, watching this made realize how scary ebola really is.

now with all these refuges from africa coming to europe it only highlights the need for more disclosure about this disease.

!

Moderator Note

This is not a conspiracy site, nor a platform for fear-mongering. Deal in verifiable sources rather than pot-stirring.

WTF, this is not conspiracy or fear-mongering, it is facts, the video shoes ebola from patient zero to how quick it spread through countries, Ebola is not over just not in the media at the moment, anyone can search and see that it is still a major problem, and as in the video shows it only takes one person to cause epidemic.

offical figures never are the same as actual figures.

We agree, ebola as an issue to be addressed is not yet over. The point is that infrastructure and systems have been implemented to control it. The peak period is behind us. We must continue to be vigilant and monitor and move swiftly should an increase in diagnoses occur, but that's not at all where we are today.

Your posts unfortunately are laden with urgency and chicken little and idiotic sources being used to support your stance. That's what you're being challenged on directly. In short, you should worry more about the flu and vehicle accidents than about ebola at this point (or guns if you live in the US).

WTF, this is not conspiracy or fear-mongering, it is facts, the video shoes ebola from patient zero to how quick it spread through countries, Ebola is not over just not in the media at the moment, anyone can search and see that it is still a major problem, and as in the video shows it only takes one person to cause epidemic.

offical figures never are the same as actual figures.

!

Moderator Note

One uncorroborated source that the CDC is hiding 1400 cases (vs the likely scenario that is was monitoring 1400 possible cases) is conspiracy. Your quote even says "cover-up". You might note that report was from last December. Where are all of these purported victims?

Language like "bodies piled up in our streets" is fear-mongering.

Step the rigor, or this will get shut down.

Did you read anything more than the headlines? Obviously not.

The rate increased to 16 in a week. SIXTEEN. This is evidence that the disease is coming under control, not evidence that it is out of control.

Eliminating the disease completely is difficult because (unlike Europe and the US) these countries are very poor and have very limited health infrastructure. There are also people spreading lies about the disease not existing and that the whole thing is a conspiracy. That is why ignorant fear-mongering like yours is so dangerous.

A must see bbc doc on ebola, watching this made realize how scary ebola really is.

I thought most people understood how dangerous this disease is. That is why so much effort has gone into trying to stop it (admittedly it started late, by all accounts).

now with all these refuges from africa coming to europe it only highlights the need for more disclosure about this disease.

How many of those people are from areas where Ebola is?

What "more disclosure"? You have access to information (and misinformation) about it. You seem to choose to remain ignorant and try and spread fear instead of learning.

I am not ignorant of what is going on, But if anyone watched the video you will see how quick ebola spread from patient zero,

It only takes one person, there are many refuges from western africa heading towards europe, it can take weeks before symptoms show, within these weeks thousands could be infected and at 90% fatality rates it is something we should be more concerned about.

It only takes "one person" to slip through with ebola to cause an epidemic, All I am saying is that the media is focusing on these boats of refuges coming to europe but no one even mentions ebola.

I do not give a toss about headlines, headlines hid the real facts of the true numbers of this virus(politics) only confirmed cases where counted, which is roughly 5% of the true figure.

watch video, from patient zero to multiple countries infected within weeks. I believe it was easier to contain in africa than in our western countries.

I worry about my family/friends/country/world, one ebola carrier could infect a town or city before we even have a chance to act.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, I am just a worried citizen wondering why ebola has been swept under the rug.

-1 yes it was me. ebola is something to be worried about, not ignored or belittled by those for brownie points.

Edited by sunshaker

The conditions which allowed Ebola to spread so rapidly are largely not present in most western countries. It would also be easier to contain here than it was there. Government can fairly effectively shut down travel options and quarantine/treat infected individuals.

It has cropped up pretty regularly in that region of the world, in this case it simply infected more people than in previous years. Mostly burned itself out coupled with the medical/governmental response.

The conditions which allowed Ebola to spread so rapidly are largely not present in most western countries. It would also be easier to contain here than it was there. Government can fairly effectively shut down travel options and quarantine/treat infected individuals.

It has cropped up pretty regularly in that region of the world, in this case it simply infected more people than in previous years. Mostly burned itself out coupled with the medical/governmental response.

if you was an infected business man travelling around america with this virus, how many people states would you infect before you even realized you was infected within 3-4 weeks?

Travel is easy in america/uk the country could be infected before plans could be implemented.

if you was an infected business man travelling around america with this virus, how many people states would you infect before you even realized you was infected within 3-4 weeks?

Without realizing it? Zero. Ebola only spread when you are showing symptoms. "Humans are not infectious until they develop symptoms" http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

The R0 — the average number of infections caused — for ebola is 2, putting it on par with Hepatitis, and half that of SARS and AIDS.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/10/02/352983774/no-seriously-how-contagious-is-ebola

Now at this point, you're probably thinking, "OK. But an R0 of 2 is nothing to brush off." You're right. R0 of 2 means one person infects two people, who then infect four people, then eight, 16, 32 — the numbers go up fast.

But that isn't likely to happen in a place with a good public health system, like the U.S. Why? Because people with Ebola aren't contagious until they show symptoms.

So to stop the chain of transmission, all health workers in Texas have to do is get the people possibly infected by the sick man into isolation before these people show signs of Ebola.

Then R0 drops to zero.

It only takes "one person" to slip through with ebola to cause an epidemic,

No, this is patently false.

Stop it already.

We had this discussion already. We also discussed the massive outbreak expected to swamp US and Europe it is easy to extrapolate the scariness of it. The reality is different, of course. All recent cases that were not controlled were (as expected) in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone while being contained or gone everywhere else. And there is a slow down in new infections.

Those outside of the countries were mostly health workers in contact with patients and the most recent case was in Italy who is now confirmed to be healed. Certainly, the situation in the outbreak countries is bad and as others have noted for a number of reasons.

But let's look at numbers again (cases/deaths), data from June:

Mali 8/6

Nigeria: 20/8

Senegal: 1/0

Guinea: 3674/2444

Liberia 10666/4806

Sierra Leone 12965/3919

So despite the fact that the disease is raging in three countries, it is well contained. As others have said, ebola is so characteristic and only infectious when symptomatic, it is much easier to stop than other diseases (say avian or swine flu variants or even HIV or hepatitis).

Let us look at the developed worlds:

Italy: 1/0

Spain: 1/0

United Kingdom: 1/0

United States of America:4/1

Same picture, even if in contact with many people (as in at least one US case) none of the people living with the patient contracted the disease. In almost all cases the afflicted persons were involved in handling late-stage persons (e.g. family members). Note that even without quarantine there is no global threat of ebola.

While much harder to contract, and being on the decline Hiv has lead to 1,500,000 deaths worldwide in 2013, for example (do not have 2014 numbers). Contrast this with a total of 11,184 ebola deaths from the outbreak 2014 to June this year. Of course the burden is massive on these countries and they need every help they can get, which IMO is the part we should concentrate one (as opposed to the panicky non data-driven part).

Edited by CharonY

Yeah, Ebola is a painfully obvious a disease. Not like a parasite or something airborne. Talking bodily fluids here.

Realistically all you have to be concerned about are the rare flare ups. A male who was asymptomatic and recovering but is still infectious via unsafe sex for a month.

Personally all I've started doing differently is to try and sanitize after shaking hands at work. Lot of international travelers and coworkers who's hands I know not where they have been. I do love you all for coming here, but I love my health too. :)